• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#310]Any person who uses any drug, medicinal article or instrument for the purpose of preventing conception shall be fined not less than fifty'

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
'Any person who uses any drug, medicinal article or instrument for the purpose of preventing conception shall be fined not less than fifty dollars or imprisoned not less than sixty days nor more than one year or be both fined and imprisoned.' Section 54—196, General Statutes of Connecticut (1958 rev.)

This was the statute that was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1965 in Griswold v. Connecticut. In doing so, the Supreme Court stated, "This law... operates directly on an intimate relation of husband and wife and their physician's role in one aspect of that relation." As the Court then put it, "We deal with a right of privacy older than the Bill of Rights older than our political parties, older than our school system." We are on the precipice of laws such as this being reinstated around the country. Do we want to be?

The Court rested its decision on the concept that "specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have penumbras, formed by emanations from those guarantees that help give them life and substance." It is the same basis that informed the Court's decision in Roe v. Wade. But three of the then-Justices, in concurrence, went further and specifically addressed the Ninth Amendment's application to the issue: "My conclusion that the concept of liberty is not so restricted and that it embraces the right of marital privacy though that right is not mentioned explicitly in the Constitution1 is supported both by numerous decisions of this Court, referred to in the Court's opinion, and by the language and history of the Ninth Amendment." ('The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.')

The concurrence noted that "The language and history of the Ninth Amendment reveal that the Framers of the Constitution believed that there are additional fundamental rights, protected from governmental infringement, which exist alongside those fundamental rights specifically mentioned in the first eight constitutional amendments." They concluded "the Framers did not intend that the first eight amendments be construed to exhaust the basic and fundamental rights which the Constitution guaranteed to the people."

I have always preferred the concurrence's argument over the "penumbra" argument, as it stands on firmer footing. I think almost anyone would agree that privacy is a fundamental interest of all of us, even if it is not explicitly stated in the Constitution's "Bill of Rights". As the concurrence notes, "The Ninth Amendment simply shows the intent of the Constitution's authors that other fundamental personal rights should not be denied such protection or disparaged in any other way simply because they are not specifically listed in the first eight constitutional amendments. I do not see how this broadens the authority of the Court; rather it serves to support what this Court has been doing in protecting fundamental rights."

How are we to protect fundamental rights from governmental erasure if we don't acknowledge that the Constitution is broader than its four corners?

When human ovum enters the fallopian tubes, it is alive. It only dies by neglect. What about the living ovum's right to life? We need Texas to get on that.

'Any person who uses any drug, medicinal article or instrument for the purpose of preventing conception shall be fined not less than fifty dollars or imprisoned not less than sixty days nor more than one year or be both fined and imprisoned.' Section 54—196, General Statutes of Connecticut (1958 rev.)

This was the statute that was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1965 in Griswold v. Connecticut. In doing so, the Supreme Court stated, "This law... operates directly on an intimate relation of husband and wife and their physician's role in one aspect of that relation." As the Court then put it, "We deal with a right of privacy older than the Bill of Rights older than our political parties, older than our school system." We are on the precipice of laws such as this being reinstated around the country. Do we want to be?

The Court rested its decision on the concept that "specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have penumbras, formed by emanations from those guarantees that help give them life and substance." It is the same basis that informed the Court's decision in Roe v. Wade. But three of the then-Justices, in concurrence, went further and specifically addressed the Ninth Amendment's application to the issue: "My conclusion that the concept of liberty is not so restricted and that it embraces the right of marital privacy though that right is not mentioned explicitly in the Constitution1 is supported both by numerous decisions of this Court, referred to in the Court's opinion, and by the language and history of the Ninth Amendment." ('The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.')

The concurrence noted that "The language and history of the Ninth Amendment reveal that the Framers of the Constitution believed that there are additional fundamental rights, protected from governmental infringement, which exist alongside those fundamental rights specifically mentioned in the first eight constitutional amendments." They concluded "the Framers did not intend that the first eight amendments be construed to exhaust the basic and fundamental rights which the Constitution guaranteed to the people."

I have always preferred the concurrence's argument over the "penumbra" argument, as it stands on firmer footing. I think almost anyone would agree that privacy is a fundamental interest of all of us, even if it is not explicitly stated in the Constitution's "Bill of Rights". As the concurrence notes, "The Ninth Amendment simply shows the intent of the Constitution's authors that other fundamental personal rights should not be denied such protection or disparaged in any other way simply because they are not specifically listed in the first eight constitutional amendments. I do not see how this broadens the authority of the Court; rather it serves to support what this Court has been doing in protecting fundamental rights."

How are we to protect fundamental rights from governmental erasure if we don't acknowledge that the Constitution is broader than its four corners?
I posted this several times but I need to make sure people at least consider my theory that republicans don't care about life people's rights or anything other than controlling the masses. That's what this is all about. They want an upper class that could control the lower class including when they conceive.

Great, so that must also include financial privacy as well, meaning the government has no business knowing how much money someone makes or how they made it.

I posted this several times but I need to make sure people at least consider my theory that republicans don't care about life people's rights or anything other than controlling the masses. That's what this is all about. They want an upper class that could control the lower class including when they conceive.

