• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any politician who says we should ban "Assault Weapons" is lying or ignorant. Full Stop.

Noodlegawd

Somebody you used to know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
And I'm not talking about what the term "assault weapon" or "assault rifle" means to firearm enthusiasts, so let's not get into that again. I'm talking about the way it is defined in pretty much every existing or proposed ban in the US based on certain feature that are included on many semiautomatic weapons, like pistol grips and adjustable shoulder stocks.

The idea of an "assault weapon ban" is one of the top darlings of the gun control movement. Yet there is no feature of a firearm that distinguishes "assault weapons" from many other semiautomatic firearms, that has been shown to be meaningful from a public safety point of view. To put it simply, there's no rational reason to believe that anyone ever died because "assault weapons," specifically, are legal for civilians to own.

So the only rational conclusion is that anti-gun lawmakers are lying to their base, taking advantage of their ignorance, and pandering to their fears, all for the purpose of deluding them into thinking they want to do something meaningful.

Re: Any politician who says we should ban "Assault Weapons" is lying or ignorant. Full Stop.

And I'm not talking about what the term "assault weapon" or "assault rifle" means to firearm enthusiasts, so let's not get into that again. I'm talking about the way it is defined in pretty much every existing or proposed ban in the US based on certain feature that are included on many semiautomatic weapons, like pistol grips and adjustable shoulder stocks.

The idea of an "assault weapon ban" is one of the top darlings of the gun control movement. Yet there is no feature of a firearm that distinguishes "assault weapons" from many other semiautomatic firearms, that has been shown to be meaningful from a public safety point of view. To put it simply, there's no rational reason to believe that anyone ever died because "assault weapons," specifically, are legal for civilians to own.

So the only rational conclusion is that anti-gun lawmakers are lying to their base, taking advantage of their ignorance, and pandering to their fears, all for the purpose of deluding them into thinking they want to do something meaningful.

They don’t know an assault rifle from a salt shaker.

You are making the assumption that anti-2nd amendment trash are supporting assault weapon bans out of ignorance. Anti-2nd amendment trash know they can't just outright ban semiautomatic firearms and other firearms. They have to do it piece by piece inch by inch to achieve their goals. Banning semiautoamtic firearms based on cosmetic appearances inches their way towards to bans on all semiautomatic firearms, revolvers and other types of firearms.

You are making the assumption that anti-2nd amendment trash are supporting assault weapon bans out of ignorance. Anti-2nd amendment trash know they can't just outright ban semiautomatic firearms and other firearms. They have to do it piece by piece inch by inch to achieve their goals. Banning semiautoamtic firearms based on cosmetic appearances inches their way towards to bans on all semiautomatic firearms, revolvers and other types of firearms.

That's why I said they're lying.

Ban the AR15 style weapon from civilian use by all except former 11Bs, or 0311s.

Fact: People kill more people with assault rifles equipped with high-capacity magazines than they kill with other weapons.

• An analysis by the Rockefeller Institute of Government found that mass shootings that involved assault rifles resulted in an average of 5.2 deaths and 7.6 injuries, while mass shootings that didn’t involve assault rifles resulted in an average of 2.9 deaths and 3.2 injuries.

• Many of the most deadly mass shootings, such as those in Las Vegas, Orlando, Sutherland Springs, Newtown, El Paso and elsewhere, involved one or more military-style assault weapons.

That is why they want magazine capacity limits which apply to all semi-auto firearms.

Ban the AR15 style weapon from civilian use by all except former 11Bs, or 0311s.

I wouldn't trust the data from that link. They use assault weapon and assault rifle interchangeably. One term refers to semiautomic firearms regardless if they are rifles,handguns or shotguns with certain cosmetic features. The other refers to select fire automatic/burst rifles that fire an intermediate sized cartridge.SO they clearly do not know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to firearms or they are lying their ass off. The link they used also tried to fraudulently claim lowered use of AK-47 style firearms during mass shootings was reduced when the Brady assault weapons ban was in effect. Those who know anything about the ban knows that the ban only banned firearms by name and with those cosmetic features only.So if you remade a Ak-47 without two or more of those cosmetic features and renamed then it was legal under the Brady bill.And this was true for every semiautomatic rifle, semiautomatic handgun, and semiautomatic shotgun defined as an assault weapon by the Brady Bill.

