• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AOC doesn't know the difference between "surge" and "insurgent".

Fishking

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Did she prep this to basically start popping off in time to for April fools or something? I mean...surge most definitely doesn't have anything to do with insurgents. Is she also thinking in militaristic terms when people talk about tide surges, or storm surges, ect? Oh...and, of course, it's white supremacist because everything bad is related to that, even when it's not white people. It's then multiracial whiteness.

So between her not knowing the three branches of government, or that they are even called branches of government in the first place, not knowing what a garbage disposal was and being totally bamboozled by one, ect...how much actual world/global knowledge does she actually have?

AOC: Calling It A Border 'Surge' Is White Supremacist 'Cause Migrants Aren't 'Insurgents' (thefederalist.com)

“They want to say, ‘What about the surge?’ Well, first of all, just gut check, stop,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “Anyone who’s using the term ‘surge’ around you consciously is trying to invoke a militaristic frame. And that’s a problem because this is not a surge — these are children. They are not insurgents, and we are not being invaded. Which, by the way, is a white supremacist idea, philosophy. The idea that if an ‘other’ is coming in the population that this is an invasion of who we are.”

🤣 Dem's #1 bomb thrower. Every time she does she loses more of what little credibility she has left.
Let her keep going and continuing to do so. 🤷‍♂️

Trumpsters pointing fingers at other people's gaffes... Lol... This after 4 years of Trump and British airports in 1776...

Pro-tip: if you want to gaslight people about what someone else said, don't actually quote what they said.

It's ****ing obvious what she's saying: that the GOP is calling it a surge and that this is perfectly in line with their overall approach to painting people who present at the border to seek asylum as US law allows as "criminal invaders" or the like.

Now whether you agree with that or not is one thing. But why try to idiotically gaslight people into thinking she was saying something else, @Fishking? Just wanna stir the pot? Or did you genuinely not understand what she said? It's pretty straight-forward.

Did she prep this to basically start popping off in time to for April fools or something? I mean...surge most definitely doesn't have anything to do with insurgents. Is she also thinking in militaristic terms when people talk about tide surges, or storm surges, ect? Oh...and, of course, it's white supremacist because everything bad is related to that, even when it's not white people. It's then multiracial whiteness.

So between her not knowing the three branches of government, or that they are even called branches of government in the first place, not knowing what a garbage disposal was and being totally bamboozled by one, ect...how much actual world/global knowledge does she actually have?

AOC: Calling It A Border 'Surge' Is White Supremacist 'Cause Migrants Aren't 'Insurgents' (thefederalist.com)

“They want to say, ‘What about the surge?’ Well, first of all, just gut check, stop,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “Anyone who’s using the term ‘surge’ around you consciously is trying to invoke a militaristic frame. And that’s a problem because this is not a surge — these are children. They are not insurgents, and we are not being invaded. Which, by the way, is a white supremacist idea, philosophy. The idea that if an ‘other’ is coming in the population that this is an invasion of who we are.”

Where in that is she conflating “surge” with “insurgents”? She’s being pretty clear about her point.

It must be intimidating that such a young woman has such a command on the issues ya’ll gotta pretend you suddenly don’t understand English to “own” her.

Pro-tip: if you want to gaslight people about what someone else said, don't actually quote what they said.

It's ****ing obvious what she's saying: that the GOP is calling it a surge and that this is perfectly in line with their overall approach to painting people who present at the border to seek asylum as US law allows as "criminal invaders" or the like.

Now whether you agree with that or not is one thing. But why try to idiotically gaslight people into thinking she was saying something else, @Fishking? Just wanna stir the pot? Or did you genuinely not understand what she said? It's pretty straight-forward.

There is definitely gaslighting going on here. She said what she said, and it's very clear that she is confused. That's why I actually provided the quote. You making some kind of weak excuse for her confusing words that sound somewhat similar is no unexpected though.

This wasn't a gaffe. She said what she said deliberately.

Correct. She meant what she said. Are you *sure* you still think she was conflating something? Are you *sure* that’s what happened there? ;)

Like, AOC is out here talking about the border in a meaningful, substantive way and we got MGT throwing weights as a cure for covid and Matt Gaetz being investigated for sex trafficking.

GOP is just lost.

Where in that is she conflating “surge” with “insurgents”? She’s being pretty clear about her point.

In the quote. You should read it.

It must be intimidating that such a young woman has such a command on the issues ya’ll gotta pretend you suddenly don’t understand English to “own” her.

I love her in that it's fun to see someone so clueless be loved by the left. I don't know why ya'll do but it's fun.

Trumpsters pointing fingers at other people's gaffes... Lol... This after 4 years of Trump and British airports in 1776...

