• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

AP factcheck: Trump did call McCain a loser

Good points. Can you speak to the fact that these sources waited until now to come forth with the accusations?

I don't know that they did; I do know that an excellent journalist has been working on this story for months, if not years, and it has been verified by several of his journalistic colleagues and competitors. When compared with the kind of language Trump has used publicly over the years to insult military families and leaders who fell out of his favor, including John Kelly and General Mattis, it's certainly in his character to have done exactly what these sources describe. :shrug:

I don't know that they did; I do know that an excellent journalist has been working on this story for months, if not years, and it has been verified by several of his journalistic colleagues and competitors. When compared with the kind of language Trump has used publicly over the years to insult military families and leaders who fell out of his favor, including John Kelly and General Mattis, it's certainly in his character to have done exactly what these sources describe. :shrug:

That's a slippery slope of logic, just because its possibly in character for someone to do something, it doesn't mean they did.

I completely agree with this. I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary, and hoped he would be our next president. Senator McCain always served honorably, was highly respected by both political parties and was willing to work with both sides of the aisle in service to the citizens of this country. Our nation lost a great man when he died; I for one still mourn that loss.

Exactly how I feel. I back McCain all the way in 2008. Running in a recession year with the sitting president is of your own party isn't the best time to win the nomination. I think he would have made a great president. I always liked his independent mindedness.

I mentioned Kelly in another post about the fact that he became trump’s cos after the alleged comments were made buttressing the possibility that he made the comments of the current allegations. I find it odd that Kelly would accept that position if Trump disparaged his son. Even if there was a hint of that allegation I would walked away from any offer from Trump. That either means Kelly never heard it or that power means more to him. There may be another reason but I can’t think of one.

Fox news confirmed that Trump said MIA soldiers and those who died in combat are "losers" and "suckers".

If Fox says it's true, what more do you need?

Trump's dad got Trump a deferment from the Vietnam War. Trump's dad got one of his tenets, a Podiatrist who was renting an office, to say that Trump had bone spurs. The Podiatrist didn't have to pay rent for the rest of his life.

Trump is not a "loser" or a "sucker". It seems.

If you've been reading Trump's tweets, you know it's something that Trump would say. The thought that the troops were "suckers" and "losers" just popped into his head so he blurted it out, without thinking.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump on McCain; Biden'''s stretch on virus

This is from the article above. By all means Trumpsters, defend him here.

On Thursday, Trump tweeted that McCain did nothing for the vets. The AP points out that McCain and two other Senators wrote the VA Choice bill, and Obama signed it into law. The law allowed veterans to get private care through public expenses.

The AP quoted Trump saying this: "Also, I never called John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES".

Except for the fact he did. At an Iowa forum he said this about McCain: "He lost, so I never liked him as much after that, ‘cause I don’t like losers" and "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured". That's straight from Trump's own words. At top of that, he's retweeted a post calling McCain a loser.

Now we're suppose to believe Trump didn't call troops losers, when he has in fact denigrated McCain's service and ignored all the positives he did for the vets. So when Trump said he never called McCain a loser, he is either lying or 'forgot' what he said in the past.

Do you Trump supporters really believe McCain wasn't a war hero and was a loser?

Given his statement of 'he lost', it appears he's referring to McCain's election bid loss to Obama......... Not what you're trying to make it out to be.

McCain in that sense was indeed the loser. And he may have been a war hero but that does not make his later decisions and failures something that cannot be criticized. Especially the last few years where his actions became rather... odd. Likely due to his brain tumor.

Fox news confirmed that Trump said MIA soldiers and those who died in combat are "losers" and "suckers".

"confirmed" it how? What sources?

Well of course John McCain was not a hero to the folks at Jacobin. Anyone who was happy that the United States won the Cold War instead of the Soviet Union is a villain to them. :roll:

McCain's war record aside, he was a political opportunist and used his connections to avoid too much scrutiny into his abuses of his position. He was a big government, interventionist, globalist elitist.

