• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone know anything good around Atlanta

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Kinda stuck here for a while, and I most def think I'm allergic, or the stat is allergic to me. Got almost laid off, promoted and forced to move here, wifey still in TX going back in August, but it's been a ride. Came in Sept, left in Nov, Came back 2 weeks ago to find my apartment was flooded by a leak 3 FLOORS UP, to find my:
Serta Sleeper Bed Stolen
Power Base stolen
Drone gone
Batteries for drone gone
Clothes mildewed
Cast Iron gone
Rice cooker, gone
Can opener gone
Stand mixer gone
Other various nicnacks gone...
And me, here in this state alone till aug. (she was going to come with me, but then got offered a huge portion of stock, I have to come back because I owe 10K if I quit/fired before July 2023 (drops to half in July22)

So, that sad sop of a story aside, anyone know cool stuff in GA to do??

I read the Atlanta Zoo is one of only four in the United States that has giant pandas.

@Redress @Patriotic Voter
The zoo wasn't high on my list, but maybe I'll reconsider. DEF going to the Aquarium Sat if my CAR isn't fubar. Going to the shop Thursday, check engine light came on. got a habenero orange Jetta 6 speed :) BUT.. that light has me concerned, I think it's probably a filter clogged by pollen ngl.

Kinda stuck here for a while, and I most def think I'm allergic, or the stat is allergic to me. Got almost laid off, promoted and forced to move here, wifey still in TX going back in August, but it's been a ride. Came in Sept, left in Nov, Came back 2 weeks ago to find my apartment was flooded by a leak 3 FLOORS UP, to find my:
Serta Sleeper Bed Stolen
Power Base stolen
Drone gone
Batteries for drone gone
Clothes mildewed
Cast Iron gone
Rice cooker, gone
Can opener gone
Stand mixer gone
And me, here in this state alone till aug. (she was going to come with me, but then got offered a huge portion of stock, I have to come back because I owe 10K if I quit/fired before July 2023 (drops to half in July22)

Holy shit, you're back.

Depends on what you want to do and when you'll be there. Here's a good place to start.

Atlanta Zoo is awesome, major gorilla preserve.
Aquarium
Natural History Museum
Six Flags
The Fabulous Fox Theater (restored 1920s movie palace)
The laser-light show at Stone Mountain park
Underground Atlanta (shopping) is pretty cool if maybe overrated, have not been in quite a while.

... all kinds of things really.

Savannah has a cool seafood festival down by the riverside. The cobbled streets are pretty, if a little rough to walk on.

Savannah has some awesome beach sites too.

It's not far from Atlanta to good places for hunting, fishing, camping, boating and hiking also.

@Redress @Patriotic Voter
The zoo wasn't high on my list, but maybe I'll reconsider. DEF going to the Aquarium Sat if my CAR isn't fubar. Going to the shop Thursday, check engine light came on. got a habenero orange Jetta 6 speed :) BUT.. that light has me concerned, I think it's probably a filter clogged by pollen ngl.
Just a note, you have to book in advance for the aquarium. When I went, we did the same day, but several hours in advance. You need to already have your ticket when you get there kinda thing.

Edit: if you are a history buff at all, several civil war sites in the area worth visiting.

Just a note, you have to book in advance for the aquarium. When I went, we did the same day, but several hours in advance. You need to already have your ticket when you get there kinda thing.

Edit: if you are a history buff at all, several civil war sites in the area worth visiting.
Ohhh, snap. I guess I need to look at that eh? Danke! Tickets in advance. And yes I am a history buff. My son moved to FL and settling in with his GF in August, going to visit him, he's just down the road from Cape Canaveral.

Serta Sleeper Bed Stolen
Power Base stolen
Drone gone
Batteries for drone gone
Clothes mildewed
Cast Iron gone
Rice cooker, gone
Can opener gone
Stand mixer gone

Wow, you in the perimeter? Sorry about that. I've got lots of stories, but none since I moved outside.

