• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone know about Smart tvs?

How do the other people in your household or, indeed the neighbors, feel about you blasting your TV at the highest volume possible?

I only did that a few times for short periods, so there have been no complaints.

TV?

As in a device to decode electronic signals into live action video broadcast through the air...?

No. I'm not much good with that. I used to work in TV, making the shit you watch. It's kind of like working in a sausage factory...after one day you do not want that product. Ever.

You do know that it is addictive, right? And it was invented by a communist? And the airwaves are controlled by satan? And the radiation from a screen will make you sterile? And, oh, it kills brain cells. That's why commericals are so ****ing stupid.....the average emotional age of a viewer is 13, if they have slot cars.
LOL I've had Roku since Aug and just turned it on for the first time a week ago. My brain still works.

I absolutely love Roku TV. Every TV I have is Roku. I won’t ever buy anything else.

I’ve had horrible luck with Vizio, Samsung, Sharp, etc.

I'm giving you a 1/2 like... Lol.. I Agree with you on Roku.. Not on Vizio, Samsung.. Lol

Dude I saved and saved to come up with the money to buy a Sharp Aquos. Ended up being the most expensive, worst tv I have ever had. 😂

I absolutely love Roku TV. Every TV I have is Roku. I won’t ever buy anything else.

I’ve had horrible luck with Vizio, Samsung, Sharp, etc.
Some people have what I call "negative electronic karma" where they seem to get more than than their share of lemons. Me? Every TV I've ever owned, from el cheapo to decent price (I never spring for the high dollar ones, don't think they're worth it) has worked for many years. My first LCD TV was handed down to my daughter and she finally put it to rest after 20+ years of service. Same way with computers, radios, etc., I never get a dud.

anyone-home-knock-knock.gif

I'm looking at a new tv. I have Roku here in my new home and it's a small, old tv with 2 remotes and lousy sound quality. My question is, as I've been browsing, I am seeing smart tvs that are "Google" tvs or "Android" tvs. My son said it doesn't matter, but I wonder. Anyone have experience with a smart tv other than Roku? Does it really not complicate matters?
All smart TVs use an operating system. Samsung uses a proprietary OS called Tizen. Sony and many others use Android, which is made by Google. Apple uses Apple TV. All of them do pretty much the same thing - run apps that access the various streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc. Roku is a common OS that is offered on add on devices and built into many TVs. There is also a Roku app that connects to the Roku streaming service, just to cause confusion.

I would recommend either a TV that uses Roku or Android OS. Both are widely available and support tons of apps. Neither is particularly easier than the other and both are easy to use.

Some people have what I call "negative electronic karma" where they seem to get more than than their share of lemons. Me? Every TV I've ever owned, from el cheapo to decent price (I never spring for the high dollar ones, don't think they're worth it) has worked for many years. My first LCD TV was handed down to my daughter and she finally put it to rest after 20+ years of service. Same way with computers, radios, etc., I never get a dud.

You wanna come buy my tv for me?

I always tell people who buy Black Friday TVs to buy the extended warranty. I found out that those TVs are so much cheaper because they are built more cheaply, with cheaper parts, etc.

My last Vizio was a 70” 4K and I ended up giving it away in August. Had it a few years and two of the four quadrants were going out.

Of all the TVs I’ve had, the Roku is the easiest to add apps to.

You know what's going to happen now, don't you? Now that you've put that out there?

You know what's going to happen now, don't you? Now that you've put that out there?
I used the "knock on wood" gif!!

I'm looking at a new tv. I have Roku here in my new home and it's a small, old tv with 2 remotes and lousy sound quality. My question is, as I've been browsing, I am seeing smart tvs that are "Google" tvs or "Android" tvs. My son said it doesn't matter, but I wonder. Anyone have experience with a smart tv other than Roku? Does it really not complicate matters?
If you are an apple household, (iPhones, Macs), just get any TV you want, but get an Apple TV to go with it.

