• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone venturing out and about for Black Friday Sales?

Not me. I went out ONE time and never again. Way too many people and way too many pushy, rude people. I feel sorry for anyone who has to work retail this weekend.

Any good Black Friday stories?

I did it once years ago, and I will never do it again. I refuse to get down in the gutter and fight for a damn $5 pair of Chinese pajamas, or trip an old lady to get my hands on that shiny new thing she was after just because it must be good because she wanted it!

I worked all my life to avoid the poverty and weird urges that cause people to fight for a cheap ass TV to save $20 bucks.

Don't get me started! Oh, why did I click on this thread!... :(

At nearly 65 myself I am slowing down a bit too and using a helper more often on jobs that I used to do by myself.

I always guess ages wrong. I thought you were maybe 45ish. :)

I always guess ages wrong. I thought you were maybe 45ish. :)

Thank you, I guess. By opting to start our Social Security at age 62 we (my girlfriend and I) have been able to live quite well while doing less work in our self-employed handyman business.

I did it once years ago, and I will never do it again. I refuse to get down in the gutter and fight for a damn $5 pair of Chinese pajamas, or trip an old lady to get my hands on that shiny new thing she was after just because it must be good because she wanted it!

I worked all my life to avoid the poverty and weird urges that cause people to fight for a cheap ass TV to save $20 bucks.

Don't get me started! Oh, why did I click on this thread!... :(

I agree ten thousand percent. There was a story on NPR this morning about Black Friday and an expert on marketing and sales said that they are really bad deals for the store since the type of customer they attract is likely to not shop there the rest of the year and they lose money for the most part. He said stores and companies would be far better off rewarding their most loyal and best customers with loss leaders instead of trying to attract the bottom of the barrel who only respond to near give says which make no money anyway.

Thank you, I guess. By opting to start our Social Security at age 62 we (my girlfriend and I) have been able to live quite well while doing less work in our self-employed handyman business.

Welcome to the Social Security Check Cashers Club!!!!!! Twice each month I have very warm and fuzzy thoughts about our federal government - even with Trump in charge.

Welcome to the Social Security Check Cashers Club!!!!!! Twice each month I have very warm and fuzzy thoughts about our federal government - even with Trump in charge.

Yep, she gets her "free" federal money on the 2nd Wednesday of each month and I get mine on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.

Yep, she gets her "free" federal money on the 2nd Wednesday of each month and I get mine on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.

I get mine on the sixth Thursday of the month.

I agree ten thousand percent. There was a story on NPR this morning about Black Friday and an expert on marketing and sales said that they are really bad deals for the store since the type of customer they attract is likely to not shop there the rest of the year and they lose money for the most part. He said stores and companies would be far better off rewarding their most loyal and best customers with loss leaders instead of trying to attract the bottom of the barrel who only respond to near give says which make no money anyway.

It feeds on itself. In retail management you must beat last years holiday sales. So each year has to beat last year or you may get your walking papers.

Like an addict. They can't stop because they can't face the pain.

It feeds on itself. In retail management you must beat last years holiday sales. So each year has to beat last year or you may get your walking papers.

Like an addict. They can't stop because they can't face the pain.

Yes - that seems to be the rule they follow. That mentally cannot sustain itself over the long run. Its sad.

Oh no! Is this your first year working BF weekend?

So it wasn't as bad as expected. Yes, it was crazy busy. It almost seemed that people had more patience because they expected long waits. Completely opposite any average day, when even one person in front of them at the check out line is more than they can tolerate. Don't laugh, it is true. We have turned into an impatient bunch.

Anyone venturing out and about for Black Friday Sales?
Everyone except Momma and I went "Black Friday" shopping.

There's a whole lotta hoopla about "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday," but in the past when I've visited stores/websites on those days, none of the things I wanted were on sale. It's not that the sellers haven't got things that are on sale; it's that after I peruse the stuff they have, the items that appeal most to me aren't the ones that are on sale.

Maybe I shop differently than do many/most "Black Friday" buyers? I don't know. I decide I want something (a category of item) so I go to a store I think sells it. I look at what they have and choose the specific item, X, I like best and buy it. I usually won't buy Y, which is similar to X but different somehow, if I like X better, even if Y is on sale and X isn't. If X happens to be on sale, great, I've saved. I like that.

The other thing that's happened when I've gone "Black Friday" shopping is I end up buying things I really didn't have in mind to buy, but I saw them, they were on sale, so I just bought them and figured I'd later find a use for them. I don't like that I do it, so I try, with varied success, to avoid situations that inspire me to do it. "Black Friday" is definitely a situation to avoid in that respect. LOL

And God forfend I'm shopping with Momma, my lady or my kids...It's hard to deny them things and invariably, they say "oh, look at this...wouldn't it be nice....," "oh, this is so cool," "oh, this is a good deal and one can always...." The next thing you know, I've bought clothes, jewelry, perfume, gizmos, furniture, decorative accessories, and the little doggie in the window...and all I wanted was a "digital escargot fork."

More traffic, larger crowds, the sales staff have less time, the merchandise and store is messier and "rummaged through," lines are longer, the people with me impelling me to impulse buy, and through it all, I end up paying the same price I would if I just wait until next week or bought it last week, so, mostly, no, I don't bother with "Black Friday."

Besides, I don't particularly like shopping. I don't mind going to buy stuff I want to buy. I want to go to the store, buy what I went to get, and leave, preferably spending about five minutes or so. After all, it takes me about 10 minutes to buy a car, so I think it should take less time to buy pretty much anything else.

Back
Top Bottom