• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AP: 4/5 Americans Near Poverty, Public Assistance & Joblessness

Through out the lives of 4/5 Americans they will suffer either joblessness, living at near poverty levels (150% of poverty income) or on public assistance.
Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

Nice job obama the dreams of your father coming true.

Are you kidding me? Suffering joblessness simply means you leave job A before you start job B. Except for those that work only gov't "carreers" most change employers quite a few times during their lives in order not to suffer. Leaving a McJob to take a better position is not suffering job loss, it is moving up the economic ladder. Those totally dependent on public assitance has remained fairly constant at between 12% and 15% for decades.

Poverty in the 50 years since ‘The Other America,’ in five charts

If you think the problem is as simple as who sits in the Oval Office, you have a great deal to learn.

Are you kidding me? Suffering joblessness simply means you leave job A before you start job B. Except for those that work only gov't "carreers" most change employers quite a few times during their lives in order not to suffer. Leaving a McJob to take a better position is not suffering job loss, it is moving up the economic ladder. Those totally dependent on public assitance has remained fairly constant at between 12% and 15% for decades.

I like how you cite an article that very clearly details how social programs are responsible for the decline in rampant poverty. Are you going to stop trying to get rid of those programs now?

Last edited:
Through out the lives of 4/5 Americans they will suffer either joblessness, living at near poverty levels (150% of poverty income) or on public assistance.
Exclusive: 4 in 5 in US face near-poverty, no work

Nice job obama the dreams of your father coming true.

These problems have always existed, and the more severe problems we've seen recently were decades in the making.

But I guess it's just easier to point at the guy currently sitting in the white house, as if he has a giant lever marked "economy." It's probably right next to the one marked "gas prices."

Beaten to it, but it's also interesting that you choose an article basically saying social safety nets have had some success and we should keep at it.

I disagree with your definition of joblessness having been there. It is not leaving one for another but having one end before another is available and that is significantly different.

I disagree with your definition of joblessness having been there. It is not leaving one for another but having one end before another is available and that is significantly different.

That is true, yet the unemployment rate is not 80%, it is 14%. You are correct that "good jobs" are getting harder to find, yet I have little difficulty finding work as I will do basically anything to keep my income intact. When about 11 million illegal aliens (many not highly skilled/educated and lacking good English skills) can come to the country and find work to support themselves (many their dependents as well) it is hard to assert that jobs are not to be had. The idea that one can simply go from HS to find work at a job commanding a middle class income is gone and not likely to return, even adding a BA in underwater basketweaving is not likley to help. Competititon for low skilled jobs is now tremendous, one must identify and acquire a skill that commands more pay to move beyond that stage - thus separating themselves from the herd of prole sheeple.

Just as with two guys running from an angry bear, neither has to be able to outrun the bear, just be able to outrun the other guy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom