• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s claims in his State of Union address

Donc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I wonder if the liar in chief knows about the computer thingy?:roll:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Associated Press is fact-checking remarks from President Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech. A look at some of the claims we’ve examined:
MANUFACTURING

TRUMP, in prepared remarks: “We are restoring our nation’s manufacturing might, even though predictions were that this could never be done. After losing 60,000 factories under the previous two administrations, America has now gained 12,000 new factories under my administration.”

THE FACTS: Not quite.
Manufacturing has slumped in the past year, after having advanced in the prior two years. The president’s tariffs regime and slower growth worldwide hurt the sector in ways that suggest that Trump’s policies robbed it of some of its previous strength.
Factory output fell 1.3% over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve. Manufacturing job gains went from more than 260,000 at the end of 2018 to a paltry 46,000 for the 12 months ended in December, according to the Labor Department. Manufacturers lost jobs last year in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — the older industrial states where Trump had promised a renaissance.
___
JOBS and ECONOMY

TRUMP: “In eight years under the last administration, over 300,000 working-age people dropped out of the workforce. In just three years of my Administration, 3.5 million working-age people have joined the workforce.”

THE FACTS: Trump is being misleading with numbers to tarnish his predecessor’s record. It’s not clear what he means by “working-age.” But the total size of the U.S. labor force shows that the president is just wrong.
During the eight years of Obama’s presidency, the labor force rose by 5.06 million, according to the Labor Department. The improvement reflected a rebounding economy from the Great Recession and population growth.

As the unemployment rate has fallen, more people are finding it attractive to work and joining the labor force. This has enabled the labor force to climb by an impressive 4.86 million in just three years under Trump.
___
TRUMP: “From the instant I took office, I moved rapidly to revive the U.S. economy — slashing a record number of job killing-regulations, enacting historic and record-setting tax cuts, and fighting for fair and reciprocal trade agreements.

THE FACTS: The U.S. economy indeed is healthy, but it’s had plenty of hiccups during the Trump administration.

Trump never quite managed to achieve the liftoff he promised during the 2016 election. Instead, gains have largely followed along the same lines of an expansion that started more than a decade ago under Barack Obama.

Total economic growth last year was 2.3%. That is roughly in line with the average gains achieved after the Great Recession — and a far cry from growth of as much 3%, 4% or more that Trump told voters he could deliver.

The tax cuts did temporarily boost growth in 2018 as deficit spending increased. But the administration claimed its tax plan would increase business investment in way that could fuel lasting growth. For the past three quarters, business investment has instead declined.

It’s too soon to judge the impact of the updated trade agreement with Mexico and Canada as well as the pact with China. But Trump premised his economic policy on wiping out the trade gap. Instead, the trade deficit has worsened under Trump.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump'''s claims in his State of Union address

Game. Set. Match.

There's the most important fact of this speech.

Reelection is secured.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Associated Press is fact-checking remarks from President Donald Trump’s State of the Union speech. A look at some of the claims we’ve examined:
MANUFACTURING

TRUMP, in prepared remarks: “We are restoring our nation’s manufacturing might, even though predictions were that this could never be done. After losing 60,000 factories under the previous two administrations, America has now gained 12,000 new factories under my administration.”

Manufacturing has slumped in the past year, after having advanced in the prior two years. The president’s tariffs regime and slower growth worldwide hurt the sector in ways that suggest that Trump’s policies robbed it of some of its previous strength.
Factory output fell 1.3% over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve. Manufacturing job gains went from more than 260,000 at the end of 2018 to a paltry 46,000 for the 12 months ended in December, according to the Labor Department. Manufacturers lost jobs last year in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — the older industrial states where Trump had promised a renaissance.
___
JOBS and ECONOMY

TRUMP: “In eight years under the last administration, over 300,000 working-age people dropped out of the workforce. In just three years of my Administration, 3.5 million working-age people have joined the workforce.”

THE FACTS: Trump is being misleading with numbers to tarnish his predecessor’s record. It’s not clear what he means by “working-age.” But the total size of the U.S. labor force shows that the president is just wrong.
During the eight years of Obama’s presidency, the labor force rose by 5.06 million, according to the Labor Department. The improvement reflected a rebounding economy from the Great Recession and population growth.

