• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any tri-athletes here?

WI Crippler

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Just getting ready to start a 2 year plan to complete a full ironman triathlon. Wanted to see if there were any members of our community that were/are tri-athletes. Or if anybody has good advice on one of the three disciplines. I'm a decently strong runner, but am completely starting from scratch on biking and swimming.

Yes. I try repeatedly to get up off the couch and one of these days, dammit, I will.

Sort of...I watch TV, eat and play video games on my iPhone - all at the same time.

Now if I actually talk on that phone (with headphones) while doing the above...I guess I would be a quad-athlete.

And if I broke wind while doing the above four tasks I would be a penta-athlete.

;)

When I was in the Army we did some mini modified tri's. 100 meter swim, 5K run, followed by a 50K hike all with a 35 lb ruck sack.

Just getting ready to start a 2 year plan to complete a full ironman triathlon. Wanted to see if there were any members of our community that were/are tri-athletes. Or if anybody has good advice on one of the three disciplines. I'm a decently strong runner, but am completely starting from scratch on biking and swimming.

I used to do the military pentathlon however this only included running and swimming as two of the five competitive events.

Training regime:
I worked up to the UK squad running once every two days and a swim every 3 or 4 but I was told that I needed to up this to get to serious contention. Basically, a short 5 mile run in the morning and then a slower paced longer run at night - really takes your endurance up to pro level. I went from a half mile swim to 5 miles a day - always after the first run. The guy who got me into the competition used to do a 15 mile run carrying a backpack with 5-10 kilos of sand.
The routine worked - I was doing 125 miles a week and swimming around 20-25 miles too. I'm not a fast swimmer - it was my most hated element.

Clothing: at least two pairs of good running shoes; get them from a proper sports shop where you get weighed and your running style checked otherwise you could do a lot of long term damage to knees and ligaments. Nowadays I would recommend 3 pairs - use them alternate days so the impact absorption soles have time to recover.

Eating: high carbohydrate diet; you will need lots of stored up energy. Drop the chocolates, sweets, butter and sugar as soon as possible and work on potatoes / pasta etc then get yourself some trail mix for when you are going to do your second run of the day. If for any reason you stop working out or are going to - do it slowly and drop your food intake proportionately. All those carbs will show up otherwise.

Warm up / warm down
: get used to spending as long warming up as warming down after exercise, if you're running upwards of 70 miles a week then you can burn inner fats around muscles and do damage.

High visibility: you'll be going lots of places, traffic needs to see you as far ahead as possible so invest in high vis clothes and put strips on your kit.

Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on!

Ive done a couple of mini triathlons and trained with my cousin who has completed 2 iron mans

running is the hardest one, if youve got that down you can finish the other 2

Im a trio-imbiber: beers, wines and spirits. Does that count? :mrgreen:

I've run a full marathon last year and I can just go out and do a half at any point. I'm pretty solid on the shoe fitting/feel for distance running plus I work in physical therapy so I'm aware of bio-mechanics of gait. Right now I'm keeping a 7 min 30 sec mile pace on 10 mile distance on a hilly course(thats all there are here is hills) which isn't lightning fast, but I'm also 225lbs. I figure I can get that to sub 7 min mile when I get down to 200. Swimming I can do for a long time already, but I am wicked slow. I'm pretty sure I'm not using solid technique, but I want to again get my weight down before I invest in some coaching. And biking....I stopped that 20 years ago when I got a drivers license. That's going to be the expensive part of all this, so I want to make sure I get that all fitted right.

Does being a tri-sexual count? Just kidding.

I'd focus on the running and biking - I don't think good swimming will win you much in an ironman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom