• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone Care about Baseball

Why? He only needs average a little less than 3 WAR a year for that deal to be worth it. With the exception of last year he's gone above and beyond that every year for the last eight seasons, although he was still on pace for that last year.

The below .250 batting avg irks me. I know, I know, it's 1/4. But to me you should be .250 and above if you are walking 75 times a year.

Hmm...that definitely frees up Wells and either Gardener or Soriano. If they can lock down Infante the only other urgent piece of the puzzle will be 3rd. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good options out there to fix that problem so maybe it's a better idea to go after Jimenez to eat some innings in the starting rotation.

Trade Gardener to the O's for mid level prospects. :lol:

Yankees will probably sign Jimenez or Garza. But Infante is not even worth it for the Yankees. A 2 WAR player to replace a 5 WAR, that'll hurt.

Trade Gardener to the O's for mid level prospects. :lol:

Yankees will probably sign Jimenez or Garza. But Infante is not even worth it for the Yankees. A 2 WAR player to replace a 5 WAR, that'll hurt.

There isn't another 5 WAR player out there so that wasn't going to happen anyway. I think what Cashman did was fairly smart. Beltran puts up decent offensive numbers and adds the switch dynamic. Infante would fill in the defensive gap and adds more speed than Cano. Ellsbury doesn't have the power numbers that Granderson had but he strikes out about 100 times less per year and has much better speed.

There's no question but that the Yankees are less of a power threat without Cano but if they can start getting runs across with RISP ( a HUGE failing last year) they may well be better off.

There isn't another 5 WAR player out there so that wasn't going to happen anyway. I think what Cashman did was fairly smart. Beltran puts up decent offensive numbers and adds the switch dynamic. Infante would fill in the defensive gap and adds more speed than Cano. Ellsbury doesn't have the power numbers that Granderson had but he strikes out about 100 times less per year and has much better speed.

There's no question but that the Yankees are less of a power threat without Cano but if they can start getting runs across with RISP ( a HUGE failing last year) they may well be better off.

Yankees are in the American League so I'm not sure what a thread about baseball has to do with them. Baseball is a game with nine players per team. American League plays some game with ten. Not sure what to call it.:roll:

Of course, they aren't going to be able to get anyone out, but hey, cross that bridge when you get to it.

Of course, they aren't going to be able to get anyone out, but hey, cross that bridge when you get to it.

The outs will happen. Defensively the Yankees are OK...not great but at least OK.

Their two big problems last year were not getting runners across when it counted and horribly inconsistent pitching. I mean, hell they had just one more sacrifice than they did grounding into DP's. Talk about killing a rally!!! And pitching.....ugh. Just sitting there wondering if Hughes was going to make it out of the 1st inning or how bad Nova was to get hammered in the next inning after bring lights out for 4.....brutal.

Simply getting Hughes out of the rotation makes the team better. We'll see what we've got with Pineda but I'd sure feel better with another starter and a lefty reliever.

The outs will happen. Defensively the Yankees are OK...not great but at least OK.

Their two big problems last year were not getting runners across when it counted and horribly inconsistent pitching. I mean, hell they had just one more sacrifice than they did grounding into DP's. Talk about killing a rally!!! And pitching.....ugh. Just sitting there wondering if Hughes was going to make it out of the 1st inning or how bad Nova was to get hammered in the next inning after bring lights out for 4.....brutal.

Simply getting Hughes out of the rotation makes the team better. We'll see what we've got with Pineda but I'd sure feel better with another starter and a lefty reliever.

The bullpen takes a significant hit, obvs, by losing Rivera, but also with Robertson sliding into the closer's role. They haven't done squat to replace him, and their middle relief is atrocious right now.

Sabathia looked to be running out of gas toward the end of last season, Kuroda's no kid, Pineda's an unknown quantity at this point. They have serious pitching issues.

The bullpen takes a significant hit, obvs, by losing Rivera, but also with Robertson sliding into the closer's role. They haven't done squat to replace him, and their middle relief is atrocious right now.

Sabathia looked to be running out of gas toward the end of last season, Kuroda's no kid, Pineda's an unknown quantity at this point. They have serious pitching issues.

The Yankees are kinda sorta shopping Gardener, which could address some of that. Most likely they will be also ran's next year, but the market is what it is, and they simply have too many holes to fill and not enough money to fill them. No team can go forever without rebuilding, and the Yankees need to do it. That they are not is the biggest problem they have.

The Yankees are kinda sorta shopping Gardener, which could address some of that. Most likely they will be also ran's next year, but the market is what it is, and they simply have too many holes to fill and not enough money to fill them. No team can go forever without rebuilding, and the Yankees need to do it. That they are not is the biggest problem they have.

If they're trying to "rebuild," this isn't how you do it, by signing Type A free agents every year and pissing away your first-round draft pick. You rebuild from within, not by signing 30+ year-old outfielders to long-term contracts. So yes, I agree with you.

I hate that nauseating franchise.

No doubt...but what's available? Jimenez or Santana are simply inning eaters. Neither is really even a solid #3 caliber. We have no idea what Japan is going to do with Tanaka at this point and if they choose to go with something asinine like a $100M posting fee it's just a waste. Most of the relievers on the FA market are either old, damaged or just plain suck. That means a trade and we do have some availability there so it might get interesting.

No doubt...but what's available? Jimenez or Santana are simply inning eaters. Neither is really even a solid #3 caliber. We have no idea what Japan is going to do with Tanaka at this point and if they choose to go with something asinine like a $100M posting fee it's just a waste. Most of the relievers on the FA market are either old, damaged or just plain suck. That means a trade and we do have some availability there so it might get interesting.

Well, the obvious candidate to move is Gardner. The PTBNL in the Chris Stewart deal likely won't be anything major-league caliber. They might be able to resign Boone Logan as a LOOGY.

This is hilarious: AL Notes: Rays, Garza, Ibanez, Astros: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

On this date in 1980, the Yankees made Dave Winfield the highest-paid athlete in all of sports with a ten-year, $16MM contract. In the intervening four decades, a ten-year MLB contract is now worth something in the neighborhood of $240MM (Robinson Cano and Albert Pujols) to $275MM (Alex Rodriguez). Meanwhile, $16MM will only buy you one year of Hiroki Kuroda or two years of Marlon Byrd this offseason, per MLBTR's Transaction Tracker. As you rush out and buy your child a bat, a glove, and every baseball instructional video ever made, here's today's American League news and notes:

I blame baseball fans willing to continuously pay exorbitant prices to go to ballgames and buy merchandise. It's a shame so many in society care so much more about sports stars than they do...well, most things which actually matter.

What matters more than baseball?:cool:

What matters more than baseball?:cool:
An entertaining sport like golf or socc....no, I'm sorry, I cannot finish that statement with a straight face. :)

But my point is valid and applies to so many forms of entertainment, not just baseball.

Back
Top Bottom