• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody here played around with geneology?

No, I haven't gotten that far...I'm just tired of waiting for my brother to do something, so maybe I'll start searching myself. Let me know what you learn about software. My computer guy won't let me upgrade beyond Windows 7 until they iron out their bugs, so I'm using Windows 7, if it matters.

I'm on W7 also, won't touch 8, have it at work and I really really don't like it.

FamilyTree Maker looks promising, I'll check it out further..... :thumbs:

In my experience, the Mormon Church will only get you so far. Ancestry dot com seems to have the rights to everything now, and of course they require payment for their service. I can see your grandfather's strength in you. I find it very interesting that some family traits are passed along unspoken - by example. I truly believe we don't stray far from them in spite of changing times and differing life styles. I am the only child in my immediate family with green eyes. I learned of a distant cousin in England who apparently looks incredibly like me - so I'm told. Poor fellow.

I don't know Pol. I do know that all that I have listed in my profile are things that have been done by others in my family for generations. There's certainly a predisposition, much like you and your family. A good friend of mine who's family is from Poland recently discovered one of his ancestors a few generations back was a distinguished Prussian General. When I look at him and think about it, it's easy to see.

I'll check out Ancestry.com. :thanks: If you recall, last year Jack Hays took geneology a step further, and learned which ancient ancestral group he belonged to. Fascinating! Perhaps he could explain what that involves, if you're interested. :thumbs:

I'll check out Ancestry.com. :thanks: If you recall, last year Jack Hays took geneology a step further, and learned which ancient ancestral group he belonged to. Fascinating! Perhaps he could explain what that involves, if you're interested. :thumbs:
I would be. Interesting stuff. I'm getting pretty ancient myself.

I was fascinated by Vanessa Williams' results. They have made me decide to get
my own, provided the advertised $99 price tag doesn't have too many add-ons.

Danish (my father's side), and Welsh, German and English (my mother's side) should
be there, according to family oral tradition. The Danish branch might include some
French and the German might include some Jewish.

I've traced my lineage so far to the mid to late 1500's without DNA testing (confiscating and storing) I'm alright with only going back 470-500 years.

I haven't researched my family geaneology but I need to set aside time. The subject is fascinating. I've watched Who do you think you are and the stories are captivating.

Back
Top Bottom