• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s mythical terrorist tide from Mexico

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://apnews.com/4a7792c523ab4b5984893b38c988d70b

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump and his officials persist in promoting the discredited notion that terror suspects are pouring into the U.S. from Mexico by the thousands.

Despite their portrayal of Mexico as a teeming portal for terrorists, the State Department issued a report in September finding “no credible evidence indicating that international terrorist groups have established bases in Mexico, worked with Mexican drug cartels or sent operatives via Mexico into the United States.”
===============================================
'No credible evidence' does not indicate a sudden need for emergency action on the southern border.

Hyping the mythical 'caravan' before the midterm election helped sweep in 40 Dem congressmen. Lies & hyping phony threats don't work coming from a man who has a real credibility problem.

https://apnews.com/4a7792c523ab4b5984893b38c988d70b

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump and his officials persist in promoting the discredited notion that terror suspects are pouring into the U.S. from Mexico by the thousands.

Despite their portrayal of Mexico as a teeming portal for terrorists, the State Department issued a report in September finding “no credible evidence indicating that international terrorist groups have established bases in Mexico, worked with Mexican drug cartels or sent operatives via Mexico into the United States.”
===============================================
'No credible evidence' does not indicate a sudden need for emergency action on the southern border.

Hyping the mythical 'caravan' before the midterm election helped sweep in 40 Dem congressmen. Lies & hyping phony threats don't work coming from a man who has a real credibility problem.

Americans aren't buying Trump's constant lies and fearmongerinrg. When he addresses the nation in a pathetic display of lies and hate, a few will be fooled but many will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Americans aren't buying Trump's constant lies and fearmongerinrg. When he addresses the nation in a pathetic display of lies and hate, a few will be fooled but many will not.

His base will eat it up and a few who started thinking will be stopped...Mission Accomplished.

Not many are fooled by the fantasy that a physical barrier on the border is "immoral" either.

Not many are fooled by the fantasy that a physical barrier on the border is "immoral" either.

Do you consider the Berlin Wall to have been 'immoral'? A lot of people died or were imprisoned trying to cross it.

If you factor in that a "physical barrier on the (Southern) border would be unlikely to impact our immigrant problem the it is a huge waste of money, money that could be used to do real good for our country, then yes it is "immoral".

I think it's immoral in the same way the statues of the Confederate heroes are.

If you factor in that a "physical barrier on the (Southern) border would be unlikely to impact our immigrant problem the it is a huge waste of money, money that could be used to do real good for our country then yes it is "immoral".

How's about putting that money into fixing our dangerous, 50+ year old Interstate highway bridges instead? The bridges that have collapsed & killed people.

If you factor in that a "physical barrier on the (Southern) border would be unlikely to impact our immigrant problem the it is a huge waste of money, money that could be used to do real good for our country, then yes it is "immoral".

Should we remove, or at least cease to maintain, the existing physical barriers on the border?

I think it's immoral in the same way the statues of the Confederate heroes are.

Should we remove, or at least cease to maintain, the existing physical barriers on the border?

Yeah where did that mega-moronic talking point come from?
SHEEESH

#LIBERALS #DUMB

IMHO, the "moral" objection is precisely because they know that it would work.

Doubly wrong. It won't work, and no, that's not the objection. If that's what you believe then you really have no clue about the opposition to the wall.

Doubly wrong. It won't work, and no, that's not the objection. If that's what you believe then you really have no clue about the opposition to the wall.

What is the basis for a "moral" objection to the proposed border "wall" which is not applicable to the existing border "fence"?

What is the basis for a "moral" objection to the proposed border "wall" which is not applicable to the existing border "fence"?

Are you folding on the effectiveness of the wall argument? Good, because it holds no water.

The wall is a distraction. Pure and simple. It's the latest chapter in the Conservative playbook that always finds a group of people to blame for anything that's wrong in America. Such blame is designed to remove the attention from the real problems, such as climate change, wealth inequality, lack of affordable healthcare, and so forth.

Are you folding on the effectiveness of the wall argument? Good, because it holds no water.

The wall is a distraction. Pure and simple. It's the latest chapter in the Conservative playbook that always finds a group of people to blame for anything that's wrong in America. Such blame is designed to remove the attention from the real problems, such as climate change, wealth inequality, lack of affordable healthcare, and so forth.

So is your reply - it avoids explaining why a fence is moral yet a wall is immoral.

So is your reply - it avoids explaining why a fence is moral yet a wall is immoral.

And now you lie. I already gave you an answer to your question. You just didn't like that answer.

And I'm awaiting an answer from you as to why exactly you think the wall could possibly work.

And now you lie. I already gave you an answer to your question. You just didn't like that answer.

And I'm awaiting an answer from you as to why exactly you think the wall could possibly work.

Nope, you gave me alternate talking points and have said nothing about why a border fence is "moral" (and was supported by Pelosi and Schumer) and yet a wall is "immoral".

Nope, you gave me alternate talking points and have said nothing about why a border fence is "moral" (and was supported by Pelosi and Schumer)

And now you're implying that I'm copying my arguments from other Democrats instead of deducing them on my own.

Come on, ttwtt. You're better than this. :thumbdown Tell me why exactly the wall would work.

A cheaper by far solution is to use our existing stock of anti-personnel land mines. The U.S. did not sign the international treaty banning their use as we depend on them at Gitmo & the Korean DMZ. Lots of big bilingual signs & maybe continuous loudspeaker broadcasts of warnings about the mines. They are not meant to kill immigrants or drug traffickers but to funnel them right up to Border Patrol check points.

And our crumbling infrastructure.

And now you're implying that I'm copying my arguments from other Democrats instead of deducing them on my own.

Come on, ttwtt. You're better than this. :thumbdown Tell me why exactly the wall would work.

For the same reasons that a fence works. I see that you still can't say why Pelosi and Schumer supported the border fence and yet oppose a border wall - other than the obvious "Trump wants that wall".

A cheaper by far solution is to use our existing stock of anti-personnel land mines. The U.S. did not sign the international treaty banning their use as we depend on them at Gitmo & the Korean DMZ. Lots of big bilingual signs & maybe continuous loudspeaker broadcasts of warnings about the mines. They are not meant to kill immigrants or drug traffickers but to funnel them right up to Border Patrol check points.

I'm sure that, after a bit of intense education, our wildlife and livestock would learn to tread carefully. ;)

Back
Top Bottom