• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody tried the T25 workout videos?

kerussll

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I've just started doing this program. I did insanity for about 6 months and saw great results, but now I'm bored doing the same videos over and over. This is made by the same company and has the same guy instructing. So far they seem like pretty good workouts. I'm sure breathing hard and sweating a lot at the end of the 25 minutes!

Anybody else tried it and care to share their opinion?

FOCUS T25 Workout - NEW Shaun T 25 Minute Workouts - YouTube

I do my own workouts but this video is like promoting snake oil.

I've just started doing this program. I did insanity for about 6 months and saw great results, but now I'm bored doing the same videos over and over. This is made by the same company and has the same guy instructing. So far they seem like pretty good workouts. I'm sure breathing hard and sweating a lot at the end of the 25 minutes!

This is a purely promotional video.

I do tabata workouts for increased resistance and strength and with it, fat loss too, and I do 7 trainings in 14 days. So 1training every 2 days. But if you want to do just for fat loss, don't do fat loss tabata more than 3 times a week because it will hurt you.
You can google tabata workouts or tabata trainings and find some exercises.

Ofc, the people doing them are pros. Be careful not to wear yourself out. Also, remember, they're all a bunch of ****ing snakes and dirty bastards so don't take their word as gold.
For instance, before you start tabata workout that is 4min high intensity, nobody will tell you that it's advisable to do 6-10min of pre-workout exercise which is basically a warm-up.

So for tabata.
Say you do the following 4 exercises.
-jump-squats
-burpee
-mountain climber
-stationary running (when you lift your knees very high).

Before you do the 4min high intensity one, make sure you spend 6-10 min doing slower, more casual versions of these exercises to warm up and maybe other too. Like stretching.

The general rule however is not to get invested in any special training right away, especially those that promise big.

So the best approach is to get 2-3 months (now that winter is coming) of doing your own workouts for 30-35mins at home. No gym ****, and use proper footwear.
Figure out 6-8 exercises you think you should to do for your own body, make some research on them, and then set up a training. Don't do it every day even if it's casual. Once every 2-3 days is best.

It's important when doing cardio to hit that 30min mark... better yet, the 35min mark.
That's when you also trigger the afterburn effect that will help with losing weight.

It's important to understand that you can get both strength and resistance by doing cardio, just do the body-building first (push-ups, any dumbbell workout you may have) then do the cardio (burpee -> tehnically not just cardio, mountain climbing, jump-squats, anything that makes your heart run faster is cardio).

I do my own workouts but this video is like promoting snake oil.

Really? Snake oil? How so? It's an infomercial, so it's a bit over the top I know. You can't expect everyone's going to lose 40lbs like the people in the video. But it's a good workout! It makes me sweat, it makes my muscles sore the next day. There is a nutrition plan that goes along with it, and if somebody followed this plan religiously I'm sure they could lose a lot of weight.

It's important when doing cardio to hit that 30min mark... better yet, the 35min mark.
That's when you also trigger the afterburn effect that will help with losing weight.

It's important to understand that you can get both strength and resistance by doing cardio, just do the body-building first (push-ups, any dumbbell workout you may have) then do the cardio (burpee -> tehnically not just cardio, mountain climbing, jump-squats, anything that makes your heart run faster is cardio).

What is the evidence for the 30 minute mark? This workout alternates strength moves with a few minutes of cardio. And a lot of the cardio moves build muscles as well. We do burpees, jump squats, things like that. Why should you do the strength exercises first?

What is the evidence for the 30 minute mark? This workout alternates strength moves with a few minutes of cardio. And a lot of the cardio moves build muscles as well. We do burpees, jump squats, things like that. Why should you do the strength exercises first?

Well, you're a woman so if you want, you don't have to do strength exercises.

