• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone else watching this? [W:500]

"Dewhurst declares abortion bill dead, blames 'unruly mob'"

By Chuck Lindell and Mike Ward

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst returned to the Senate floor at 3:01 a.m., banged the gavel and announced that, “regrettably, the constitutional time expired” on the special session.

...Dewhurst said SB5 passed 19-10, but with all the ruckus and noise, he couldn’t hear the proceedings, and now “I can’t sign the bill” so it can go to Gov. Rick Perry.

Dewhurst declares abortion bill dead, blames 'unruly mob' | www.statesman.com

A desperate woman, is just that, desperate.

And with programs like I linked to you, the abortion rate could be tremendously reduced.

I'm all about tremendously reducing the number of abortions.

So we just call another special session without worrying about drafting a bill that's already made and already agreed upon by both state house and state senate and they vote it in and go home.

Simple.

Last edited:
By week 20, your baby-to-be is gearing up for the next phase in his development—filling out. His organs are getting into their proper places. His kidneys are now in position with their familiar bean shape. His testes (or ovaries for girls) have reached their position. His brain continues to form and grow. His teeth are beginning to appear, and he can swallow. If you haven't been able to feel him move, chances are you'll be feeling him move more and more over the coming weeks.

What's wrong with making it illegal to kill this little one? ^^

No it's not, we want abortion to be rare by choice, not by law.

And yes they would, they would not just go through with an unwanted pregnancy. They would find other ways to end it, dangerous ways, which would harm women.
Murder is rare by law not by choice and late term abortion is murder.

I seriously hope this goes through. We need to progress as a nation and I'm glad that Texas is trying to do so.

Oh we're already progressing just not the way you like it though.

I find no apparent reason to stop killing organisms that don't have and or have mental capabilities that are like that of a ordinary animal

By week 20, your baby-to-be is gearing up for the next phase in his development—filling out. His organs are getting into their proper places. His kidneys are now in position with their familiar bean shape. His testes (or ovaries for girls) have reached their position. His brain continues to form and grow. His teeth are beginning to appear, and he can swallow. If you haven't been able to feel him move, chances are you'll be feeling him move more and more over the coming weeks.

I really don't know what you're getting at here. :lol:

Oh we're already progressing just not the way you like it though.

I find no apparent reason to stop killing organisms that don't have and or have mental capabilities that are like that of a ordinary animal

Apparently "progress" to you means promoting the morality of a comic book villain. But thank you for providing an example of what sort of barbarity we need to progress from.

"Dewhurst declares abortion bill dead, blames 'unruly mob'"

By Chuck Lindell and Mike Ward

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst returned to the Senate floor at 3:01 a.m., banged the gavel and announced that, “regrettably, the constitutional time expired” on the special session.

...Dewhurst said SB5 passed 19-10, but with all the ruckus and noise, he couldn’t hear the proceedings, and now “I can’t sign the bill” so it can go to Gov. Rick Perry.

Dewhurst declares abortion bill dead, blames 'unruly mob' | www.statesman.com

Most of the Texas Legislators...and especially Rick Perry need to shackled and exiled from Texas forever. Unruly mob???? Total nonsense. People are getting tired of their fanatical extremism.

Most of the Texas Legislators...and especially Rick Perry need to shackled and exiled from Texas forever. Unruly mob???? Total nonsense. People are getting tired of their fanatical extremism.

The issue here is running the clock out and preventing senators from voting before midnight. Do you agree with this procedural strategy?

The issue here is running the clock out and preventing senators from voting before midnight. Do you agree with this procedural strategy?

I'm for any procedure that stops Perry and his merry extremists. Those folks are quacknuts, morons, and shouldn't be voting on any laws of any type that impacts the citizens of the state of Texas...period. People are getting really tired of Perry's radicalism.

And I think I'm qualified to express the above since I am a native Texan.

I'm for any procedure that stops Perry and his merry extremists. Those folks are quacknuts, morons, and shouldn't be voting on any laws of any type that impacts the citizens of the state of Texas...period. People are getting really tired of Perry's radicalism.

Your being a native anything doesn't entitle you or anybody else to prevent a vote. The ends don't justify the means here, and last time I checked, Governor Perry and everybody else is allowed to hold opinions with which you don't agree.