I wouldn't trust the data from that link. They use assault weapon and assault rifle interchangeably. One term refers to semiautomic firearms regardless if they are rifles,handguns or shotguns with certain cosmetic features. The other refers to select fire automatic/burst rifles that fire an intermediate sized cartridge.SO they clearly do not know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to firearms or they are lying their ass off. The link they used also tried to fraudulently claim lowered use of AK-47 style firearms during mass shootings was reduced when the Brady assault weapons ban was in effect. Those who know anything about the ban knows that the ban only banned firearms by name and with those cosmetic features only.So if you remade a Ak-47 without two or more of those cosmetic features and renamed then it was legal under the Brady bill.And this was true for every semiautomatic rifle, semiautomatic handgun, and semiautomatic shotgun defined as an assault weapon by the Brady Bill.

Yes, yes, I know all about the features like a bayonet lug, etc. I know all about the difference between an AR15 and the M16s, etc. My point is that's obvious to those of us who used the real thing in the service. This pretending to be knowledgable because you know the difference is nonsense. Anyone with a brain knows what the difference is. So, to cut all the BS I suggest that only former 11Bs and 0311s should be able to own an AR15. That cuts out all the pretentious crap.

Yes, yes, I know all about the features like a bayonet lug, etc. I know all about the difference between an AR15 and the M16s, etc. My point is that's obvious to those of us who used the real thing in the service. This pretending to be knowledgable because you know the difference is nonsense. Anyone with a brain knows what the difference is. So, to cut all the BS I suggest that only former 11Bs and 0311s should be able to own an AR15. That cuts out all the pretentious crap.
So if I know more about handling a ar15 than some one enlistment grunt I can't have one? Nope

^^^ See, this is why we have to take these firearms away from the average civilian. You don't know anything.
I'm sorry the law will exclude you.

There are a nice selection of slingshots you may qualify for

Why would anti-2nd amendment trash want former infantry soldiers and marines to own AR15 rifles? I would think that if I was one of those anti-gun ******s who wants to ban semiautomatic firearms then the last person I would want with a semiautomatic rifle is someone with lots of training and or combat experiance with a semiautomatic version an assault rifle.

Why would anti-2nd amendment trash want former infantry soldiers and marines to own AR15 rifles? I would think that if I was one of those anti-gun ******s who wants to ban semiautomatic firearms then the last person I would want with a semiautomatic rifle is someone with lots of training and or combat experiance with a semiautomatic version an assault rifle.

Well, we'll have to educate them.

Case in point:

Ohio state legislature bill SB 260 would classify any semiautomatic firearm capable of accepting a 10+ round ie "large capacity" magazine as an "assault weapon".

Oregon state legislature bill SB 501 would classify any magazine capable of holding 6 or more rounds as "large capacity".

Under these definitions, the six shot Raven .25 ACP would be an "assault weapon", as would every single semiautomatic firearm capable of holding more than six rounds.

Case in point:

Ohio state legislature bill SB 260 would classify any semiautomatic firearm capable of accepting a 10+ round ie "large capacity" magazine as an "assault weapon".

Oregon state legislature bill SB 501 would classify any magazine capable of holding 6 or more rounds as "large capacity".

Under these definitions, the six shot Raven .25 ACP would be an "assault weapon", as would every single semiautomatic firearm capable of holding more than six rounds.

Another example of why all that needs to be done is to ban the AR15 from everyone except former 11Bs and 0311s and that's it. No more weapons bans, no magazine bans, no bayonet lug bans, blah blah blah, no more nothing.

Back
Top Bottom