They are all about the same. The larger TVs (60'' and above) tend to have more bells and whistles but are about the same.

If you're looking, stick to the middle ground (price-wise) and you'll do fine.

We just purchased an LG QNED with a 55 inch screen. This is the biggest screen we can realistically fit in our living room.
It was pretty easy to set up. Plugged the Onkyo sound system in to the ARC supported HDMI, plugged the Roku device into another HDMI, and plugged the open air broadcast antennae into the co-axial input.

Wife turned it on while I hauled boxes and stuff out into the garage.

When it booted up it shook hands with everything and informed us what device was plugged into what input. Wife had already started the initial setup and it went well except for the situation described below.
The Onkyo was not working with the TV at first but found a setting that was misset and when set correctly the Onkyo worked as it should. I have a 6.1 system

I really enjoy how the remote works. You touch the setting button and a cursor appears on the screen with various menu buttons on the left side of the screen. You wave the remote around to control the cursor, hit the center button to open menus.
On the screen options you can scroll through the different modes such as Theater, Film Maker, Standard and about 4 others. As you scroll through the options the show you are watching will switch to that format so it is easy to compare the different modes and select what works best. The sports mode is great for football. When you pause over a selection a pop up dialog box appears and it gives you a description of the mode you are looking at pros and cons.

I did watch one move "The Hurt Locker" that had an odd "looking through black gauze" thing going on but that is the only time I have seen it and I think it was something in the show where they were trying to make it more closed up feeling...it only did this in indoor scenes where the lighting in the scene was low.

It easily pairs up with our bluetooth headphones. It also has a feature to where if you are using a mode that inadvertently get the audio out of sync with the video you can sync them back up easily. Our old TV had this problem and we could never resolve.

It came loaded with more apps than I can shake a stick at, including one by LG. On the remote there are hot buttons for NetFlix, Hulu, Dis +, and a couple of others.
Have been very impressed with the quality of the image, the football games I watched were crisp, the audio was nice with the crowd noises coming out of the corners of the room and the play by play guys front and center.

The only conflict I have right now is getting Spotify to play over it after opening the app with my phone. All sorts of options given, perhaps too many. In the process I may have wiped out Roku, my wife's favorite channel. It's a darn good thing I put an electric pet pad in the dog house. Hopefully I can get Roku back online or convincingly play innocent of all charges.

This TV seems to have a lot of options and it set up quickly and painlessly. Will explore other options it offers after I move back in from the dog house...

LOL I've had Roku since Aug and just turned it on for the first time a week ago. My brain still works.

I just turned mine on Friday. I was dreading it as I'm not always good with these things. But it was as simple as could be. And now I'm on a spending spree at Vudu so I don't have to search for movies, add the app for whatever channel it's on, set up another account, etc.

I just turned mine on Friday. I was dreading it as I'm not always good with these things. But it was as simple as could be. And now I'm on a spending spree at Vudu so I don't have to search for movies, add the app for whatever channel it's on, set up another account, etc.
Roku is a very good user friendly interface... It's really the best...

Yeah.. Their device or a Roku TV are the best for streaming... Can't beat them...

I really like Vudu, too. I find it easier to navigate things on the computer rather than the tv screen, and you can buy a movie and it goes right to your account to pull up on any tv. And to think I put off doing this because I thought it was going to be kind of difficult, lol.

I really like Vudu, too. I find it easier to navigate things on the computer rather than the tv screen, and you can buy a movie and it goes right to your account to pull up on any tv. And to think I put off doing this because I thought it was going to be kind of difficult, lol.
Download Pluto TV... And Roku has a free service to.. Also Freevee.. All free..

Download Pluto TV... And Roku has a free service to.. Also Freevee.. All free..

I think we're going to stay with directv for streaming too, at least for now. It'll make the transition easier until we find out that we don't really need this channel or that channel.

Also Paramount plus has a deal.. $60 a year... $5 a month.. Good deal.. But 1st check out what they offer... See if you are interested in anything they offer..

Back
Top Bottom