I wonder if Perry will call for a special session. If he does, will it be okay by you if those who are loudly pro-life disrupt the proceedings and prevent a vote?

Your being a native anything doesn't entitle you or anybody else to prevent a vote. The ends don't justify the means here, and last time I checked, Governor Perry and everybody else is allowed to hold opinions with which you don't agree.

I wonder if Perry will call for a special session. If he does, will it be okay by you if those who are loudly pro-life disrupt the proceedings and prevent a vote?

Do I need to repeat the previous? The problems in Texas are a long as they are wide. Perry has 12 year record of radicalism...along with many of the Legislators. Enough is enough...regardless of what's employed to shut the Yahoos down.

Josie :
It seems you are thinking this bill was restricting abortions at or after the 20 week mark.
The bill was really about closing almost all of Texas abortion clinics by making them meet the same standards of surgical clinins.

4. TEXAS: Over 90 percent of Texas women already live in a county without an abortion clinic. But Republican lawmakers in the state want that number to rise even further. The legislature is advancing a TRAP measure that could force most of the state’s 38 abortion clinics to shut down. SB 537 would require all clinics that perform abortions to adhere to the same standards as surgical clinics —
even though many of them simply administer the abortion pill to women, which is not actually a surgical procedure.

Seven States Working Hard To Shut Down Abortion Clinics | ThinkProgress

Do I need to repeat the previous? The problems in Texas are a long as they are wide. Perry has 12 year record of radicalism...along with many of the Legislators. Enough is enough...regardless of what's employed to shut the Yahoos down.

Once again, the issue is not Texas problems, Perry's so-called "radicalism," or your elected reps' so-called "radicalism." This thread is about Texas senators being prevented from voting because of "unruly" behavior.

I mean, begin a thread on what a whack-job you think Perry is. But that's not what THIS thread is about.

Josie :
It seems you are thinking this bill was restricting abortions at or after the 20 week mark.
The bill was really about closing almost all of Texas abortion clinics by making them meet the same standards of surgical clinins.

Seven States Working Hard To Shut Down Abortion Clinics | ThinkProgress

You're right Minnie...and it's a shameful tactic. I do hope that this nonsense does make its way to the S.C. What these states are doing is obvious...trying to circumvent Roe v. Wade by going after provider facilities...not women or specific doctors who perform abortions.

Texas and 6 other states are trying to backdoor legislate anti-abortion laws that are consistent with Roe v. Wade. They are making the medical provider rules so stringent that they can't be followed by 90% of the abortion facilities.

Meanwhile...abortions will continue...one way or another. That's a fact.

No it's not, we want abortion to be rare by choice, not by law.

And yes they would, they would not just go through with an unwanted pregnancy. They would find other ways to end it, dangerous ways, which would harm women.

Abortion needs to be banned. And women need to learn to take responsibility for their sexual actions.

Once again, the issue is not Texas problems, Perry's so-called "radicalism," or your elected reps' so-called "radicalism." This thread is about Texas senators being prevented from voting because of "unruly" behavior.

I mean, begin a thread on what a whack-job you think Perry is. But that's not what THIS thread is about.

So be it....the legislative procedure isn't illegal. You know...just like abortion.

The majority of this state wants the bill, the bill was crafted, it was supported by both parts of our legislature, it was voted on and we now know for a fact that it meets with the approval of both parts of our legislature because the vote took place.

Now we the people will simply demand a second special session, and the lawmakers are willing and eager to perform the will of the people. It is a shame that some Austinites can be such disruptive asshats at times, but they will not block the demands of the remainder of the state.

The majority of this state wants the bill, the bill was crafted, it was supported by both parts of our legislature, it was voted on and we now know for a fact that it meets with the approval of both parts of our legislature because the vote took place.

Now we the people will simply demand a second special session and the lawmakers are willing and eager to perform the will of the people.

THE MAJORITY OF THE STATE WANTS THE BILL? Oh really...and you know this how, Jay?

THE MAJORITY OF THE STATE WANTS THE BILL?

The bill has overwhelming support from the representatives of the people, does it not? We voted for those people for a reason and they are doing our work. I'm proud of my state rep and his resolve in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom