• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone else excited about the Olympics?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
My very favorite is beach volleyball, but I love watching gymnastics, diving and swimming too.

I hear the Olympics went viral.

*badda bing*

I tend to prefer the winter olympics to the summer games but will certainly watch some of the events. At this point I'm most interested in seeing Giselle get mugged during the opening ceremony.

My very favorite is beach volleyball, but I love watching gymnastics, diving and swimming too.

A highly welcome "distraction" from all the politics and insanity associated with it.

In a voyeuristic car wreck type of way.

I've never particularly cared for the olympics but I've gone out of my way this time around to boycott it completely. It should not have been held in a third world country that can't provide basic standards of sanitation or human dignity. Just like the world cup, billions spent to have slave labor erect massive stadiums that will sit empty and decay after it's over. This is not beneficial to the people of Brazil or the world's athletes, only corporate cronies.

Last edited:
No. I'm not going to support something that I find to an enormous waste of money.

I have not watched any summer games in a dozen years, but when I did I liked Rhythmic Gymnastics the best. I also watched female gymnastics and swimming. I dont plan to watch any this time. I hate the way the Americans broadcast the games, a lot of yak and in particular "emotional driven narratives" about the Americans, showing maybe 1/3 the action the rest of the world gets. I know because one year I got to watch it on German TV.

I like the Olympics, but I detest the NBC coverage of them. I want to watch sports, not endless 15 minute segments on how little gymnast Bobbi Sue is competing because her brother died in a thresher accident and that she collects beanie babies...its crap.

Now, here is what I am excited about....for the first time since 1920, we will have Rugby (sevens) in the games! And the USA is the defending champions.

Good luck finding matches on regular TV, because we will have to watch endless hours of rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming and other garbage.

I've never particularly cared for the olympics but I've gone out of my way this time around to boycott it completely. It should not have been held in a third world country that can't provide basic standards of sanitation or human dignity. Just like the world cup, billions spent to have slave labor erect massive stadiums that will sit empty and decay after it's over.

Those are the only types of countries left willing to play ball with the IOC.

I like the Olympics, but I detest the NBC coverage of them. I want to watch sports, not endless 15 minute segments on how little gymnast Bobbi Sue is competing because her brother died in a thresher accident and that she collects beanie babies...its crap.

Now, here is what I am excited about....for the first time since 1920, we will have Rugby (sevens) in the games! And the USA is the defending champions.

Good luck finding matches on regular TV, because we will have to watch endless hours of rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming and other garbage.

And how Bobbi Sue got up at 4 each morning so that she could get her training time in.......as if every other person she is competing against did not do the exact same thing.

Which was really 545 after the exaggeration is taken out.

I agree. The coverage the last few years has sucked. It's been nearly impossible to know when various events were going to be shown or even if they were going to be shown.

As I write this there are 23 days, 8 hours, 6 minutes and 10 seconds until the 2016 NCAA Football season begins. That excites me. The Olympics? Not so much. I much prefer the Winter Olympics.

there are 4-5 events that i kinda like to watch....most of them track and field events

boxing used to be one of them....but it has been rigged for decades now

just not the same excitement as when i was younger, and not so cynical about the world

Hot Take: Those who support bans on plastic bags at the Safeway in the attempt to save the planet should not support the massive waste of the Olympics with their eyeballs.

Nope. Don't care. Don't watch. Never have, never will.

I prefer the Winter Olympics, but I'll probably tune in on occasion.

I hear the Olympics went viral.

*badda bing*

I noticed the Olympics were starting sometime around now. But I do not think I want to watch. Too much doping to know that the winner is real and luckily I am not interested in sports. So boycotting the games because of corruption in the IOC isn't too much of a worry to me.

I'm excited in so far as I expect it to be a trainwreck with Athletes becoming critically ill and maybe even dying from contact with raw sewage.

I've never particularly cared for the olympics but I've gone out of my way this time around to boycott it completely. It should not have been held in a third world country that can't provide basic standards of sanitation or human dignity. Just like the world cup, billions spent to have slave labor erect massive stadiums that will sit empty and decay after it's over. This is not beneficial to the people of Brazil or the world's athletes, only corporate cronies.

Who cares? It's Brazil's money wasted on Brazillian projects. You don't see that stuff happening in the U.S. btw. When we hold national events we make long term use of the facilities.

I will make a prediction and say that the Russian weight lifting team will not win a medal this year.

Apathy is at fever pitch here!

TBH, I'll skip the swimming/diving, watch track and field and cycling, maybe the archery and soccer. It really hadn't sunk in how close it was till I popped into Aldi this evening, and was confronted with stacks of Olympic merchandise!

Apathy is at fever pitch here!

TBH, I'll skip the swimming/diving, watch track and field and cycling, maybe the archery and soccer. It really hadn't sunk in how close it was till I popped into Aldi this evening, and was confronted with stacks of Olympic merchandise!

Eventually the wholesale corruption of sports the globe over gets to be too visible to ignore.

THis is where we are now, it is just one more place where the Elite have failed.

We have bigger fish to fry now than who gets the most medals.

Who is the best at pushing and bending the rules to win.

Without a fair fight what is the point of the games?

THe answer is that there is none.

Who cares? It's Brazil's money wasted on Brazillian projects. You don't see that stuff happening in the U.S. btw. When we hold national events we make long term use of the facilities.

You may not give a **** about the well-being of your fellow human beings, but I do. Brazil is incredibly poor and their politicians are giving billions to corporations instead of helping their own people. So essentially the same problem we have in the US but they're much worse off.

You may not give a **** about the well-being of your fellow human beings, but I do. Brazil is incredibly poor and their politicians are giving billions to corporations instead of helping their own people. So essentially the same problem we have in the US but they're much worse off.

They believed in what we were selling, that's the problem. America had a huge hand in the disaster of Brazil, something that will not soon be forgotten by South Americans at least. Americans never knew about it, we be some stupid people, most of us...we long ago stopped paying proper attention to all the crap our government does behind our backs, often against our interests. Look at Iraq. Look at Syria. Look at Ukraine. Look at Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom