• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any Law Criminal Experts Here?

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I'm curious if the public is allowed to view unsolved, cold case homicide files.

The case I'm interested in seeing is from 60 years ago, and happened in California.

I've been told that the case file and evidence were transferred to Sacramento some time ago.

Does anyone know if the public can request to view such files?

I'm curious if the public is allowed to view unsolved, cold case homicide files.

The case I'm interested in seeing is from 60 years ago, and happened in California.

I've been told that the case file and evidence were transferred to Sacramento some time ago.

Try checking through the list of California State and Local law enforcement agencies at this website.

You should be able to find out what may or may not be accessed for still open/unsolved cases.

NCSTL

Try checking through the list of California State and Local law enforcement agencies at this website.

You should be able to find out what may or may not be accessed for still open/unsolved cases.

NCSTL

Thanks Captain.
Looks like the answer is no, the public cannot view cold case files.
Makes sense, I just thought that maybe some older cases could be viewed after a certain length of time, like say, classified documents.

Thanks Captain.
Looks like the answer is no, the public cannot view cold case files.
Makes sense, I just thought that maybe some older cases could be viewed after a certain length of time, like say, classified documents.

I hesitated to say definitively, but I thought it would be a no-go. The cases often contain information on evidence never revealed to the public in order to prevent copy-cats or alert the actual perpetrators about something that might trip them up and prevent a future arrest.

They may make some information available if they are looking for tips, but I seriously doubt they would release the entire case file.

Back
Top Bottom