When you workout properly for 30min, that means doing cardio workouts too, you will trigger the afterburn effect which is just a fancy way of saying you're going to burn more calories than you would otherwise because your body will require more energy through the day.
It's like when you're doing calories counting when you're eating. Women do this a lot. Say a cupcake has 80calories. Well you can calculate how many calories you burn if you do X amount of exercises and if you do 30-35min of proper training, with a focus on cardio, you will double that calorie burn. This means that if you do a workout that burns 300calories (this is an ok estimate) you'll actually burn 300 more through the day... after you finish the training... the afterburn effect.

You can trigger the afterburn effect even with the tabata workout for instance if you do it properly, but it's really, really intensive.

Insanity, tabata, t-25 such things are usually not a good idea if you're not ready to go the full package. going halfsies is going to do more harm than good. For instance, I messed up because I overdid tabata when I first started out and because I didn't know about the 6-10min warm-up. By messed up I mean I did 2weeks of workout... and then took 2-3weeks off because I overdid my workout so I started performing mroe and more poorly. Muscle fatique.

Why strength first? Proper cardio is exhausting and will decrease your ability to do proper muscle-building training. But doing strength training first and then cardio you will enhance your strength training because of the increase in bloodflow and adrenaline. But as I said, you're a woman.. so strength training for women is different than it is for men, and the goals are different too.

My suggestion, find a comfortable workout that you can do for 30-35min every 2 days. Preferably, it should work your whole body. Keep your pauses between sets short, 30s-1min, do every routine at least 3 times (so 3 sets of 10 burpees for instance) but you don't need to do them one after the other.
So for instance.
do 10 burpees / 40s break
then 20 jump squats /40s break
20 mountain climbing with each leg / 40s break
15 jumping back and forth / 40s break
And then take this whole routine and repeat it. 10 burpees / 20jump squats / 20 mc / 15 jumpings and then again. three times.
Then find another 4 exercises you can do and chain them all up nicely.

Really? Snake oil? How so? It's an infomercial, so it's a bit over the top I know. You can't expect everyone's going to lose 40lbs like the people in the video. But it's a good workout! It makes me sweat, it makes my muscles sore the next day. There is a nutrition plan that goes along with it, and if somebody followed this plan religiously I'm sure they could lose a lot of weight.

Don't be carried away by a promotion video. Those exercises are not for everyone. I keep it simple. I spend 15mins with dumbbells for biceps, triceps, shoulders and chest. Then I do a 90 minute jog at the beach. The beach is a 5mins walk from where I live.

Don't be carried away by a promotion video. Those exercises are not for everyone.

I agree.

I can't watch the video because of a Flash filter here at work but I've completed Insanity so I know how Shaun T like to do.

He definitely formulates great workouts but I've got old Infantryman knees and his idea of plyometrics (or I should say plyometrics at his intensity/repetition) just about blew my knees the **** up. I did it, but I have to wonder if, in the long run, I'm better and more physically fit for having done it.

That's not a knock on him or on his workouts.

Just a reiteration that his workouts absolutely are not for everyone.

If you're young, still have healthy cartilage/ligaments/tendons, aren't suffering from any type of serious coronary or pulmonary condition (either diagnosed or more importantly undiagnosed), and can afford to train in brand new, appropriate shoes and with some type of jump mat I would recommend his workouts to you any day and twice on Sunday.

They're an ass kicker and I hadn't done anything nearly as hard in 20 years since getting out of the Army (taking into consideration that I really PUSH myself when I work out and including competitive off-road biathlons).

But if you're old, have some health conditions, are brokedick, are brand new to fitness, or are carrying a lot of extra weight (again, going back to repetitive use injuries to joints) I'd take it slow with Shaun T.

I will say though that they make a similar disclaimer at the beginning of every video and Beach Body really does have a great customer service department and they stand behind their warranties and guarantees 110% (in my limited experience). If you want to give it a try but find that it isn't for you they'll take it back and refund your money like they say they will.

I'm much happier with P90X.

Will take you much longer to reach the same weight loss and c/v goals but it also incorporates resistance strength and other aspects of fitness training where Shaun T workouts don't.

