• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

anyone like punk rock?

t125eagle

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone liked Punk rock besides me. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash, Green Day. ?

I like Punk Rock and have done since the beginning in the 70's.My favourite bands were the Angelic Upstarts,Uk Subs,The Exploited and the Damned.
I got into metal in 78 when I was 12 and have never looked back,I'm 40 next March,so I've been into Punk and Metal for over 27yrs!

t125eagle said:
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone liked Punk rock besides me. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash, Green Day. ?
Green Day=punk rock? Don't thing so...They've been sell-outs for years now...

I was being nice for all of the Green Day fans out there. I think that they are too soft, but that's just me. My favorite band is the Ramones. I'd really like to start a punk rock band but so far, I can't find anyone else who likes punk rock enough to play it.

androvski, I'm actually going to a metal concert tomorrow night. If you go to www.myspace.com look up a band called TILTID. I think they're good.

My favorites, The Misfits, Dead Kennedy's, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, The Dead Milkmen, X, Black Flag, and my all time favorite Fugazi.

:
t125eagle said:
I was being nice for all of the Green Day fans out there. I think that they are too soft, but that's just me. My favorite band is the Ramones. I'd really like to start a punk rock band but so far, I can't find anyone else who likes punk rock enough to play it.

androvski, I'm actually going to a metal concert tomorrow night. If you go to www.myspace.com look up a band called TILTID. I think they're good.

My favourite band is Motorhead,first saw them on the Iron Fist tour way back in 82.You must have heard the old joke "who would win in a fight Lemmy or God?trick question Lemmy is God".
Have a good one tomorrow!:rock

Last edited:
Another 40 year old punk fan here...my favorite has always been X. But I also like the Ramones, Fear, The Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, The Clash, The Cramps...well, maybe The Cramps aren't exactly punk, punkabilly perhaps.

Frankly, though, I'm not up to speed on the newer punk bands. I know Green Day, of course, but that's about it. They're allright, I guess.

I don't think these new bands are realy punk, they are more punkish-pop. Hey I coined a new phrase, if you use it I expect royalties or I will sue.

gdalton said:
My favorites, The Misfits, Dead Kennedy's, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, The Dead Milkmen, X, Black Flag, and my all time favorite Fugazi.
The Dead Milkmen? I remember my sister bought me "Big Lizard in my Backyard" for my birthday like twenty years ago. I still love the song "Dean's Dream". The closest thing I listen to that's punk now is Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

shuamort said:
The Dead Milkmen? I remember my sister bought me "Big Lizard in my Backyard" for my birthday like twenty years ago. I still love the song "Dean's Dream". The closest thing I listen to that's punk now is Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

My older sister introduced me to punk rock. She was so cool. Still is. I will always be thankful for her guidance in the finer things in life, lol.

Operation Ivy, Rancid, Dead Kennedys, the Clash, the Business, and Roger Miret and the Disatsters.

most of the punk bands in my area are hardcore bands. I want to start a band though that is more of an oi band though but we'll see.

gdalton said:
I don't think these new bands are realy punk, they are more punkish-pop. Hey I coined a new phrase, if you use it I expect royalties or I will sue.

What is for sure is that punk will never be the spectacle it was the first time. Society now is so used to the images and the music. Back then, to a young small-town girl, opening up the Creem magazine to see a picture of Sid Vicious covered in blood was a real shocker. And the music was NEW. Unheard before. I know for my own kids, in this age of "commercial shock culture", (Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, etc.) they don't quite understand how outrageous and frankly, for myself a little frightening, punk rock was. I mean, these people really lived the lifestyle. They were a real sub-culture. I don't think you can say the same for punk bands now. I could be wrong, though.

It feels really weird to be "good ole days"-ing about punk rock. Wow this is starting to make me feel old.

galenrox said:
my older sister took me to an Atom and his Package show when I was 14, and that's what drew me in.

My favorites are The Misfits, The Arrogant Sons of Bitches, The Unseen, Oxymoron, Balzac, Voodoo Glow Skulls, The Independents, The Teen Idols, The Rolemodels, Criminal Class USA, Against All Authority, and the Cockney Rejects.