As the unemployment rate has fallen, more people are finding it attractive to work and joining the labor force. This has enabled the labor force to climb by an impressive 4.86 million in just three years under Trump.
___
TRUMP: “From the instant I took office, I moved rapidly to revive the U.S. economy — slashing a record number of job killing-regulations, enacting historic and record-setting tax cuts, and fighting for fair and reciprocal trade agreements.

THE FACTS: The U.S. economy indeed is healthy, but it’s had plenty of hiccups during the Trump administration.

Trump never quite managed to achieve the liftoff he promised during the 2016 election. Instead, gains have largely followed along the same lines of an expansion that started more than a decade ago under Barack Obama.

Total economic growth last year was 2.3%. That is roughly in line with the average gains achieved after the Great Recession — and a far cry from growth of as much 3%, 4% or more that Trump told voters he could deliver.

The tax cuts did temporarily boost growth in 2018 as deficit spending increased. But the administration claimed its tax plan would increase business investment in way that could fuel lasting growth. For the past three quarters, business investment has instead declined.

It’s too soon to judge the impact of the updated trade agreement with Mexico and Canada as well as the pact with China. But Trump premised his economic policy on wiping out the trade gap. Instead, the trade deficit has worsened under Trump.

Nearly everything he said was misleading or an outright lie. Par for the course.

Wonder how many of those new jobs were fact checker jobs. They've really had their work cut out for them the last 3 years.

Game. Set. Match.

Reelection is secured.
Just like that, huh?
As the Marines say, “wishful thinking is not a strategy.”

Game. Set. Match.

Reelection is secured.

I don't know if I've ever agreed with you on anything but I'd give him about a 75% chance of winning re election right now. To the OP, it's important to understand that facts really don't matter. It's all about delivery and spectacle. That's why Trump is so hard to beat.

Just like that, huh?
As the Marines say, “wishful thinking is not a strategy.”

It's over. You're not beating him with Bernie or Buttieg. Lol

Facts, smacks... no one in politics cares anymore about facts.

Stopped reading after the first paragraph of nonsense which goes off on some tangent and doesn't directly address Trump's remarks at all.

If some are dumb enough to fall for this, go right ahead and pat yourself on the back for being a dumbass.

Nancy tears up thre speech.

What a hateful bitch.

Game. Set. Match.

Reelection is secured.

Yeah, it sounds just great.

And, as Trump proves, it doesn’t really matter if it isn’t true.

Trumpsters never care.

[/FONT][/COLOR]THE FACTS: The U.S. economy indeed is healthy, but it’s had plenty of hiccups during the Trump administration.

What a shock, another liberal who doesn't understand data all supported by bls.gov, bea.gov, and treasury.org. In the liberal world a job lost that returns is a new job created, however 146 million Americans were paying FIT when the recession began, not until 2014 did we return to that level and by the end of his term Obama had 152 million employed. Trump had 6.6 million new jobs and 1.3 million fewer part time for economic reason employees than when he took office.

There is a reason that 56% of the American people support Trump and regardless of the growth the American people are feeling that growth in their bank accounts. African Americans are working at record levels and Americans are better off today than 3 years ago. The radical left better enjoy the next few months because in November it will be a clean sweep for Republicans

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Trump Job Approval - Economy

Trump has highest economic approval rating of any president in the last 20 years: new poll | Markets Insider

Game, Set, Match!!!!!!!!!

Trumpsters never care.

Post 14 are the results you want to ignore and come from the poll numbers of Americans, even though you call them Trumpsters

What a classless bitch Pelosi is, tearing up the speech, a typical radical California elitist used to getting her way from minions who she has made dependent by through money at the problems

Last edited:

Trumpsters never care.

I suggest you go listen to Chris Mathews reaction. He destroyed your party afterward. He knows it's over.

Seems to me like trying to make him look like a liar, the "factcheck" is comparing apples with oranges and asserting they are the same thing.

Foe example:

Trump says "12,000 new factories;" but what does the "factcheck" say?

Factory output fell 1.3% over the past 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve...

"Output" does not equate "number of new factories." Meanwhile, trying to distort growth in employment by attempting to make that growth a negative:

"Manufacturing job gains went from more than 260,000 at the end of 2018 to a paltry 46,000 for the 12 months"...

