• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP Source: Volkswagen reaches $14.7B emissions settlement

If you can get a free modification that prevents your car from polluting as much, why wouldn't you want that?

Because the fix reduces both power and fuel economy.

Because it significantly reduces the power of the vehicle?

Well then keep your car in the garage because it is not legal to drive.

It doesn't pass the emission laws. That is the whole issue.

Many local inspections would continue to pass the car as is and the "fix" reduces both power and fuel economy.

It's simple consumer law. If a company lies to you, and you end up with a defective product, the company should be penalized for it. Very simple concept, except to those sociopaths who believe ripping off consumers is the right way to do business.

I don't see how the car is defective.

Because the car is not road legal in its current state. The company sold the car that way and they knew about it. Its really not that hard to understand.

Because the car is not road legal in its current state. The company sold the car that way and they knew about it. Its really not that hard to understand.

Defective: having a problem or fault that prevents something from working correctly.

The car works fine. :shrug:

Defective: having a problem or fault that prevents something from working correctly.

The car works fine. :shrug:

Defective: having a problem or fault that prevents something from working correctly : having a defect or flaw

The car has a defect and a flaw. It is not able to be legally driven on the road.

Defective: having a problem or fault that prevents something from working correctly : having a defect or flaw

The car has a defect and a flaw. It is not able to be legally driven on the road.

The car works as intended, so no, it's not defective.

The car doesn't work, as it cannot drive on United States roads. Its like if you bought a TV and it has a power chord that could only be used in Europe. Would you not want to get your money back? I mean, it works somewhere right.

The car doesn't work, as it cannot drive on United States roads. Its like if you bought a TV and it has a power chord that could only be used in Europe. Would you not want to get your money back? I mean, it works somewhere right.

There is no functional problems with the car. If it is legal or not is an entirely different thing.

There is no functional problems with the car. If it is legal or not is an entirely different thing.

Obviously there is a functional problem with the car. The company sold it under the guise that it was legal to drive in the United States. Which it isn't.

They represented the car as getting so many miles per gallon, while meeting emission standards. That was a lie. Duh!!

It doesn't pass the emission laws. That is the whole issue.

It only does not pass ONE part of the emission laws. The NOX. On ALL other emissions it FAR exceeds the most stringent government regulations and further that motor beats the emissions of it competitors by quite a bit. It was the NOX emissions that the computer was set up to beat. They would not have tried to beat the emissions if the other emissions were also marginal. The reason the motor is so efficient is because it runs pretty hot, but NOX is formed at the higher temps that the motor runs. Sad thing is detuning the motor not only screws up the fuel efficiency but increases the other pollutant as well. The motor is a very good motor that complies with European smog laws that cant quite comply with one part of US smog laws.

Yea, pointlessly polluting the atmosphere is something we should all strive for.

Libertarians ideology has absolutely no mechanism for any environmental protection whatsoever.

They represented the car as getting so many miles per gallon, while meeting emission standards. That was a lie. Duh!!

Henrin is technically correct. The vehicle isn't defective, it's fraudulent.

It only does not pass ONE part of the emission laws. The NOX. On ALL other emissions it FAR exceeds the most stringent government regulations and further that motor beats the emissions of it competitors by quite a bit. It was the NOX emissions that the computer was set up to beat. They would not have tried to beat the emissions if the other emissions were also marginal. The reason the motor is so efficient is because it runs pretty hot, but NOX is formed at the higher temps that the motor runs. Sad thing is detuning the motor not only screws up the fuel efficiency but increases the other pollutant as well. The motor is a very good motor that complies with European smog laws that cant quite comply with one part of US smog laws.

In other words, it is not legal to drive in the United States.

In other words, it is not legal to drive in the United States.

Technically no. However it is by a minor margin. Quite frankly the EPA should have given them an exemption for the NOX as it was and is superior in every other way to any other engine and regulations as far as other smog components go, and fuel efficiency.

Libertarians ideology has absolutely no mechanism for any environmental protection whatsoever.

Which is why I'd think that India or China would be a near paradise for them. Something between India and Somalia seems like Libertarian utopia. Zero environment protection, freedom to discriminate, have as many guns as you want and low to zero taxes.

Last edited:
Technically no. However it is by a minor margin. Quite frankly the EPA should have given them an exemption for the NOX as it was and is superior in every other way to any other engine and regulations as far as other smog components go, and fuel efficiency.

So you want the government to give them a pass after deceiving them for profit?

Why would you not want to do one of those two things?

Well, if you wanted to keep the car, why would you bring it in to VW so they can make it run like crap, according to government mandates? Seems to me that there is more than one bad guy here.

Which is why I'd think that India or China would be a near paradise for them. Something between India and Somalia seems like Libertarian utopia. Zero environment protection, freedom to discriminate, have as many guns as you want and low to zero taxes.

yes, a heavily regulated communist country is a paradise for libertarians? Why? Because of some incorrect assumption that EPA regulations are anti-libertarian ideology.

Get a clue.

Well, if you wanted to keep the car, why would you bring it in to VW so they can make it run like crap, according to government mandates? Seems to me that there is more than one bad guy here.

Volkswagen should not have defrauded it's customers to begin with.

That's a lie.

Sorry, I should clarify. I'm referring to the flavor of libertarians who think we shouldn't have an EPA.

Back
Top Bottom