• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP Source: Biden taps Ketanji Brown Jackson for high court

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Friday will nominate federal appeals court Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, according to a person familiar with the matter, making her the first Black woman selected to serve on a court that once declared her race unworthy of citizenship and endorsed segregation.

In Jackson, Biden delivers on a campaign promise to make the historic appointment and to further diversify a court that was made up entirely of white men for almost two centuries. He has chosen an attorney who would be the high court’s first former public defender, though she also possesses the elite legal background of other justices.

Jackson would be the current court’s second Black justice — Justice Clarence Thomas, a conservative, is the other — and just the third in history.

The news was confirmed by a person familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss it before the president’s official announcement later Friday.

From what I’ve read about her I think she’s a good choice for SCOTUS.

He announces this as Russia is attacking Ukraine? Wow, how far left is she?
LOL. Sounds like an excuse McConnell would have used for denying a Democratic President their pick (while allowing the next Republican President to make their pick during another major international incident).

Ketanji Brown Jackson: A Dataset Of Over 500 Opinions - Opera News

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Friday will nominate federal appeals court Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court, according to a person familiar with the matter, making her the first Black woman selected to serve on a court that once declared her race unworthy of citizenship and endorsed segregation.

In Jackson, Biden delivers on a campaign promise to make the historic appointment and to further diversify a court that was made up entirely of white men for almost two centuries. He has chosen an attorney who would be the high court’s first former public defender, though she also possesses the elite legal background of other justices.

Jackson would be the current court’s second Black justice — Justice Clarence Thomas, a conservative, is the other — and just the third in history.

The news was confirmed by a person familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss it before the president’s official announcement later Friday.

She met Biden's qualifications foremost by being black. ✅

But is she also competent enough to hold the position?🤷‍♂️

I wonder how deeply the conservatives will commit themselves to looking like asses to the black community over her nomination.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think Republicans will largely handle it in a quite professional manner with little drama. But we'll soon see.

She is more than qualified for the position. I would hope she will be confirmed with strong bipartisan support.

That doesn't exactly scream confidence
Then I don’t know what to tell you. She’s already been better by the senate once and found to be acceptable. I think the best thing to do here is for her to be confirmed by a bipartisan majority.

Solid pick, recently consented to by Senate for DC Court of Appeals (?), and that opens another high profile seat (KBJ's) to be filled. I predict that will go to Rep. Clyburn's favorite.

She's one mighty smart woman and seems to be a very good pick. She's quite young too.

This should be a no brainer.

She met Biden's qualifications foremost by being black. ✅

But is she also competent enough to hold the position?🤷‍♂️
That's foolish. President Biden has a set of qualifications. She met them. He also said he would select a black female. She is one. Do you think there are no black females qualified to be SCOTUS justices?

I am very pleased that he made this decision. I had read all of the resumes associated with the potential nominees (some I had posted here) and I thought she was the better choice of all including the fact that she had clerked for Justice Breyer which made it even a better choice. JMHO

Biden to nominate Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to Supreme Court​

As the successor to Breyer, who was appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1994, Jackson would not change the court’s current 6-to-3 conservative supermajority.

Jackson was nominated to District Court just eight months ago and was confirmed by a 53-44 vote with the support of three Senate Republicans. Only David Souter, appointed by George W. Bush, came to the Supreme Court with less time on the federal appeals court — under five months in his case.

But Jackson also served eight years as a federal trial judge in Washington. At her confirmation hearing for that position, she received an endorsement from former House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., who is related by marriage. (Her husband’s twin brother is the married to the sister of Ryan’s wife.)

“Our politics may differ, but my praise for Ketanji’s intellect, for her character, for her integrity, is unequivocal. She is an amazing person,” Ryan said.
Born in Washington, Jackson grew up in Miami, where her mother was a school administrator and her father was a lawyer for the Miami-Dade school board. “When people ask me why I decided to go into the legal profession,” she said in a 2017 speech, “I often tell the story of how, when I was in preschool, I would sit at the dining room table doing my homework with my father. He had all his law books stacked up, and I had all my coloring books stacked up.”

One of her uncles was a Miami police chief. Another was a police detective. A third was sentenced to life in prison for possessing a large amount of cocaine. President Barack Obama commuted his sentence in 2016.

Jackson was a national oratory champion and student body president in high school and then graduated from Harvard University and Harvard Law School. She was a Supreme Court law clerk for Breyer, who once described her as “great, brilliant, decent, with a mix of common sense and thoughtfulness.”

She met her husband, Patrick, at Harvard where he was a pre-med student. He’s now a surgeon at a Washington hospital. They have two daughters.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...ourt-rcna15941

What to know about Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, Biden's Supreme Court pick​

Who is Judge Jackson? She once clerked for Justice Breyer

Current job: Biden named Jackson last year to a spot on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, where she now serves. Before that, the Miami native served as a U.S. District Court judge, nominated to the bench in 2012 by President Barack Obama.

Previous work: Jackson is a former federal public defender, giving her work experience rarely seen on the Supreme Court. She also served as the vice chair of the U.S. Sentencing Commission in 2009. The commission retroactively reduced sentencing for crack cocaine offenses during her tenure.

Education: Jackson studied government as an undergrad at Harvard and graduated from Harvard Law School in 1996. She clerked for Breyer on the Supreme Court from 1999 to 2000.

Personal: At 51, Jackson could serve on the Supreme Court for decades. She is married to a surgeon and has two daughters.

Rulings: In an opinion in 2019, Jackson dismissed an effort by the Trump administration to speed deportations. That opinion was reversed on appeal and the case was stayed after Biden signed an order calling for a review of many of former President Donald Trump’s immigration policies. That same year, Jackson ruled that Trump's former White House counsel, Don McGahn, had to testify during what was then a congressional impeachment inquiry into the president's call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

Fun fact: Jackson is related by marriage to former Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan. Jackson's husband is the twin brother of Ryan's brother-in-law. The former Wisconsin lawmaker testified on Jackson's behalf when she was nominated to the federal district court in 2012.

Prospect for Republican support: Jackson has won Senate confirmation three times, most recently last summer for the appeals court.

Biden's standard for black people have never been all that high.

She may be a great candidate. Will probably be seated. But when you paint your nominations in the name of race, you forever cloud their actual capacity.

Back
Top Bottom