• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anybody else here from Bisbee, Arizona?

Grandpappy

America First Populist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
bisbee-arizona-picture-id1202392946

Lots of racist and political fights in Bisbee in the early 20th century. Never knew it as a kid growing up there. An example is there were NO Asians there, even into the 1960s. Its still basically the same town as it was when I lived there in the 1970s, except peeling paint and New Age crystal shops. Kind of miss it sometimes, even though it's now a liberal AZ stronghold.
Anybody else?

Lots of racist and political fights in Bisbee in the early 20th century. Never knew it as a kid growing up there. An example is there were NO Asians there, even into the 1960s. Its still basically the same town as it was when I lived there in the 1970s, except peeling paint and New Age crystal shops. Kind of miss it sometimes, even though it's now a liberal AZ stronghold.
Anybody else?

Hello,

Maybe you could start this in the Southwest Forum. I'd love to learn more.

As I consider how my children will be able to afford housing, places like this become more interesting.

We have actually been discussing an overnight trip down there to look around.

It seems like it is still vibrant.

Bisbee, from what I recall, used to have a smelter. Is that correct ?

Thank you for posting this.

Hello,

Maybe you could start this in the Southwest Forum. I'd love to learn more.

As I consider how my children will be able to afford housing, places like this become more interesting.

We have actually been discussing an overnight trip down there to look around.

It seems like it is still vibrant.

Bisbee, from what I recall, used to have a smelter. Is that correct ?

Thank you for posting this.
There was one there in the 1900s I think. The newer smelter was in Douglas, 30 miles SE. Bisbee is a an old mining town. It looks the same as it did in 1971, but the residents are different. Worth a look, for sure. Love the old mines and history.

Anybody else?
I've lived off and on in the Phoenix area for more than 43 years. I've visited every corner of the state multiple times, including Bisbee (I delivered goods around the state for a few years when I was younger). There are a lot of small towns and old mining towns in Arizona like Bisbee that are like taking a step back in time. I love the nostalgia and always stop and spend a little time in them, rather than just driving through. My ex wife grew up in Safford.

Hell no Grandpappy.

Nice place to visit for Spring Training, but way too freaking hot, way not enough big trees, way too little grass. I wouldn't like it there at all.

Like I said, nice place to visit when its cold everywhere else.

I visited once. Lovely place. Nevertheless, much like the Ludlow massacre and the Haymarket riot, it's sad history is part of the untold story of US labor history. One thousand workers loaded into cattle cars and transported without food and water and dumped in New Mexico. Oh, you didn't know that? My point exactly.

Yeah hippies took over Bisbee in the 70s. I had an uncle who lived there but he never amounted to much.

There was one there in the 1900s I think. The newer smelter was in Douglas, 30 miles SE. Bisbee is a an old mining town. It looks the same as it did in 1971, but the residents are different. Worth a look, for sure. Love the old mines and history.

When I was in High School, my mother moved us to Sedona and I attended school in Cottonwood.

Up on the side of a mountain, overlooking the Verde Valley was Jerome, Arizona, an old mining town.

We would go good around there from time to time.

When I've seen pictures of Bisbee, they reminded me of Jerome (pictured below).

1648429431850.png

I visited once. Lovely place. Nevertheless, much like the Ludlow massacre and the Haymarket riot, it's sad history is part of the untold story of US labor history. One thousand workers loaded into cattle cars and transported without food and water and dumped in New Mexico. Oh, you didn't know that? My point exactly.

100 years ago ?

Really ????

Its a fun place, we go there a lot for weekends.

100 years ago ?

Really ????
My point wasn't to attack a lovely town that I found to be friendly. It was to comment on our culture's lack of recognition of labor history. The example of Haymarket is telling. All the world except the US and perhaps Canada celebrates the fight for the 8-hour day and the labor movement on May first. Even Carholics celebrate May 1 as St. Joseph the Worker. But I suspect that most Americans don't recognize the three events I listed.

My point wasn't to attack a lovely town that I found to be friendly. It was to comment on our culture's lack of recognition of labor history. The example of Haymarket is telling. All the world except the US and perhaps Canada celebrates the fight for the 8-hour day and the labor movement on May first. Even Carholics celebrate May 1 as St. Joseph the Worker. But I suspect that most Americans don't recognize the three events I listed.

Start you own thread.

This is ridiculous.

Have not been to Bisbee but want to go sometime. Have been to Superior many times. It's nestled in the foothills. There is a really good Mom and Pop mexican food restaurant on the right side as you come into town. They make fresh tortillas. The food is super. Don't remember the name of the restaurant. Will find out and post here later.

Been to Jerome many times. A really neat old mining town that has been turned into shops and tourist stuff. Arizona is so full of history and nature.

It's called "debate politics." I inserted some politics into the discussion.
Youre right. There were several fights with labor in WWI. I never knew that as a kid growing up there. It's a fascinating period of history.

Youre right. There were several fights with labor in WWI. I never knew that as a kid growing up there. It's a fascinating period of history.
Years ago I hosted a labor leader from Pakistan at a human rights meeting in Chicago. Knowing of the Haymarket riot’s significance even as far away as Pakistan, he wished to visit the site. But he was crestfallen when he found that there was no monument to the event, aside from something honoring the police officer(s) who died. That has since been corrected. I think one or more people were executed for crimes committed, but a later governor pardoned others, given the unfairness of their trials.

Have not been to Bisbee but want to go sometime. Have been to Superior many times. It's nestled in the foothills. There is a really good Mom and Pop mexican food restaurant on the right side as you come into town. They make fresh tortillas. The food is super. Don't remember the name of the restaurant. Will find out and post here later.

Been to Jerome many times. A really neat old mining town that has been turned into shops and tourist stuff. Arizona is so full of history and nature.
I have friends with properties in Globe. Home of Radio Free Phoenix!

Last two times we drove up to Jerome (we were staying in Sedona), we couldn't find a parking spot, so we left.

Back
Top Bottom