• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AOC is Twitter Queen!

Glad I can favorite that link, since wiki hasn't been updated in a while, it seems.

But still, whatever the case may be, the point is, the Gop has been in much worse positions before.
This is nothing new, but only part of a pendulum. I too, was afraid for the republicans when democrats on here(all the way back in the Bush years) were talking about the end of the Gop, and then, of course, the surge on and win elections during the obama administration, despite having no scandals at all(according to them).

No, the GOP has never been as fractured as it now. Trump has ruined this party. Ruined it. If you don't believe that, that's on you. Not me.

So, I just don't think it's prudent to trust democrat advice on what republicans should do with their party. The fact that their not republicans is clue that they have absolutely no interest in preserving the republican party, which it will be preserved. the US isn't one big liberal arts college campus, there will be people who are more conservative than you, and those will be the people who vote republican.

You don't understand, or don't want to bother listening -- this party is shot. I'm not saying it will never recover, but people are leaving this party en masse, and those are only the ones we know about. Not the ones who slink away quietly into the night.

As of right now, there are still people who support Trump. There will always be people who support him. But his numbers are dropping more, and his popularity is going downhill. The more that comes out, the more people are just like, "No, I can't back this horse anymore."

By 2020, you'll have an even bigger divide between the Trump Republicans and the Reagan Republicans.

No, I'm not. You're referring to the party as some collection of far away elites. I'm referring to the party as a collection of individual voters, and their concerns. It's not the name that keeps the RR from voting democrat in favor of republicans. They vote their values. You may not like their values, but that is what they vote for. Neither me, nor my parents, or grandparents, of whom my grandfather is an elder in a church, is "making money hand over fist". It's a community of poor farmers, who all have the same interests and likewise, vote the same way, all else being equal.

By the way, these same people who voted straight republican for president, senate(Texas, in this case, so yes, they voted for Cruz) and congress, voted for a democrat mayor, and have had a democrat mayor since as long as I can remember. Democrats can win, they just have to take up their values.

I realize that the smaller churches don't directly represent big bucks evangelical (white, straight) people as a whole. However, as a group they were backing Trump before Cruz was out of the race. This was well before the primaries were over. This was my first election cycle living in the middle of these folks, so I got to listen to them. I had one woman who had obviously just left church tell me that "Trump just dares to say what we've always been thinking". That was the end of April, 2016. Trump's dog whistles through a bullhorn worked. I still haven't figured out what deal Falwell Jr and Franklin Graham made with Trump, but they took it. Trump was a long shot then, so that was a big bet.

Values? As far as I can tell it's just a desire to get rid of abortion and gays on the surface, but deeper down it's about legislating a Calvinist America they think has been taken from them. Never mind the fact that that's a lie, they believe it.

They are strangely pro-military adventurism and big corporation plutocracy, at least until you understand why. That took me a while to figure out. It goes back to the 1930's.

I realize that the smaller churches don't directly represent big bucks evangelical (white, straight) people as a whole. However, as a group they were backing Trump before Cruz was out of the race. This was well before the primaries were over. This was my first election cycle living in the middle of these folks, so I got to listen to them. I had one woman who had obviously just left church tell me that "Trump just dares to say what we've always been thinking". That was the end of April, 2016. Trump's dog whistles through a bullhorn worked. I still haven't figured out what deal Falwell Jr and Franklin Graham made with Trump, but they took it. Trump was a long shot then, so that was a big bet.

Values? As far as I can tell it's just a desire to get rid of abortion and gays on the surface, but deeper down it's about legislating a Calvinist America they think has been taken from them. Never mind the fact that that's a lie, they believe it.

They are strangely pro-military adventurism and big corporation plutocracy, at least until you understand why. That took me a while to figure out. It goes back to the 1930's.

Sounds like you know the answers.....not really, but as someone who is kind of an authority on my own culture, that's some big talk from someone who's good at googling journalist smear pieces. How could I ever hope to correct you?

I can't. So I won't waste my time. I know why I believe what I believe, and I know exactly how the primaries went, being that I participated in it, so you'll excuse if I just casually disregard everything you insinuated on the grounds of being "pure intellectual masturbation".

