• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Anyone from/know anything about DC?

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I'm looking to sublet a place in DC/surrounding areas for part of the summer, 8-10 weeks. I want it to be CHEAP, semi-nice, and accessible to the Capitol area. The schedule is probably going to be a bit off, i.e not run directly by month, but more likely early june-mid august. Most of the places I've seen so far are monthly, which will cost $$$, or are student places by week, which are also $$$. I'm not really looking for the "student in big city omg" deals that the colleges in the area put on, those are a scam. I'm looking through craigslist now, but I don't really know the names of the neighborhoods that people are listing things under. Any help with this would be eminently appreciated.:2wave:

RightatNYU said:
I'm looking to sublet a place in DC/surrounding areas for part of the summer, 8-10 weeks. I want it to be CHEAP, semi-nice, and accessible to the Capitol area. The schedule is probably going to be a bit off, i.e not run directly by month, but more likely early june-mid august. Most of the places I've seen so far are monthly, which will cost $$$, or are student places by week, which are also $$$. I'm not really looking for the "student in big city omg" deals that the colleges in the area put on, those are a scam. I'm looking through craigslist now, but I don't really know the names of the neighborhoods that people are listing things under. Any help with this would be eminently appreciated.:2wave:

I'll tell you something I did 12 years ago - don't know if it'll still work. I found out thru one of the rough guides the little-known fact that some colleges rent out dorm space in the summer to students. I was visiting DC for a week, and I went to the University of Maryland (College Park) and rented dorm space that was extremely cheap. I was stunned to find that I had a whole wing of a dorm floor all to myself. There was bus access to the federal mall area in DC.

Hi NYU.

Check out this website. You can search for places to rent AND put out an ad telling people you are looking for a place to live for 8 to 10 weeks. I think it's free if it's under a certain amount of letters. People in the city (and surrounding areas) read this newspaper. It comes out on Thursday's. It can't hurt to put out an ad now.

http://classifieds.washingtoncitypaper.com/washington/

If you are looking to travel to the Capitol Hill area, there are places on Capitol Hill that would be within walking distance. You could also look at Dupont Circle, Woodley Park, Adams Morgan, and Bethesda, Marlyand. Ideally, I would stick to DC, if you can. Arlington, Virginia, is right outside the city, and is on the Orange Line, which goes right to Capitol Hill.

I've been lving here in Reston VA for about a year now. I don't know much about everywhere, but I've gotten some impressions of some places.

You should let the Metro guide your search. It runs for a ways around The City. As long as you're near a station, you might as well be in The City as far as access goes.

If you send me some names of places you're considering I'd be happy to share my impressions of the places.

alphamale said:
I'll tell you something I did 12 years ago - don't know if it'll still work. I found out thru one of the rough guides the little-known fact that some colleges rent out dorm space in the summer to students. I was visiting DC for a week, and I went to the University of Maryland (College Park) and rented dorm space that was extremely cheap. I was stunned to find that I had a whole wing of a dorm floor all to myself. There was bus access to the federal mall area in DC.

That sounds awesome, I've been looking into colleges. They all seem pretty expensive so far, but Catholic University is actually only $29 per night, so I might do that...

aps said:
Hi NYU.

Check out this website. You can search for places to rent AND put out an ad telling people you are looking for a place to live for 8 to 10 weeks. I think it's free if it's under a certain amount of letters. People in the city (and surrounding areas) read this newspaper. It comes out on Thursday's. It can't hurt to put out an ad now.

http://classifieds.washingtoncitypaper.com/washington/

If you are looking to travel to the Capitol Hill area, there are places on Capitol Hill that would be within walking distance. You could also look at Dupont Circle, Woodley Park, Adams Morgan, and Bethesda, Marlyand. Ideally, I would stick to DC, if you can. Arlington, Virginia, is right outside the city, and is on the Orange Line, which goes right to Capitol Hill.

Thanks so much aps, I really appreciate it!:2wave:

Put an ad in today, hope I hear something. I'm hoping to stick to DC too, but I wouldn't mind a being a few stops away on the Red or Orange Line.

Simon W. Moon said:
I've been lving here in Reston VA for about a year now. I don't know much about everywhere, but I've gotten some impressions of some places.

You should let the Metro guide your search. It runs for a ways around The City. As long as you're near a station, you might as well be in The City as far as access goes.

If you send me some names of places you're considering I'd be happy to share my impressions of the places.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer once I narrow it down.