McCain's war record aside, he was a political opportunist and used his connections to avoid too much scrutiny into his abuses of his position. He was a big government, interventionist, globalist elitist.
And a loser.......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

On Thursday, Trump tweeted that McCain did nothing for the vets. The AP points out that McCain and two other Senators wrote the VA Choice bill, and Obama signed it into law. The law allowed veterans to get private care through public expenses.

The AP quoted Trump saying this: "Also, I never called John a loser and swear on whatever, or whoever, I was asked to swear on, that I never called our great fallen soldiers anything other than HEROES".

Except for the fact he did. At an Iowa forum he said this about McCain: "He lost, so I never liked him as much after that, ‘cause I don’t like losers" and "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured". That's straight from Trump's own words. At top of that, he's retweeted a post calling McCain a loser.

Now we're suppose to believe Trump didn't call troops losers, when he has in fact denigrated McCain's service and ignored all the positives he did for the vets. So when Trump said he never called McCain a loser, he is either lying or 'forgot' what he said in the past.

Do you Trump supporters really believe McCain wasn't a war hero and was a loser?

yeah, because at least 10 people who were there say it never happened. I called a guy I know a turd one time, but honestly I never called you one. Your assumption is just biased and that's all. Trump and McCain didn't like each other at all it went back to years before the election. I'm not going to not vote for Trump in favor of Biden who helped his son get paid off from the Ukraine and China. Who has lied about being against busing, lied about not supporting racist senators, lied about graduating at the top of his law class, said poor kids are as smart as white kids, Didn't do a thing for judicial reform while in office, is a product of the swamp and abandoned any resemblance of being a moderate democrat for the extreme left policies. Has said he's end fracking and now says he didn't, but he's on tape. He lies everytime he opens his mouth and you worry about Trump. Hey, the media lie every day, just like the WWI claims this week, they admitted they didn't even check the story and Biden led off his speech with it. A lie, pure and simpel.

Fair enough. I understand it’s too much of a hassle to fact check the writer’s points. And since McCain is dead in the words of a wise woman: What difference does it make?

The woman was very FOOLISH for saying that because it obviously makes a HUGE difference to Vietnam War veterans who know Donald Trump called one of their comrades a "loser" for sacrificing himself.

I would just like to add that McCain despised Trump. He and his office were hands on trying to get him removed from office. He went seeking a copy of the now debunked dossier sending his aide to England to obtain a copy from Steele. And then turned it over to the FBI surprised to learn they already were aware of it. So how did McCain learn about it early on? From the company he keeps.

I despised McCain as a politician for decades because he would time after time **** on the base of the Republican party by his votes in the Senate. He would always play to the base at every re-election then never fullfilled the promises he made them.

I mentioned Kelly in another post about the fact that he became trump’s cos after the alleged comments were made buttressing the possibility that he made the comments of the current allegations. I find it odd that Kelly would accept that position if Trump disparaged his son. Even if there was a hint of that allegation I would walked away from any offer from Trump. That either means Kelly never heard it or that power means more to him. There may be another reason but I can’t think of one.

1. Trump had already made similar statements about McCain and disparaged a Gold Star family before Kelly came on board?
2. Were these alleged new comments before or after Kelly joined the team?

These are just points to consider. It is widely believed that men like Kelly and Mattis only joined the team because they wanted to protect the country from the president's incompetence. In other words, they knew he was a d!ck and decided to bite their tongues and hold their noses as long as they could.

And a loser.......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

In 2008 he had all the momentum he could ask for. All he had to do was pretend to the the "Maverick" me marketed himself as being. Then, instead of exploiting the energy his running mate was creating, he cut her off at the knees. On top of that he chose to cut his campaign short and go back to DC to vote on the most important economic policy decision we had seen since the 1930s. He voted to do almost exactly what FDR did in the 30s. Why? Not because FDR's policy was a screaming economic success but because it was a POLITICAL success.

For the political class in this country it is NEVER about the people. It is ALWAYS about the politics and the people are merely their pawns.