No, the GOP has never been as fractured as it now. Trump has ruined this party. Ruined it. If you don't believe that, that's on you. Not me.
You mean, it was in a better position back when it only had 150-170 house seats, and less than 40 senate seats? Okay. Fractured? Despite having the highest approval ratings among republican voters in modern history? Okay, sure.

skepticism is entirely legitimate, and last I checked, encouraged. YOU need to own your beliefs, and not only have proof for that, but account for all the evidence presented to the contrary of your opinions. I think your insinuation is ridiculous, and I'm calling you out for it. The only proof you have is rhetoric and media hit pieces by liberal journalists. In truth, the GOP is only in an objectively weakened position, as opposed to an objectively annihilated position.

You don't understand, or don't want to bother listening -- this party is shot. I'm not saying it will never recover, but people are leaving this party en masse, and those are only the ones we know about. Not the ones who slink away quietly into the night.
I don't bother listening because the idea that the party is shot is stupid. Just stupid. Nothing else to say about it. If you don't want to be corrected in that mindset, then wallow in your defeatist fantasies.
As of right now, there are still people who support Trump. There will always be people who support him. But his numbers are dropping more, and his popularity is going downhill. The more that comes out, the more people are just like, "No, I can't back this horse anymore."

By 2020, you'll have an even bigger divide between the Trump Republicans and the Reagan Republicans.
And when trump wins in 2020, what will you say, then?

Sounds like you know the answers.....not really, but as someone who is kind of an authority on my own culture, that's some big talk from someone who's good at googling journalist smear pieces. How could I ever hope to correct you?

I can't. So I won't waste my time. I know why I believe what I believe, and I know exactly how the primaries went, being that I participated in it, so you'll excuse if I just casually disregard everything you insinuated on the grounds of being "pure intellectual masturbation".

"pure intellectual masturbation"

Whatever gets you through the night. Just remember that when the body of christ gets out of that bed it's sharing with Trump, it will need more than a bath. Yetch.

From each according to their ability (to pay more taxes), to each according to their need (for more public assistance) is a very appealing message to some inside this country. Be very careful what you (and Carl Marx, et al) wish for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_each_according_to_his_ability,_to_each_according_to_his_needs

Those with "ability to pay" have been getting a free ride for far too long so I am not surprised that it rings true to most Americans.

April 18 (UPI) -- A Gallup poll shows that a majority of Americans think wealthy people and corporations pay too little in federal taxes.

The poll shows 63 percent of Americans said they think upper-income people pay too little, whereas 10 percent think they pay too much and 24 percent think they pay their fair share.
The poll also shows 67 percent of Americans said they think corporations pay too little, as opposed to 9 percent who think they pay too much and 19 percent who think they pay their fair share
Read more: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...y-too-little-tax/1411492516225/#ixzz5ciWOOUFv

And the dems were a minority party until last year. They change places overtime. Dems get isolated to the coasts as they move the pendelum to far and the change they expect boomerangs back on them. That's why a right wing exists at all, to let them know when they've gone too far.

Yes, politics is cyclical, without a doubt. Equally certain is that the dems will abuse their power while the repubs will evenutally realign themselves to keep up with the changes. They cannot keep limiting their appeal to a demographic that is shrinking.

Whatever gets you through the night. Just remember that when the body of christ gets out of that bed it's sharing with Trump, it will need more than a bath. Yetch.

Someone who rejects christ is an authority on who christ would favor or disfavor? As if Jesus was ever an authority on political intrigues, which he wasn't. "Render unto caesar's what is caesar's, and render unto God what is God's."

[h=1]Math Vs. The Green New Deal[/h]Posted on 20 Jan 19 by THOMASWFULLER2 17 Comments
As a devoted Leftist I am encouraged to see young activists pushing for progressive policy goals. As an old Leftist I am somewhat amused to see once again bright-eyed and eager newcomers pushing for goals that are somewhat ambitious. As in unachievable without making most of the problems we face much worse. The Green New …

Back
Top Bottom