But the richer you are the better person you are so why not let the ultra rich run everything?
The rich also need protecting so we better not tax them as they may run away and then where would we be?

As for being against contraception.
Yay, yet more going back to the Middle Ages.
I didn't realise that's what MAGA stood for.
Can I have one of your supercomputers when you decide to bin them all for being agents of the Devil?
I'd like to see if I can run Crysis at 200fps at 16k with full Ray tracing.

Yeah, true. trumps dad gave him 400 million dollars. That's automatic sainthood, amirite?

Sainthood would be a downgrade for someone as special as Trump.
God status at the very least.

The exorcism failed.
Dude, no. That was no "exorcism". That was Dr. Frankenstien, harnessing their monster to do ONE THING - destroy women's rights to healthcare. After that was done, they didn't give a shit what he did.

He was nothing but a means to an end for them. Evangelicals are truly Satan attempting to conceal their true objectives.

If this individual “right to privacy” exists then why does it not apply to recreational drug use? What in this individual “right to privacy” allegedly connected (or limited) it to matters of marriage and/or sexual relations?

Great, so that must also include financial privacy as well, meaning the government has no business knowing how much money someone makes or how they made it.

The biggest violation of financial or property privacy are civil asset forfeiture and red flag laws. They allow the government to seize money or other property without any criminal charge or due process of law preceding the imposition of that sentence.

The biggest violation of financial or property privacy are civil asset forfeiture and red flag laws. They allow the government to seize money or other property without any criminal charge or due process of law preceding the imposition of that sentence.

I honestly don't understand how civil asset forfeiture is even slightly legal.
We don't have anything similar in the UK.
Sure we can be fined but that's done by courts. The police can't just take stuff on the pretense that it may be involved in some unknown crime, thats blatant theft.

Its fascinating that one would argue you have total right to control your own money, a human contrivance that connects one to the community, but not one's own body.

It's been obvious all along.

I thought they meant the 1960s, not the 1460s.

I really hope you guys enjoy gruel as I hear it was really popular back then.

Its fascinating that one would argue you have total right to control your own money, a human contrivance that connects one to the community, but not one's own body.

Modern birth control is more of a "human contrivance" than money is. Money goes back 5000 years.

When human ovum enters the fallopian tubes, it is alive. It only dies by neglect. What about the living ovum's right to life? We need Texas to get on that.
An ovum isn't alive any more than your big toe is alive.

ovum, noun, a mature female reproductive cell, especially of a human or other animal, which can divide to give rise to an embryo usually only after fertilization by a male cell.

If this individual “right to privacy” exists then why does it not apply to recreational drug use?

This needs to be addressed by "right to privacy" advocates, because it's not going to go away.

Apparently progressives believe a pregnant 13 year old girl has a "right to privacy" from government intrusion, but a 40 year old woman putting politically incorrect drugs into her own body while inside of her own home does not.

Not only do progressives toss her "right to privacy" into the garbage, they also toss her right to bodily autonomy into the trash right along with it.

This is a staggering level of intellectual inconsistency, even for the political left.

If this individual “right to privacy” exists then why does it not apply to recreational drug use? What in this individual “right to privacy” allegedly connected (or limited) it to matters of marriage and/or sexual relations?
I would contend that it does. What do you think?

God, you really don't understand the concept at all, do you?

Due Process is a continuum, not a black and white thing (I understand that you don't see gray). The process that is due is based upon the circumstances.

Also, you have mixed apples and oranges in your assertion. I spent several years prosecuting civil asset forfeiture cases. ALL of the ones I dealt with were well within the concept, although there were a number of jurisdictions which got ridiculous with it, and there I would agree with you (seizing cars from Johns, for example). Of course, my experience was with explicitly drug dealers, so that was a much easier case to make. Red flag laws are a completely different issue. That's a balancing of personal versus public safety.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand how civil asset forfeiture is even slightly legal.
We don't have anything similar in the UK.
Sure we can be fined but that's done by courts. The police can't just take stuff on the pretense that it may be involved in some unknown crime, thats blatant theft.
I beg to differ, friend. We got it from you. :)

The Ninth implies that it could be broader than its four corners and the Tenth says who should make that decision. It’s not SCOTUS or any other branch of the Federal Government - it’s the States and the people via their elected State representatives which is how it was done on this issue from this country’s founding until Griswold and later Roe.

I would contend that it does. What do you think?

I think that without text the alleged individual “right to privacy” is largely a figment of the imagination’s of the current SCOTUS majority opinion. For example, can this “right to privacy” be abridged or denied? According to RvW yes, based on a SCOTUS declared (defined?) ‘compelling state interest‘. What is a ‘compelling state interest’? Who knows, since that appears to be entirely up to the SCOTUS as well.

After all, if the government has the power to take private property via civil asset forfeiture and/or red flag laws then you have no individual Constitutional rights (not even the right to due process of law or trial with a jury of your peers before a sentence is imposed) - they are all merely state issued privileges subject to “reasonable restriction” or barely limited abuse.

Back
Top Bottom