• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any gamer please give your input...y-axis inversion yay or nay?

Johnson

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm a little older than the average gamer kid, I grew up with atari and NES, and at that point games didn't give yhe option to invert the y-axis or not. I still to this day always invery the y-axis for any FPS or flight games, which younger gamers have told me they generally don't do. So I'd like some opinions from any users who game on here. Do you invert your y-axis? Are you an older (30+) gamer or younger?

It is really helpful for people who played a lot of flight sims. Other than that, it won't help many people.

As someone who plays a good bit of FPS games, and a few 3rd person view games, I usually am against axis inversion set ups.

The only games that would suggest doing so are flight combat & simulation types where that movement is more natural to expected vehicle controls across similar games and conditions.

I'm a little older than the average gamer kid, I grew up with atari and NES, and at that point games didn't give yhe option to invert the y-axis or not. I still to this day always invery the y-axis for any FPS or flight games, which younger gamers have told me they generally don't do. So I'd like some opinions from any users who game on here. Do you invert your y-axis? Are you an older (30+) gamer or younger?

I invert from the normal gaming mode, because that's the perspective I have/had when flying real planes, or controlling real vehicles on the ground or in the water. To me, it's the correct perspective - "joystick back is up" so to speak. I'm over 50, btw.

I fly World of Warplanes online and couldn't do it if the joystick back position wasn't the up control.

I too grew up with Atari and NES, but to tell you the truth, I don't really know what that option is supposed to achieve; it always perplexed me and I never turn it on.

I too grew up with Atari and NES, but to tell you the truth, I don't really know what that option is supposed to achieve; it always perplexed me and I never turn it on.

I'll always do the inversion because it's what I'm used to. Thats really the reason most people I know give for inversion vs non-inversion...its just whichever you're used to and comfortable with. If you have always done one or the other and try to play with the opposite of what you're used to it's (for me at least) really hard to do, it feels so awkward.

I'll always do the inversion because it's what I'm used to. Thats really the reason most people I know give for inversion vs non-inversion...its just whichever you're used to and comfortable with. If you have always done one or the other and try to play with the opposite of what you're used to it's (for me at least) really hard to do, it feels so awkward.

I understand that, but what I don't understand is who got used to the inverted y-axis so as to need the option in the first place.

Try them both. I use inverted so if I move my mouse forward the helicopter noses down.

Afaik, when you move your mouse forward on a web page you are moving up, and that is counter intuitive to flight controls: forward is nose down.

In my 40s and I invert it because that is what I am used to when operating air and water craft in real life. My muscle memory doesn't like the other way.

In my 40s and I invert it because that is what I am used to when operating air and water craft in real life. My muscle memory doesn't like the other way.

In about ten years or so, you won't have to worry about muscle memory... or memory of any sort.

I understand that, but what I don't understand is who got used to the inverted y-axis so as to need the option in the first place.

Actually yeah, when you say it that way I can't for the life of me remember when/how I got used to using inverted axis. At this point its been so long, like another poster said it's muscle memory...but as far as how it happened I can't remember whatsoever

Back
Top Bottom