Well everyone sure considers themselves an expert on fitness! Women don't need to do strength exercises? What a load of crap! Lifting weights is the single best thing you can do to keep your bones strong and prevent osteoporosis. Working out isn't only about looking good in your skinny jeans. Everybody should be doing strength and cardio. People love to squabble over the right ratios and which to do first. How long you should do each one, how many days off you should take in between, and blah blah blah. The experts can't even agree on this, so forgive me if I'm not going to take the advice of a stranger on the internet who doesn't bother to provide a link to back up any claims. I'm making an effort to be more active, and I was curious to see if anybody was doing the same program as me. That's it. Since it doesn't seem anybody is, and most people on here just want to be condescending and prove how much of an expert they are....I'm over it.

Well everyone sure considers themselves an expert on fitness! Women don't need to do strength exercises? What a load of crap! Lifting weights is the single best thing you can do to keep your bones strong and prevent osteoporosis. Working out isn't only about looking good in your skinny jeans. Everybody should be doing strength and cardio. People love to squabble over the right ratios and which to do first. How long you should do each one, how many days off you should take in between, and blah blah blah. The experts can't even agree on this, so forgive me if I'm not going to take the advice of a stranger on the internet who doesn't bother to provide a link to back up any claims. I'm making an effort to be more active, and I was curious to see if anybody was doing the same program as me. That's it. Since it doesn't seem anybody is, and most people on here just want to be condescending and prove how much of an expert they are....I'm over it.

Anyway it's good that you are taking steps to be more active. Best of luck!

Absolutely!

I used to work professionally as a personal trainer and nutritionist. My clients varied from middle-aged houswives trying to get their sexy college body back to a world record breaking powerlifter. Without an in-person interview and thorough physical examination I couldn't recommend any particular routine for anyone.

That said, I'll put in my two cents.

If you want the best routine for you, see a good personal trainer.

As far a workout routines go one size doesn't fit all. And none of those routines you see on infomercials in the wee hours of the morning are going to be the best one for you. But none of them look particular harmful for any resonably healthy person. They're a lot better than not working out at all.

If someone says things like "you need 30 minutes to get the afterburn" or "women don't need resistance training" they have no clue what they are talking about.

If somebody tells you that you're getting a 60 minute workout in 25 minutes, they're lying to you.

Diet and exercise go hand in hand. Without proper nutrition you'll never get the maximum benefits out of any workout.

Mu.gif

I used to work professionally as a personal trainer and nutritionist. My clients varied from middle-aged houswives trying to get their sexy college body back to a world record breaking powerlifter. Without an in-person interview and thorough physical examination I couldn't recommend any particular routine for anyone.

That said, I'll put in my two cents.

If you want the best routine for you, see a good personal trainer.

As far a workout routines go one size doesn't fit all. And none of those routines you see on infomercials in the wee hours of the morning are going to be the best one for you. But none of them look particular harmful for any resonably healthy person. They're a lot better than not working out at all.

If someone says things like "you need 30 minutes to get the afterburn" or "women don't need resistance training" they have no clue what they are talking about.

If somebody tells you that you're getting a 60 minute workout in 25 minutes, they're lying to you.

Diet and exercise go hand in hand. Without proper nutrition you'll never get the maximum benefits out of any workout.

View attachment 67155042

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to work with a personal trainer, but I don't want to have to pay for a gym membership or trainer sessions right now. Maybe in the future I will. For now, I'm doing these videos at home and running outside on nice days. I feel like I'm getting good workouts either way. My heart rate gets pretty high doing either...160s-170s, and I feel very worked afterwards. (Wobbly legs right after, and sore muscles the next day.) I think I'll notice some big improvements doing this for a few months. Do you have any diet recommendations? Right now I'm keeping it pretty simple; trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and lean protein like fish and chicken, and reducing my beloved sweet treats.

Back
Top Bottom