And I love the sig, btw.:lol:

RightatNYU said:
Thanks so much aps, I really appreciate it!:2wave:

Put an ad in today, hope I hear something. I'm hoping to stick to DC too, but I wouldn't mind a being a few stops away on the Red or Orange Line.

Let me (or us) know if you find a place to live! This is a great place to spend 8 weeks. What exactly will you be doing? If you would rather tell me via PM, that's cool.

Here is the map for the Metro, so you can see where areas are.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Capitol South takes you to right outside the Cannon House Office Building, which is right next to the Capitol. The Senate House Office buildings can be accessed through an underground tunnel system, but would be no more than a 10-minute walk. You can also get to the Senate via the Union Station Metro Station on the Red Line.

Capitol Hill is a great area. The architecture is stunning, and you have restaurants on both sides of Congress (House on South side, Senate on North side). Union Station is the coolest place. That's close to the Senate office buildings. There are restaurants, stores, you name it. And it is gorgeous inside.

Arlington, Virgnia, is also great. There are places to live by the following Metro stops, and each place has restaurants, stores, etc--Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston. Any of those places would be great and all are on the Orange Line, except for Rosslyn which is on both the Orange and Blue Lines. Both of those lines go directly to Capitol Hill.

Georgetown, while very cool, isn't close to a Metro station, but it's not too far from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station. I love Georgetown, although the sidewalks are a little too narrow, but it has everything you could ever want for shopping and eating.

Alexandria is also cool, although I am not as familiar with that area as I am the others. Old Towne is very similar to Georgetown with places to shop and eat, and the atmosphere is beautiful and just totally cool. I think the Metro stations in that area are Braddock Road and King Street.

Pentagon City has recently been improved and has places to live and places to eat. The Pentagon City Mall is there, and that mall is 3 stories high with a ton of stores. It's a great location as well. Chrystal City is just okay. I don't think it has the pizzaz that the other locations have.

Bethesda, Maryland is also a great location--restaurants and stores galore.

I was in a touring show that sat down in DC for 18 months. I was never so happy to leave a town in my life. Dirty, crime ridden and over crowded.

aps said:
Let me (or us) know if you find a place to live! This is a great place to spend 8 weeks. What exactly will you be doing? If you would rather tell me via PM, that's cool.

Here is the map for the Metro, so you can see where areas are.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

Capitol South takes you to right outside the Cannon House Office Building, which is right next to the Capitol. The Senate House Office buildings can be accessed through an underground tunnel system, but would be no more than a 10-minute walk. You can also get to the Senate via the Union Station Metro Station on the Red Line.

Capitol Hill is a great area. The architecture is stunning, and you have restaurants on both sides of Congress (House on South side, Senate on North side). Union Station is the coolest place. That's close to the Senate office buildings. There are restaurants, stores, you name it. And it is gorgeous inside.

Arlington, Virgnia, is also great. There are places to live by the following Metro stops, and each place has restaurants, stores, etc--Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, and Ballston. Any of those places would be great and all are on the Orange Line, except for Rosslyn which is on both the Orange and Blue Lines. Both of those lines go directly to Capitol Hill.

Georgetown, while very cool, isn't close to a Metro station, but it's not too far from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station. I love Georgetown, although the sidewalks are a little too narrow, but it has everything you could ever want for shopping and eating.

Alexandria is also cool, although I am not as familiar with that area as I am the others. Old Towne is very similar to Georgetown with places to shop and eat, and the atmosphere is beautiful and just totally cool. I think the Metro stations in that area are Braddock Road and King Street.

Pentagon City has recently been improved and has places to live and places to eat. The Pentagon City Mall is there, and that mall is 3 stories high with a ton of stores. It's a great location as well. Chrystal City is just okay. I don't think it has the pizzaz that the other locations have.

Bethesda, Maryland is also a great location--restaurants and stores galore.

This is fantastic and very helpful aps, I really, really appreciate it!:smile:

I already had a couple people respond, and I'm looking to see what fits best. I'll keep you updated when I know more.

And I don't specifically know what I'm going to be doing or where I'm going to be doing it yet, I'll know more shortly though.

I was stationed at Ft. Detrick, Frederick, MD, which is halfway between Baltimore and D.C.

What depressed me about D.C. was all the homeless and poor camped out in front of the White House...what an example for our nations' capitol?

The main problem with D.C. is...it's easy to drive into, but almost impossible to drive out of...worst road signs in the nation, plus the nations' worst drivers!

If you get an opportunity, go to Baltimore's Inner Harbor and eat at Michaels...best seafood I've had in my life!

And check out the 933 club in D.C. for live music.

Back
Top Bottom