I used to like the Cockney Rejects,especially "Hate of the City" and"OI!OI!OI!"
Another band I liked was the Ruts,"Babylons Burning" is a classic!

I'm scared as to how our children will choose to rebel against us as their parents, I mean what are they going to do ware penny loafers and pink polo's, make straight A's, and come home early on a Friday night all sober and stuff.

gdalton said:
I'm scared as to how our children will choose to rebel against us as their parents, I mean what are they going to do ware penny loafers and pink polo's, make straight A's, and come home early on a Friday night all sober and stuff.

A lot of the youngsters these days are really lame(not all Galen).
Over here we've got these sad twats we call chavs,that's about as rebellious as they get round these parts these days

Boring!

see www.chavscum.co.uk

Last edited:
gdalton said:

I'll probably catch a lot of flak from this, but what the hell, it's only my observation. Kids these days....they rebel by being stupid. Being ignorant and totally absorbed in materialism is the rebellion of the 21st century. It's more frightening than any amount of mohawks and safety pinned flesh.

Now I don't mean this to say that ALL children are this way, because I know they are not. I have kids myself and while of course they are brilliant :mrgreen: , a lot of their friends seem to take pride in their own under-achievement. Without having any particular talents or wit or passions to make them interesting. Again this is just my own observation.

And I want to address to any young people that are on this forum - you don't count. Obviously you have enough interest in the world to seek this place out and I commend you for it. You are the hope of your generation. Go forth. Teach. Live long and prosper.

mixedmedia said:
And I want to address to any young people that are on this forum - you don't count. Obviously you have enough interest in the world to seek this place out and I commend you for it. You are the hope of your generation. Go forth. Teach. Live long and prosper.

There couldn't be any Chavs on this forum,most of them have trouble stringing a sentence together:lol:

Androvski said:
There couldn't be any Chavs on this forum,most of them have trouble stringing a sentence together:lol:

What is a chav anyway? What's their raison d'etre?

Buzzcocks are my fave of the original punk bands. The Jam, too, if one considers them punk.

In the late seventies a lot of stuff was called punk that probably wouldn't qualify as punk today, so it's hard to tell. I remember people referring to Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Television, Sioxsie and The Banshees and others as punk.

I've seen quite a few of the bands from the late seventies that were punk or punkish at the time, though, including the Damned, The Pistils, The Ramones, Wire The Stranglers, etc. Also saw Elvis C on his first American tour. That was pretty fun.

Gardener said:
Buzzcocks are my fave of the original punk bands. The Jam, too, if one considers them punk.

In the late seventies a lot of stuff was called punk that probably wouldn't qualify as punk today, so it's hard to tell. I remember people referring to Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Television, Sioxsie and The Banshees and others as punk.

I've seen quite a few of the bands from the late seventies that were punk or punkish at the time, though, including the Damned, The Pistils, The Ramones, Wire The Stranglers, etc. Also saw Elvis C on his first American tour. That was pretty fun.

I always looked on the Jam as a Mod band,though I did like them,some really good songs,Eton Rifles,Going Underground and in the City are my favs.

mixedmedia said:
What is a chav anyway? What's their raison d'etre?

See www.chavscum.co.uk that will explain better than me!
All I can say is they are like sheep only less intelligent,inverted Darwinism you could say!

Last edited:
Androvski said:
I always looked on the Jam as a Mod band,though I did like them,some really good songs,Eton Rifles,Going Underground and in the City are my favs.

Yeah, I don't really consider them punk, either. Back then, though, all the various musical niches weren't so distinct, so a whole lot of bands that arrived on the scene in 77-79 were just swept up under the same classification.

Going Underground is my fave, too. Great song!

Paul Weller borrowed a hankerchief of mine after a show in 1978 and still hasn't given it back.

Somehow, I imagine I remember that fact a little more than he does.

God I love metal.

Metal and Indie music is the very reason why I wake up, no seriously, if it wasn't for my Metal CD for an alarm clock.. I wouldn't wake up.

Started liking metal a couple years ago, same for Indie. Before that I was all big into Anti-Flag, etc.

Going to Minus The Bear concert Wednesday 28th! Then Yet Another Prayer on October 1st!

Back
Top Bottom