So there WAS job growth in manufacturing. Just not as much as prior reports. Yet it is still job GROWTH.

Hmm what other "claims" were examined?

___

Soooo, in eight years under Obama, job growth was 5.06 million, but in the THREE years under Trump it has grown 4.86 million.

If we average it out over eight years then growth was 700,000 per year under Obama, as opposed to 1,620,000 per year under Trump. By ANY measure one would say that is a MAJOR improvement under Trump, and in less time.

Of course, as far as the "300,000" dropping out, Trump might be talking about those early years where unemployment grew so much that the Obama administration had to extend unemployment benefits for over 3 years to cover the increase in unemployment. So when one looks at the early years during "extended unemployment benefits" and give Obama credit for 5 years, Obama's growth was 1.3 million per year, still less than Trump.

I could go on with the rest, but I think my point is made.

Last edited:
What a shock, another liberal who doesn't understand data all supported by bls.gov, bea.gov, and treasury.org. In the liberal world a job lost that returns is a new job created, however 146 million Americans were paying FIT when the recession began, not until 2014 did we return to that level and by the end of his term Obama had 152 million employed. Trump had 6.6 million new jobs and 1.3 million fewer part time for economic reason employees than when he took office.

There is a reason that 56% of the American people support Trump and regardless of the growth the American people are feeling that growth in their bank accounts. African Americans are working at record levels and Americans are better off today than 3 years ago. The radical left better enjoy the next few months because in November it will be a clean sweep for Republicans

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Trump Job Approval - Economy

Trump has highest economic approval rating of any president in the last 20 years: new poll | Markets Insider

Game, Set, Match!!!!!!!!!
56% of Americans don’t support Trump.
Several central states have lost manufacturing employment while Trump lies to the opposite.
I don’t need to underscore how wrong it is to judge a president solely on what he says about the economy, when farmers and workers are struggling and Trump is in court trying to take away health care.

MANUFACTURING

___
JOBS and ECONOMY

___

Awesome. I love the technology!

Seems to me like trying to make him look like a liar, the "factcheck" is comparing apples with oranges and asserting they are the same thing.

Foe example:

Trump says "12,000 new factories;" but what does the "factcheck" say?

"Output" does not equate "number of new factories." Meanwhile, trying to distort growth in employment by attempting to make that growth a negative:

So there WAS job growth in manufacturing. Just not as much as prior reports. Yet it is still job GROWTH.

Hmm what other "claims" were examined?

Soooo, in eight years under Obama, job growth was 5.06 million, but in the THREE years under Trump it has grown 4.86 million.

If we average it out over eight years then growth was 700,000 per year under Obama, as opposed to 1,620,000 per year under Trump. By ANY measure one would say that is a MAJOR improvement under Trump, and in less time.

Of course, as far as the "300,000" dropping out, Trump might be talking about those early years where unemployment grew so much that the Obama administration had to extend unemployment benefits for over 3 years to cover the increase in unemployment. So when one looks at the early years during "extended unemployment benefits" and give Obama credit for 5 years, Obama's growth was 1.3 million per year, still less than Trump.

I could go on with the rest, but I think my point is made.
Once again you are lying.
Obama added over 11 million jobs. Source: Jobs created during U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia

MANUFACTURING

___
JOBS and ECONOMY

___

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

It's funny how obsessed Republicans are with California. Trump says it's just awful because of all the health care they provide for “illegal aliens.”

Here’s the economic performance of the ten biggest states since the end of the Great Recession:

California.jpg

Meanwhile, the health care lies go on and on and on:

“We will always protect people with pre-existing conditions.” :roll:

Uh-huh, except for all those plans Republicans actually tried to pass in 2017 that did nothing of the sort.

Plus that lawsuit Republicans are supporting that would immediately take away protections for pre-existing conditions.

But it doesn’t matter. As Trump told us years ago, “You just tell them and they believe you.” And they do.

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.

Trump says he’s produced 7 million jobs in the past three years. Fact check says: True! But in the three years before that, Obama created 8 million jobs.

But you know, 7 million in three years isn't bad. For a Republican. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom