• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

AP factcheck: Trump did call McCain a loser

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
AP FACT CHECK: Trump on McCain; Biden'''s stretch on virus

This is from the article above. By all means Trumpsters, defend him here.

On Thursday, Trump tweeted that McCain did nothing for the vets. The AP points out that McCain and two other Senators wrote the VA Choice bill, and Obama signed it into law. The law allowed veterans to get private care through public expenses.

The AP quoted Trump saying this: "Also, I never called John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES".

Except for the fact he did. At an Iowa forum he said this about McCain: "He lost, so I never liked him as much after that, ‘cause I don’t like losers" and "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured". That's straight from Trump's own words. At top of that, he's retweeted a post calling McCain a loser.

Now we're suppose to believe Trump didn't call troops losers, when he has in fact denigrated McCain's service and ignored all the positives he did for the vets. So when Trump said he never called McCain a loser, he is either lying or 'forgot' what he said in the past.

Do you Trump supporters really believe McCain wasn't a war hero and was a loser?

On Thursday, Trump tweeted that McCain did nothing for the vets. The AP points out that McCain and two other Senators wrote the VA Choice bill, and Obama signed it into law. The law allowed veterans to get private care through public expenses.

The AP quoted Trump saying this: "Also, I never called John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES".

Except for the fact he did. At an Iowa forum he said this about McCain: "He lost, so I never liked him as much after that, ‘cause I don’t like losers" and "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured". That's straight from Trump's own words. At top of that, he's retweeted a post calling McCain a loser.

Now we're suppose to believe Trump didn't call troops losers, when he has in fact denigrated McCain's service and ignored all the positives he did for the vets. So when Trump said he never called McCain a loser, he is either lying or 'forgot' what he said in the past.

Do you Trump supporters really believe McCain wasn't a war hero and was a loser?

You do realize that he can actually be both, right?

he did call McCain a loser. Biff is the actual loser.

You do realize that he can actually be both, right?

Trump denigrated McCain's service. It's right there. Trump claimed he never called him a loser, when it's well-documented that he disagreed with the notion McCain was a hero. I see no defense from you.

he did call McCain a loser. Biff is the actual loser.

PxErRd6.png

This is an interesting peice on McCain.

John McCain Wasn’t a Hero

I wonder if the writer used anonymous sources.

Well of course John McCain was not a hero to the folks at Jacobin. Anyone who was happy that the United States won the Cold War instead of the Soviet Union is a villain to them. :roll:

Last edited:
Well of course John McCain was not a hero to the folks at Jacobin. Anyone who was happy that the United States won the Cold War instead of the Soviet Union is a villain to them. :roll:
So we shouldn’t accept what this man is saying about McCain but it’s ok to accept what anonymous sources are saying about Trump. Sounds reasonable to me.

Trump denigrated McCain's service. It's right there. Trump claimed he never called him a loser, when it's well-documented that he disagreed with the notion McCain was a hero. I see no defense from you.

This is both, an old and extremely tired topic.

If people can't find something else that's even partially legitimate to be mad at the man about. Then this doesn't bode well for them going into November.

So we shouldn’t accept what this man is saying about McCain but it’s ok to accept what anonymous sources are saying about Trump. Sounds reasonable to me.

No, Overitall. I generally do not believe hearsay when it is related by anonymous sources over what was said behind closed doors unless there is documentary evidence to back it up (audio/video recording) to back it up. I do not automatically disbelieve it, but I have no reason to trust these anonymous sources who have given information to The Atlantic.

No, Overitall. I generally do not believe hearsay when it is related by anonymous sources over what was said behind closed doors unless there is documentary evidence to back it up (audio/video recording) to back it up. I do not automatically disbelieve it, but I have no reason to trust these anonymous sources who have given information to The Atlantic.
Well that just makes you and I Trumpsters because we expect more evidence other than anonymous sources who conveniently came forward two months before an election.

The four sources have been confirmed by at least 5 journalists. One named source, retired General John Kelly, whose son was killed in Afghanistan, has not denied what was reported in his presence, while at his son's grave.

The four sources have been confirmed by at least 5 journalists. One named source, retired General John Kelly, whose son was killed in Afghanistan, has not denied what was reported in his presence, while at his son's grave.
Diana no one is denying that there are anonymous sources. That’s not the point.

It was Trump's remarks about McCain that turned me against him. McCain in my book is a hero for having suffered through 5 and 1/2 years of being a POW at the hands of the North Vietnamese. McCain was offered early release by the North Vietnamese for being an Admirals son, he refused. The first POW caught should be the first to be released.

One can say what they will about his politics, but John McCain was a very honorable man and for suffering through what he suffered through, a true American hero. I can't imagine what he went through there in the Hanoi Hilton. Thank god, as a Vietnam Vet, I never had to find out. Then shortly after dissing McCain, Trump went on to disparage a gold star family.

I voted third party in 2016 as I totally disliked both major party candidates. This year, I'm putting politics aside, I'm not worried about ideology or political philosophy. I'll vote for Biden, mainly because it is the man himself, the individual, the person that I dislike. Politics doesn't enter into it this year. Just the man himself and his childish antics and raunchy personality. It's time for an adult to reoccupy the White House.

Does that make it untrue?

For me it does, considering the fact that all our intelligence agencies have stated Russia is making an even more aggressive attempts to interfere in the 2020 election than it did in 2016.

Diana no one is denying that there are anonymous sources. That’s not the point.

The point is that 5 journalists know who these sources are, and the point is also that those sources are anonymous because coming forward publicly has bad results for those who do, to which Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman and many others can attest.

For me it does, considering the fact that all our intelligence agencies have stated Russia is making an even more aggressive attempts to interfere in the 2020 election than it did in 2016.
Fair enough. I understand it’s too much of a hassle to fact check the writer’s points. And since McCain is dead in the words of a wise woman: What difference does it make?

:peace

The point is that 5 journalists know who these sources are, and the point is also that those sources are anonymous because coming forward publicly has bad results for those who do, to which Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman and many others can attest.
Good points. Can you speak to the fact that these sources waited until now to come forth with the accusations?

It was Trump's remarks about McCain that turned me against him. McCain in my book is a hero for having suffered through 5 and 1/2 years of being a POW at the hands of the North Vietnamese. McCain was offered early release by the North Vietnamese for being an Admirals son, he refused. The first POW caught should be the first to be released.

One can say what they will about his politics, but John McCain was a very honorable man and for suffering through what he suffered through, a true American hero. I can't imagine what he went through there in the Hanoi Hilton. Thank god, as a Vietnam Vet, I never had to find out. Then shortly after dissing McCain, Trump went on to disparage a gold star family.

I voted third party in 2016 as I totally disliked both major party candidates. This year, I'm putting politics aside, I'm not worried about ideology or political philosophy. I'll vote for Biden, mainly because it is the man himself, the individual, the person that I dislike. Politics doesn't enter into it this year. Just the man himself and his childish antics and raunchy personality. It's time for an adult to reoccupy the White House.

I completely agree with this. I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary, and hoped he would be our next president. Senator McCain always served honorably, was highly respected by both political parties and was willing to work with both sides of the aisle in service to the citizens of this country. Our nation lost a great man when he died; I for one still mourn that loss.

McCain WAS a loser! He was also a RINO ad a traitor. Next question.

Back
Top Bottom