• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP: 4 out of 5 in USA face near-poverty, no work...

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Hope Yen
July 28, 2013

Exclusive: Signs of declining economic security​

WASHINGTON (AP) — Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream. Survey data exclusive to The Associated Press points to an increasingly globalized U.S. economy, the widening gap between rich and poor and loss of good-paying manufacturing jobs as reasons for the trend. The findings come as President Barack Obama tries to renew his administration's emphasis on the economy, saying in recent speeches that his highest priority is to "rebuild ladders of opportunity" and reverse income inequality. Hardship is particularly on the rise among whites, based on several measures. Pessimism among that racial group about their families' economic futures has climbed to the highest point since at least 1987.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Exclusive: Signs of declining economic security

4 out of 5 are struggling? That's just nonsense. You see that is false just by looking around. No doubt people are struggling. Perhaps 1 out of 5.

4 out of 5 are struggling? That's just nonsense. You see that is false just by looking around. No doubt people are struggling. Perhaps 1 out of 5.

I think what really increases this statistic is the number of people who rely on welfare for at least parts of their lives. That's an awfully broad statistic to include.

Most people would claim this is coming from a right wing source. Just so happens it's exclusively the Associated Press far from a fly by night source. Hmm..., I wonder if they checked their sources.

I'd venture the guess that 3 of the 4 out of 5 are struggling because they make piss poor financial decisions based on their unbridled wants.

It's "at some point in their life". In other words, a BS article that ignores the fact that Europe is worse and the rest of the world even more so.

The article is basically just a very broad pile of slop and a context drop.

1 in 5 Americans have never been jobless, near poverty nor received welfare... that's actually pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if, in Europe, that number was 1 in 20.

Last edited:
I think what really increases this statistic is the number of people who rely on welfare for at least parts of their lives. That's an awfully broad statistic to include.

No, it is just a nonsensical piece of information. It is wrong. It isn't worth any more time at all.

Back
Top Bottom