• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody going to Burning Man?

What if...?

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This will be our second time, and since the first was ruined by a thievin' bastard, we're hoping this year will be better.

'Specially since we made 'em allow e-bikes!

(That'll teach 'em to screw up my burn with their silly rules!)

Anybody else going this year?

This will be our second time, and since the first was ruined by a thievin' bastard, we're hoping this year will be better.

I wish I could go, does that count?

You'll have to give me the scoop. Have fun when you go...

Peace

We might. We've never been. We have friends who go and we have seen pictures and heard stories.

We might. We've never been. We have friends who go and we have seen pictures and heard stories.

Its pretty fricken wild. Seen a lot of underground shows of one stripe or another. Even my first time I could tell its losing its mad max hedonism as money and law enforcement converge once again to ruin a good thing.

Id see it soon, before it gets too "commercial" and safe.

We were surprised to see how alcohol-centric it is. Thought it would be more "rave-y". Can't walk 20 feet without someone offering you a drink. Literally. "Gifting" event. Obvious cross-pollination with the Rainbow Gathering.

Went for ten days last time. Volunteered. Too much. Shooting for four this year.

I wish I could go, does that count?

You'll have to give me the scoop. Have fun when you go...

Peace

Will do. Really nothing like it I know of. Harsh, dusty conditions, neon fish that spit fire. Boobies! Rivers of free booze. You could literally drink yourself to death before your feet started to hurt.

May be able to post from there. (For the novelty) Playa dust is HARD on electronics. Alkalai lakebed.

You know, I feel like I kind of "missed it."

By the time I got back into the country, I had sort of already let out all of the energy that would make me go to something like Burning Man, or a Rainbow Gathering for that matter. Too much of a cynic who doesn't like messing with my brain to do it anymore.

I did that sort of thing in my own way, I guess. And probably in a better way for me. Upon more careful consideration, I realized I am not the sort of person who would particularly want to deal with having sand in my knickers anyway.

I wouldn't mind going one day, seems like a good party.

You know, I feel like I kind of "missed it."

By the time I got back into the country, I had sort of already let out all of the energy that would make me go to something like Burning Man, or a Rainbow Gathering for that matter. Too much of a cynic who doesn't like messing with my brain to do it anymore.

I did that sort of thing in my own way, I guess. And probably in a better way for me. Upon more careful consideration, I realized I am not the sort of person who would particularly want to deal with having sand in my knickers anyway.

From what I've seen of your posts here, you'd probably like the Rainbow Gathering better. Its more of a short term social experiment than a party. They build a whole community in the wilderness for a couple weeks then erase all traces of their presence.

They're a little Luddite for me, but its a genuine hippy paradise.

From what I've seen of your posts here, you'd probably like the Rainbow Gathering better. Its more of a short term social experiment than a party. They build a whole community in the wilderness for a couple weeks then erase all traces of their presence.

They're a little Luddite for me, but its a genuine hippy paradise.

Heh, well, if you stop at "social experiment" then I'd agree. That sounds interesting and I'd probably get all philosophical and ridiculous up in there. But I'm no hippie. Hippies think I've lost my way. ;)

Ok...curiosity is getting the best of me... What is burning man??

Ok...curiosity is getting the best of me... What is burning man??

In the desert near Reno NV, upwards of 20,000 people get together for a cross between a rave and Thunderdome (Mad Max).

Happens on a dry lakebed, as there is MUCH fire. At night, "mutant vehicles", covered with lights and some shooting fire, drive around while music of various types plays. One of the vehicles is an articulated transit bus, disguised as a pirate ship with a dance floor on top.

I doubt there's anything like it in the world. Used to have a shooting gallery where you rode on the back of a truck and fired live rounds at targets as you rode through. No more guns now, and only "mutant" vehicles are allowed to drive around. Becoming more "commercial". Still worth checking out.

There's literally something for everybody. From an actual "Thunderdome" where you can do battle suspended from bungee cords just like in the movies, to a "monument" made entirely of elaborately scroll-cut plywood, where evetyone is enouraged to write or post pictures to "let go" of when it is burned to the ground.

The focal point, on the last night is the burning of a HUGE wooden man in the center of the circular event. Surrounded by fire dancers and other performers for hours before the "burn".

Can't really do it justice here, but there's LOTS online. I've got some video of nighttime there. If I can get the files small enough ill post it.

Heh, well, if you stop at "social experiment" then I'd agree. That sounds interesting and I'd probably get all philosophical and ridiculous up in there. But I'm no hippie. Hippies think I've lost my way. ;)

They're pretty tolerant and the Gathering began as a protest of the Vietnam war. I'm an appropriate technology guy, and the Luddite streak kinda got to me, but the focus is much more on living in a more naturally human fashion than "partying". They don't even "allow" alcohol inside the gathering. (Peer pressure only). VERY kid friendly, where the Burn is definitely NOT.

My favorite part is that for upwards of 30 years the Gathering was held in open defiance of the Feds. Not announcing the location til the last minute and delivering a fait accompli to the man. What are they going to do with 20k people?

They also have crews that literally erase all evidence of their presence. Far better than even the Sierra Club. A year after a gathering, its almost impossible to tell anyone was there. Hell, immediately after they're done, only experts can tell even then.

I'm an early riser, so I always do Kids Camp breakfast. Had a kid show up to breakfast once, face covered with red candy residue, asking for just syrup, literally vibrating with a sugar rush. Turned out when I refused to serve him just syrup that he'd never had refined suger before in his life.

Last edited:
In the desert near Reno NV, upwards of 20,000 people get together for a cross between a rave and Thunderdome (Mad Max).

Happens on a dry lakebed, as there is MUCH fire. At night, "mutant vehicles", covered with lights and some shooting fire, drive around while music of various types plays. One of the vehicles is an articulated transit bus, disguised as a pirate ship with a dance floor on top.

I doubt there's anything like it in the world. Used to have a shooting gallery where you rode on the back of a truck and fired live rounds at targets as you rode through. No more guns now, and only "mutant" vehicles are allowed to drive around. Becoming more "commercial". Still worth checking out.

There's literally something for everybody. From an actual "Thunderdome" where you can do battle suspended from bungee cords just like in the movies, to a "monument" made entirely of elaborately scroll-cut plywood, where evetyone is enouraged to write or post pictures to "let go" of when it is burned to the ground.

The focal point, on the last night is the burning of a HUGE wooden man in the center of the circular event. Surrounded by fire dancers and other performers for hours before the "burn".

Can't really do it justice here, but there's LOTS online. I've got some video of nighttime there. If I can get the files small enough ill post it.

Thanks. That sounds like a lot of fun. One of those kind of.... ya gotta go to experience it at least once in your life kinda things.

Burningman sounds like clubbing to me. I enjoy the idea of it, but in practice, I find it extremely annoying and confusing.

I think it looks like a bunch of hippies in the middle of the desert and probably lots of drugs... am I wrong?

I used to work with somebody and her husband was a doctor, and he'd work at the Burning Man... from what she told me about it, she said most of his patients were drug overdoses or bad acid trips. Oh and drunk people doing stupid **** and getting hurt.

Back
Top Bottom