I would just like to add that McCain despised Trump. He and his office were hands on trying to get him removed from office. He went seeking a copy of the now debunked dossier sending his aide to England to obtain a copy from Steele. And then turned it over to the FBI surprised to learn they already were aware of it. So how did McCain learn about it early on? From the company he keeps.

I despised McCain as a politician for decades because he would time after time **** on the base of the Republican party by his votes in the Senate. He would always play to the base at every re-election then never fullfilled the promises he made them.

When all this "Russiagate" stuff comes out we're going to find McCain square in the middle of it.

When all this "Russiagate" stuff comes out we're going to find McCain square in the middle of it.

Yes and it is the actions of the republicans like McCain that helped get Trump elected.

Nobody gives a **** about the Russia stuff anymore. It's over and done with. In case you haven't noticed, several bigger stories have emerged.

But Trump is a WINNER! He never had to go to war because he suddenly developed bone spurs. What a brave man! We all should follow his lead into the jaws of hypocrisy!

Good points. Can you speak to the fact that these sources waited until now to come forth with the accusations?

It's obvious. The sources want Trump to lose. But just because the sources want Trump to lose doesn't mean they are lying.

That's a slippery slope of logic, just because its possibly in character for someone to do something, it doesn't mean they did.

Isn't it enough that it's in character for him to do something like this?

It's obvious. The sources want Trump to lose. But just because the sources want Trump to lose doesn't mean they are lying.

That also doesn't indicate they are telling the truth. Their motives indicate the obvious, that they are making it up. We simply don't know either way at this point.

Trump denigrated McCain's service. It's right there. Trump claimed he never called him a loser, when it's well-documented that he disagreed with the notion McCain was a hero. I see no defense from you.

1. It is pretty clear the President is reffing to the latest unsupported allegations being made and not to the other incident.
2. Others, including veterans have also denigrated McCain's service Maybe you do not understand, he wasn't well liked by everyone.

This is a Russia-based site.

Jacobin is a leftist rag.

For me it does, considering the fact that all our intelligence agencies have stated Russia is making an even more aggressive attempts to interfere in the 2020 election than it did in 2016.

And the only evidence we have of their involvement in 2016 was attempts to cause discord through social media and by false information through a dossier to damage Donald Trump. They succeeded when the left bought into it hook, line and sinker.

It was Trump's remarks about McCain that turned me against him. McCain in my book is a hero for having suffered through 5 and 1/2 years of being a POW at the hands of the North Vietnamese. McCain was offered early release by the North Vietnamese for being an Admirals son, he refused. The first POW caught should be the first to be released.

One can say what they will about his politics, but John McCain was a very honorable man and for suffering through what he suffered through, a true American hero. I can't imagine what he went through there in the Hanoi Hilton. Thank god, as a Vietnam Vet, I never had to find out.
Being a POW does not make a person a hero.

Then shortly after dissing McCain, Trump went on to disparage a gold star family.
Way not to recognize the President was responding to their attacks.

I voted third party in 2016 as I totally disliked both major party candidates. This year, I'm putting politics aside, I'm not worried about ideology or political philosophy. I'll vote for Biden, mainly because it is the man himself, the individual, the person that I dislike. Politics doesn't enter into it this year. Just the man himself and his childish antics and raunchy personality. It's time for an adult to reoccupy the White House.
All that says is that you are okay with the leftist bs Biden supports. That also makes you a leftist.

Exactly how I feel. I back McCain all the way in 2008. Running in a recession year with the sitting president is of your own party isn't the best time to win the nomination. I think he would have made a great president. I always liked his independent mindedness.

Of course you would back someone who was not a NBC.

Incorrect.
A reporter with FOX News supposedly confirmed an anonymously sourced story with more anonymous sources. :doh
And those on the left buy into it.
iLOL

The woman was very FOOLISH for saying that because it obviously makes a HUGE difference to Vietnam War veterans who know Donald Trump called one of their comrades a "loser" for sacrificing himself.

iLOL The only Vietnam veterans/veterans who think like that were already leaning left.

Back
Top Bottom