Yes to the aquarium - probably the best in the country. Yes to the zoo if you really like animals, but sooner rather than later because it gets hot. Fernbank is a pretty typical natural history museum. There's also the world of Coke, which is right by the aquarium and can be done on the same day. There's a little history and you can sample a million different soda flavors they produce and ship all over the world - pretty touristy, not for everyone, but something to do.

They film a ton of movies and tv shows here. If you're in to that sort of thing, they offer tours and such of locations (e.g walking dead, stranger things) and studios. Don't know if it's picked back up since covid, but the morning news used to always announce casting calls for extras in a lot of productions. If you're off on a weekday, go to a taping of Family Feud...

As with any city - try out the food!

Serta Sleeper Bed Stolen
Power Base stolen
Drone gone
Batteries for drone gone
Clothes mildewed
Cast Iron gone
Rice cooker, gone
Can opener gone
Stand mixer gone

The aquarium is OK, maybe catch a Braves game. One thing you don't want to miss is The Varsity. It's a little drive-in type restaurant near Georgia Tech, and it has the best chili dawgs on the planet.

The aquarium is OK, maybe catch a Braves game. One thing you don't want to miss is The Varsity. It's a little drive-in type restaurant near Georgia Tech, and it has the best chili dawgs on the planet.
Hmm... as I feel I personally make great chili, I must test this theory of yours, thank you!

Hmm... as I feel I personally make great chili, I must test this theory of yours, thank you!

Quite welcome! Try the slaw dog as well. Any time I go to Atlanta, I completely blow my carb count for the day, but it's soooooo worth it.

Glad to see you back.

Wow, you in the perimeter? Sorry about that. I've got lots of stories, but none since I moved outside.

Yes to the aquarium - probably the best in the country. Yes to the zoo if you really like animals, but sooner rather than later because it gets hot. Fernbank is a pretty typical natural history museum. There's also the world of Coke, which is right by the aquarium and can be done on the same day. There's a little history and you can sample a million different soda flavors they produce and ship all over the world - pretty touristy, not for everyone, but something to do.

They film a ton of movies and tv shows here. If you're in to that sort of thing, they offer tours and such of locations (e.g walking dead, stranger things) and studios. Don't know if it's picked back up since covid, but the morning news used to always announce casting calls for extras in a lot of productions. If you're off on a weekday, go to a taping of Family Feud...

As with any city - try out the food!
Negative, Peach Tree Cornors/Norcross :) I was warned about that, live OTP...

If you go through the drive thru for your $4 hot dog and hand them a $20, they'll ask if you want change. 😄

Negative, Peach Tree Cornors/Norcross :) I was warned about that, live OTP...
Well... huh. You're not far from me. Crime has been on the rise, I'll have to start locking my doors!

Serta Sleeper Bed Stolen
Power Base stolen
Drone gone
Batteries for drone gone
Clothes mildewed
Cast Iron gone
Rice cooker, gone
Can opener gone
Stand mixer gone

Yeah. Any northbound freeway that will return you to the 21st Century.

Well... huh. You're not far from me. Crime has been on the rise, I'll have to start locking my doors!
As it wasn't a forced entry, the complex is claiming I left my doors unlocked, the officer that responded noted the manual window locks I put in and was like "This was maintenance".
But yeah crime is rising, not happy about it. One of the people on my team got car jacked Lawrenceville! I was on bowling leagues (at the stars and strikes Buford and Lawrenceville) when I was here in Sept-Nov but had to leave so... and not staying past 31Aug so.. boffo on that idea.

If you go through the drive thru for your $4 hot dog and hand them a $20, they'll ask if you want change. 😄
Right oh, will remember that. I did try that Crystal burger when I was here last year, that was.. that was nasty. Just nasty.

Right oh, will remember that. I did try that Crystal burger when I was here last year, that was.. that was nasty. Just nasty.
I tried it once too. Once.

Dammit!!! You beat me to it!!

"What'll ya have!"

My first wife's older sister is married to an Atlanta broadcasting legend, former NBC reporter Kenley Jones.
He used to go fishing all the time with his buddy Tom Brokaw.
When Linda took me down to Atlanta to meet the fam I got the super-deluxe tour of all of it, including The Varsity Grill.

hqdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom