• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody still write checks?

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Thread title says it all

I have a confession to make, I am 23 and have a check book and write checks, I even keep the paper balance register (double entry method of course) and keep it updated. I am migrating towards only spending online purchases on my debit card and using cash or check for nearly all in person transactions. Anyone else do this?

Thread title says it all

I have a confession to make, I am 23 and have a check book and write checks, I even keep the paper balance register (double entry method of course) and keep it updated. I am migrating towards only spending online purchases on my debit card and using cash or check for nearly all in person transactions. Anyone else do this?

Yes because the mortgage company (not my original one...that changed hands a few times, out of my control) feels that if you want to make a payment online, then it should cost $11, or the same for a phone call.

Which is one of the reasons I will have my 30 year mortgage paid off in 9 years...

Every once in a blue moon.

I have never written a cheque nor do I ever intend to.

I pay everything through online banking

I haven't written an actual check in probably 10 years now

Always to pay bills.

Refuse to use any electronic check services, or authorize my bank to pay any directly either.

Last edited:
Yes because the mortgage company (not my original one...that changed hands a few times, out of my control) feels that if you want to make a payment online, then it should cost $11, or the same for a phone call.

Which is one of the reasons I will have my 30 year mortgage paid off in 9 years...

I also pay my mortgage with a check (15 more payments to go)

Thread title says it all

I am 27 don't do all that, but I do write checks for my rent. My landlords are not too keen on all the electronic ways you can send money and don't trust it either. So this makes it easier on everybody. No need to keep a balanced checkbook when all my statements are online. My mail is kept extremely low that way. I get maybe one letter every two weeks!

I am 27 don't do all that, but I do write checks for my rent. My landlords are not too keen on all the electronic ways you can send money and don't trust it either. So this makes it easier on everybody. No need to keep a balanced checkbook when all my statements are online. My mail is kept extremely low that way. I get maybe one letter every two weeks!

I used to write and mail checks for rent -- and only rent.

Then I moved this fall and my new landlord accepts payment via an app called Square Cash. Simple as launching the app, typing my rent and clicking 'send'. Almost one in the same as sending a text.
From there it goes through my debit card and it takes several days to clear.

Some of the institutions I do business with, like my bank, my insurance, etc. want me to forgo being mailed a paper statements and do it all electronically, so far I have refused. I keep files with all my banking insurance statements and letters and stuff they send me an paper. It may be a paranoia of sorts, but I'm always worried that up I have to dispute something with them, they will have convenient "technical difficulties" in providing the e statement.

Plus, contrary to the opinions of many in this country I actually enjoy going to the post office, I don't get residential delivery in the area I live in, and I live across the street from the post office so I get all my mail via PO Box.

For rent, since my credit union, and my landlords credit union are across the street from each other, I just go withdraw the amount of the rent in cash from my bank, walk over to theirs, and deposit it. And then this way I also get a nonmember deposit ticket when I deposit the rent into their account so I have paper evidence that I paid them

I also pay my mortgage with a check (15 more payments to go)

I got about 24 or so, depends how much extra I put in each month.

Then I moved this fall and my new landlord accepts payment via an app called Square Cash. Simple as launching the app, typing my rent and clicking 'send'. Almost one in the same as sending a text.

Yeah my previous landlord did that too!!

Virtually never. I think the last book of checks took us about 4 years to go through.

I know that's convenient, I just don't trust third party people with my account info.

I pay by withdrawing cash from my bank and walking to theirs and depositing. It's a clean transaction, and it's a documented transaction and I get a receipt. There's almost no way that the money could be lost unless it's physically mugged from me

Thread title says it all

Last time I wrote a check I lived in cali, but that was because my landlord refused to accept cash, he wanted check or money order only. My shop uses them all the time, me personally, there is no need, since most business have moved to e-verifying checks, which means they can instantly cash them, or check to see if they will bounce before you leave the building.

Just my rent. The property manager apparently has a way to set up online payment but I have procrastinated doing it.

I'm pretty much all plastic. I haven't used checks in years and rarely use cash.

I'm pretty much all plastic. I haven't used checks in years and rarely use cash.

I find I am more responsible with cash then plastic.

When I drove over the road, I'd make a cash budget for expenses and a separate cash budget for emergencies. My spending plummeted

When I drove over the road, I'd make a cash budget for expenses and a separate cash budget for emergencies. My spending plummeted

I know what you mean, I do the same thing just digitally.

How did you like driving OTR? Been thinking about doing it for years, never taken the plunge though.

Thread title says it all

I'm 78. I pay only by check. Don't keep a ledger.

The only exception is on line purchases. Then I pay by Paypal.

Thread title says it all

I do, I just bought a 3600 dollar shotgun from a gun shop owned by some friends of mine. By paying with a check they don't lose the credit card fee imposed on them which adds up. I always buy high ticket items with checks (my credit rating is pretty high) except for online purchases.

How did you like driving OTR? Been thinking about doing it for years, never taken the plunge though.

It was ok.

I mean if you have no experience you'll be looking at low pay, and until you get the hang of budgeting your time and HoS to maximize miles and loads you'll make even less. After about two years and the required experience you ca find really high paying gigs.

I only did it for a year, then I switched to a local hourly job

Back
Top Bottom