• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone watching the Sotomayor blather?

Fine how about this...if its okay to essentially ask Roberts if he's able to put his christianity aside and rule on the law, would it be okay to ask Sotomayor if she's able to put her ethnicity or sex aside and simply rule on the law?

Sure, though you'll look like an assclown, just as the dems did. Is there any ruling she wrote that made you think she wouldn't be able to?

Wow, my hatred of people who don't agree with me... :spin::rofl

If we are so lucky that Inferno returns to DP, ask her if she thinks I hate people who disagree with me. Or, just look in my visitor messages and see our conversations, and tell me if I'm a hater.

I get annoyed with people often. When individuals are doing things, or supporting those things, that take away rights I consider essential, I may well get seriously p***ed off. Hate, though? Hardly.

Maybe hatred is the wrong word, but you're really not assuming they're acting in good faith.

Maybe hatred is the wrong word, but you're really not assuming they're acting in good faith.

Some people act in good faith. Some of those people, however, are mistaken, misinformed, or exercising poor judgement, albeit "in good faith". When I encounter someone who seems to fall into this category, I try to enlighten them and generally am fairly polite, as long as they are.

There are however, others who make a great public show of being "for the people", when they are actually for themselves only, or pushing an agenda that they will not/cannot be honest about because a large majority would oppose it. Such people deserve no respect and get none from me.

I can be a little hot-tempered sometimes, but I'm not generally a grudge-holder or a "hater".

G.

Fine how about this...if its okay to essentially ask Roberts if he's able to put his christianity aside and rule on the law, would it be okay to ask Sotomayor if she's able to put her ethnicity or sex aside and simply rule on the law?

such a big deal has been made of the "wise latino woman" comment, that effectively questioning her on her ethnicity and her sex in terms of her judicial behaviour has pretty much been done already.

It nothing but a snorefest. Boring!

The Dems mostly seem to think it's either a eulogy for the nomonee, or a hearing on Justices Roberts and maybe Alito, and sometimes Thomas.

Since she's all but guaranteed the job, I have no interest in the entire proceeding. Why bother to watch it, if it's a done deal?

When are they going to finish those phoney hearings?

Here is a thought for all to ponder. Many of you are familiar with the latino organization called "La Raza". Could you imagine an anglo organization called "The Race". It would be classifed as a racist organization would it not. After all anglo's are supposed to be ashamed of there race. Why is it that La Raza is considered a ligit organization which garners respect in political circles? In fact Sonia Sotomayor is a member of La Raza. Thats right she is a member of the National Council of The Race , In fact her own words would indicate that she is a racist. You have all heard them by now Im sure "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." Sounds racist to me.

Lets reverse her statment. Lets say Chief Justice John Roberts said "I would hope that a wise caucasian man with the richness of his experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a Latina woman who hasn't lived that life." He would be tared and featherd and run out of town would he not?

The Dems mostly seem to think it's either a eulogy for the nomonee, or a hearing on Justices Roberts and maybe Alito, and sometimes Thomas.

Sorry, I had a dentist appointment and missed the whole thing.

Here is a thought for all to ponder. Many of you are familiar with the latino organization called "La Raza". Could you imagine an anglo organization called "The Race". It would be classifed as a racist organization would it not. After all anglo's are supposed to be ashamed of there race. Why is it that La Raza is considered a ligit organization which garners respect in political circles? In fact Sonia Sotomayor is a member of La Raza. Thats right she is a member of the National Council of The Race , In fact her own words would indicate that she is a racist. You have all heard them by now Im sure "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." Sounds racist to me.

Lets reverse her statment. Lets say Chief Justice John Roberts said "I would hope that a wise caucasian man with the richness of his experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a Latina woman who hasn't lived that life." He would be tared and featherd and run out of town would he not?

Firstly, I recommend you spell-check your posts before you post them. "tared and featherd" doesn't exactly work. Second, with that comment, do you really think that life experiences don't affect your judgment? Let's be honest here.

Firstly, I recommend you spell-check your posts before you post them. "tared and featherd" doesn't exactly work. Second, with that comment, do you really think that life experiences don't affect your judgment? Let's be honest here.

Sorry I left out an r in tarred and an e in feathered. I was not aware we had a english professor here at DP.

Yes life experiences affect your judgment. However, to claim that you would reach a better conclussion (oh dear, I included two s'es in conclusion) than someone else because of your race is in fact racist. This would indicate to anyone who was being honest that Judge Sotomayor is a racist member of the National Council of La Raza.

Sorry I left out an r in tarred and an e in feathered. I was not aware we had a english professor here at DP.

Yes life experiences affect your judgment. However, to claim that you would reach a better conclussion (oh dear, I included two s'es in conclusion) than someone else because of your race is in fact racist. This would indicate to anyone who was being honest that Judge Sotomayor is a racist member of the National Council of La Raza.

I disagree. Take a black person who grew up during the civil rights movement. They have experienced being a social underclass, fighting for equality, and achieving that equality, and with it, a more perfect union. It's something that I, as a white kid from the suburbs, can understand and appreciate, but I can't really truly get it, grok it, since I wasn't there and I didn't live through those events. They've learned lessons from those experiences that are closed to me in many ways.

I disagree. Take a black person who grew up during the civil rights movement. They have experienced being a social underclass, fighting for equality, and achieving that equality, and with it, a more perfect union. It's something that I, as a white kid from the suburbs, can understand and appreciate, but I can't really truly get it, grok it, since I wasn't there and I didn't live through those events. They've learned lessons from those experiences that are closed to me in many ways.

You are talking about different generations here. Thats a whole different ball of wax and happens constantly. A white guy that lived through the civil rights movement would make a better analogy...just wouldn't do much good for your arguement though.

I have a bit of a correction for you on "The Raza", it literally means "The Race" in English but it is understood as "The Struggle" or something similar in Spanish.

They don't actually read it as how it is literally translated.

You are talking about different generations here. Thats a whole different ball of wax and happens constantly. A white guy that lived through the civil rights movement would make a better analogy...just wouldn't do much good for your arguement though.

Why would a white guy be a better analogy? He wasn't personally being discriminated against.

Back
Top Bottom