He's trying to call her a moron after cheering this sort of screaming idiocy on for four years:

DAWSEY: You said yesterday when you were leaving that you were skeptical of a climate change report that the government had done. Can you just explain why you're skeptical of that report?
TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...shington-post-interview-transcript-annotated/

Extra credit:

"Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything."

Trumpists never seem to understand that because Trump was so massively awful and incompetent in every direction, they pretty much will never again have standing to complain about anything any politician does.

Biden sometimes puts his hands on people's shoulders. Ok. Trump has 26 sexual assaults to his name, most of them rape, and bragged about ogling naked minors at his pageant because no one would turn him in. So on and so forth.

In the quote. You should read it.

I love her in that it's fun to see someone so clueless be loved by the left. I don't know why ya'll do but it's fun.

I’ve read the quote. She’s not suggesting at all that “surge” is part of the word “insurgent”. She’s making a pretty linear point that you literally have to pretend not to understand English in order to make your “joke”.

Is it that you can’t defend against her argument? She’s run circles around ya’ll since day one and she’s only gotten more popular.

"Da brown woman did maked da mistake! She so dumber and I'm so smarty. White people!"

Nice OP.

From the OP:

Pretty straightforward: calling it a surge is a militaristic term. these are kids, not insurgents.

If the federalist or whatever rightwing clickhole site you took this from thinks “surge” comes from “insurgent’ that’s just end user error.

Also: she’s 100% right.

I like her because she is energetic and very well spoken.
I know you favor folks who pledge allegiance to Qanon.

but then again, I am not a liberal.

The two words have the same root. And both refer to something powerful arising.

The Trump types (which includes the GOP MOC who speak out) and some media are calling this major influx of mostly children something that it isn't by using the word surge.

She is connecting the word *surge* to *insurgent* to make a point about how it's an overblown description.

I’ve read the quote. She’s not suggesting at all that “surge” is part of the word “insurgent”. She’s making a pretty linear point that you literally have to pretend not to understand English in order to make your “joke”.

Is it that you can’t defend against her argument? She’s run circles around ya’ll since day one and she’s only gotten more popular.

It's pretty simple. Surge means a sudden increase. There are tide surges, power surges, storm surges....she's making up a connotation that doesn't exist and then threw in "insurgent" in there from left field, that no one is saying. It's obviously she is confused due to some effect of homophonic issues and poor grasp of language.

It's pretty simple. Surge means a sudden increase. There are tide surges, power surges, storm surges....she's making up a connotation that doesn't exist and then threw in "insurgent" in there from left field, that no one is saying. It's obviously she is confused due to some effect of homophonic issues and poor grasp of language.

She made no such connection between the two words. You’re doing that.

The self-own is cute but I dunno if it’s landing as you intended.

I like her because she is energetic and very well spoken.
I know you favor folks who pledge allegiance to Qanon.

but then again, I am not a liberal.

Rofl..."very well spoken". That's hilarious.

Did she prep this to basically start popping off in time to for April fools or something?
Seriously? This is your complaint? I guess that's what happens when you read The Federalist.

It is routine for xenophobes to characterize migration in military terms, such as referring to migration as an "invasion."

And yes, the term "surge" is used in military contexts, including a huge wave of US troops sent to Iraq during Bush 43's term. It wasn't that long ago, y'know.

I'd also add that it is very clear that all the fear around the border right now is... well, yeah, a lot of people who are hating on migrants are racists, or are allowing structural racism to frame their views. That includes ignoring (accidentally or deliberately) a huge surge in southwest border crossings in 2019, or how a lot of the boo-scary!!! numbers are really just that COVID depressed migration in 2020.

Annual Southwest Border Apprehensions.png

Are we surprised that Trumpers are being manipulated through the intentional misunderstanding of English? Most of them have 6th grade educations. You tell them a brown woman said something wrong and they're happy all day. They're gonna tell everyone how smart they are and how brown women are only in congress because of "reverse racism" and all that stupid shit. Trumpers are easy to please. All they want is self worth.

She made no such connection between the two words. You’re doing that.

The self-own is cute but I dunno if it’s landing as you intended.

Make your weak excuses all you want. It's mighty generous on your part for someone who didn't even know the word for branches of government was or even what the 3 branches actually are.

Make your weak excuses all you want. It's mighty generous on your part for someone who didn't even know the word for branches of government was or even what the 3 branches actually are.

"She so stoopid!"

Spare us. You bought propaganda. You bought it because it's against a brown woman. You made a mistake, not her.

More and more people use the term "criminal invaders" so it's not that hard to grasp how she was referring to the same kind of people who use surge.

Back
Top Bottom