• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any tanks, fighters, or bombers that run on renewable fuel?

Moderate71

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Are there any tanks, fighters, or bombers that run on ethanol or batteries? I've always thought an aircraft carriers deck could be a giant solar panel for powering not only the ship, except also the batteries on the planes. The plane's wings could have solar panels as well. They could also attach windmills to the aircraft carrier to assist in power generation.

Aren't aircraft carriers run on nuclear power?

As for the planes....not enough room on a plane to cover near enough solar panels that would be required to get the plane off the ground, much less flying long enough to get to a target area hundreds of miles away, do whatever combat maneuvers needed, and then return home.

Aren't aircraft carriers run on nuclear power?

As for the planes....not enough room on a plane to cover near enough solar panels that would be required to get the plane off the ground, much less flying long enough to get to a target area hundreds of miles away, do whatever combat maneuvers needed, and then return home.

The plane would also have batteries that would be charged by the solar panels on the aircraft carrier and the windmills.

Last edited:
Are there any tanks, fighters, or bombers that run on ethanol or batteries? I've always thought an aircraft carriers deck could be a giant solar panel for powering not only the ship, except also the batteries on the planes. The plane's wings could have solar panels as well. They could also attach windmills to the aircraft carrier to assist in power generation.

To put things into perspective, the newest US aircraft carrier is powered by 2 A1B reactors. It is classified just how powerful they are but are estimated to be each at 700mw. Saudi Arabia is planning on building the worlds largest concentrated solar power project that will cover the equivalent of 4,500 football fields and be 260m tall, it will produce roughly 700mw.

Why are we having this conversation?

I had this mental picture of a fighter plane, weighing in from 8-22 tons slamming down on an aircraft carrier flight deck made out of solar panels during landing. :shock:

I'm thinking any money saved in energy costs would be eaten up by maintenance costs.

Leopard 2?

It'll burn just about anything burnable that's also liquid, be that thing renewable or not. Does that count?

BTW, why doesn't nuclear power count as renewable?

Bomber:
How about this....https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/history/pastprojects/Erast/centurion2.html. Attach bombs to it and, voila, it's a bomber.

Solar, wind, tidal, etc. don't leave a residual poison that requires perennial maintenance to prevent poisoning humanity beyond the lifetimes of the builders ergo outside their responsibililty. Irresponsible.
/

I believe the US military has spent a lot of money on bio fuels and that it has invested heavily on solar panels for FOB's (experimental at least)

Solar, wind, tidal, etc. don't leave a residual poison that requires perennial maintenance to prevent poisoning humanity beyond the lifetimes of the builders ergo outside their responsibililty. Irresponsible.
/

And how do those forms of energy production work on say an F-16? An M1A1?

And how do those forms of energy production work on say an F-16? An M1A1?

They don't. Defund the Military Offense budget and they won't need to. 220 btu/square foot and you calculate how many square feet you are going to need. That's solar. BTUs/ft2 will vary with latitude. Blind patriots will be incapable of understanding.
/

They don't. Defund the Military Offense budget and they won't need to. 220 btu/square foot and you calculate how many square feet you are going to need. That's solar. BTUs/ft2 will vary with latitude. Blind patriots will be incapable of understanding.
/

Defunding the military won't happen.

The thread is about renewable energy and military equipment.

It is you that is incapable of understanding.

Defunding the military won't happen.

The thread is about renewable energy and military equipment.

It is you that is incapable of understanding.

See what I mean!
/

Yes, we understand you are unable to understand the gist of the thread...

Pat # 4,971,028
Double down on dumb. Trump would be proud. A very military posture.
/

Last edited:

Fighter jets or bombers no, the batteries needed to run them would be so heavy that it would outstrip any power they have. Now electric jet engines are experimented for mspace use using mini nuclear reactorsm but they do not have to fight gravity in the same sense vehicles on earth do, making them much more efficient there and there is promise in that idea.

As far as tanks yes it is possible however the range would be terrible, but the us govt has experimented with using diesel gernators to power an electric version of the hemtt, granted it would still use a diesel engine, but use it to power electric motors like a diesel electric train, if the tech is perfected it would be fairly efficient however whether in a tank or a truck, it is not, the issue is making it efficient in all loads, a train gets to speed and maintains it, a truck has to handle various stop and go making the motor to be efficient through that is a challenge.

To put things into perspective, the newest US aircraft carrier is powered by 2 A1B reactors. It is classified just how powerful they are but are estimated to be each at 700mw. Saudi Arabia is planning on building the worlds largest concentrated solar power project that will cover the equivalent of 4,500 football fields and be 260m tall, it will produce roughly 700mw.

I think it's 450 football fields, not 4500.

I think it's 450 football fields, not 4500.

The project will comprise the world’s tallest solar tower of 260 meters, and is said to be as tall as Emirates Towers in Dubai.

The solar power plant will cover 3,750 hectares- i.e. *equivalent to 4,500 football fields.

700MW concentrated solar power project in Dubai hits a new record bid with $7.3 cents per KWh - Climate Action

I got it from that article. So if incorrect, it's their fault :p

Back
Top Bottom