• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any experienced handymen here?

Sherlock Holmes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I have a challenging little problem about cutting PVC piping, its unusual so I'd like to see if there are ways to do it.

Any takers?

I have a challenging little problem about cutting PVC piping, its unusual so I'd like to see if there are ways to do it.

Any takers?

There are various cutters available. If you are using 3/4” or smaller there are plier-type cutters. There is also a wire saw, but you need to have more than two hands or a place to clamp the work. If you have power tools, table saw, jig saw etc they will work. If you are joining pieces with glue make sure to remove any burrs from the sawing.......

What’ the “unusual” part?

Any takers?

What's your unusual problem? PVC is not that difficult to cut. With a knife or with a saw, or a dedicated PVC cutter.

Last edited:

Any takers?

There are several variations of tools you can use. They are rather common here in the states and I think there are only four, or five brands that are used through the market.

I use an AIRAJ cutter myself.

There are various cutters available. If you are using 3/4” or smaller there are plier-type cutters. There is also a wire saw, but you need to have more than two hands or a place to clamp the work. If you have power tools, table saw, jig saw etc they will work. If you are joining pieces with glue make sure to remove any burrs from the sawing.......

What’ the “unusual” part?

On speculation. It could be either old, or otherwise flawed pvc piping.

Bubbles, cracks, and fissures makes cutting pipe like that. A distinct hassle.

Hi, here's the challnege.

I have a new chicken coop with a corrugated metal roof, e.g.

HTB1VUP0gcjI8KJjSsppq6xbyVXan.jpg

The corrugated edge runs along the back of the roof of the coop and is about throat height - you can appreciate the risk if someone is distracted or careless.

We tried foam pipe insulation and these worked, the glue was fine and the edge was nicely cushioned but the weather (extreme sun/heat in Arizona, particularly this year) has dried the glue and the foam has begun to decay.

I want to now use pvc pipe, say 1.5" diameter but would love to cut a wavy slot along the edge (rather than just a straight line) to get a very neat fit and make it more secure overall.

I have a Dremel (that I have yet to use!) and wonder is there some way I can use a small power tool like this to cut a wavy line along the length of pipe like this?

View attachment 67293328

The corrugated edge runs along the back of the roof of the coop and is about throat height - you can appreciate the risk if someone is distracted or careless.

We tried foam pipe insulation and these worked, the glue was fine and the edge was nicely cushioned but the weather (extreme sun/heat in Arizona, particularly this year) has dried the glue and the foam has begun to decay.

I want to now use pvc pipe, say 1.5" diameter but would love to cut a wavy slot along the edge (rather than just a straight line) to get a very neat fit and make it more secure overall.

I have a Dremel (that I have yet to use!) and wonder is there some way I can use a small power tool like this to cut a wavy line along the length of pipe like this?

I might be tempted to use a bigger pvc (4 inch, maybe) and cut it with a big enough slot to be a rain gutter as well as a guard.

I might be tempted to use a bigger pvc (4 inch, maybe) and cut it with a big enough slot to be a rain gutter as well as a guard.

OK that's a good idea, it may be the best way too, it will eventually rain here ! (We had no monsoon this year).

Anyone else?

View attachment 67293328

IMO, a Drexel tool will not get the desired results, plus I have never run into a cutting bit or wheel that is very robust. Find a friend with a table saw and gut two passes only wide enough to tightly slip over the corrugation. You can through drill and secure the pvc with small bolts and nuts spaced out. Drainage can be achieved by drilling random holes on the lower side.

Where do I send the bill?
:2razz:

EDIT: your throat or the chicken’s throat?

IMO, a Drexel tool will not get the desired results, plus I have never run into a cutting bit or wheel that is very robust. Find a friend with a table saw and gut two passes only wide enough to tightly slip over the corrugation. You can through drill and secure the pvc with small bolts and nuts spaced out. Drainage can be achieved by drilling random holes on the lower side.

Our throats!

Our throats!

Had another thought: get a body hammer and dolly and straighten the corrugated edge flat. If the sheet is not yet installed you can do this on the ground. Then you only need one pass of the saw.

The photo in the link is perfect, just use the straight side of the dolly!

How To Use a Hammer and Dolly >> NAPA Know How Blog

Or after taking the waves out use the hammer and dolly to fold over the shirt edge.......no pvc needed.

OK yes, that too is a decent idea, saves forcing the pipe onto the corrugation, the gap will be enough to fit it - but I have no table saw nor anyone I know out here...

OK yes, that too is a decent idea, saves forcing the pipe onto the corrugation, the gap will be enough to fit it - but I have no table saw nor anyone I know out here...

Must be a business geographically convenient that could cut a slot in the pipe for a minimal fee?

I'm wondering if there is a plastic material that is not so tough as PVC, something like we find in corrugated (no connection here) hoses (like used in swimming pools).

Then I could possibly push/force/hammer the pipe along the edge of the corrugated metal and the edge of the metal would/might naturally cut into the material perfectly...problem is though if the material is somewhat soft then a hammer won't do much to force it onto the metal edge...

Last edited:
Hmm, perhaps I could get some flexible tube/hose of the right size and insert a bar/pole into it, a snug fit would be fine.

Then I could take a piece of the corrugation and hold it edgewise against the hose and hammer it, it should then cut through the hose because the pole inside would be a hard surface for the hammered metal to work against...the corrugated edge is kind of sharp, not like a knife but easily able to cut into something (like my throat)

I'm wondering if there is a plastic material that is not so tough as PVC, something like we find in corrugated (no connection here) hoses (like used in swimming pools).

Then I could possibly push/force/hammer the pipe along the edge of the corrugated metal and the edge of the metal would/might naturally cut into the material perfectly...problem is though if the material is somewhat soft then a hammer won't do much to force it onto the metal edge...

There is an automotive wire loom covering that will maybe contour to the wavy edge. Not sure how you would adhere it to the roof edge. It comes in various diameters and has a split to install the wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/corrugated-wire-loom-tubing/s?k=corrugated+wire+loom+tubing

would a length of water hose not be adequate to serve as an end cap for that piece of siding?
should be easier to cut/install than the PVC

What's your unusual problem? PVC is not that difficult to cut. With a knife or with a saw, or a dedicated PVC cutter.

I think he is having us on.

Cutting pvc long-ways is a little different!

View attachment 67293328

Get a coping saw map out the conture and follow it with your saw, use a file to finish.

Then I could possibly push/force/hammer the pipe along the edge of the corrugated metal and the edge of the metal would/might naturally cut into the material perfectly...

With no tools available ... The answer may be same/similar to what you had... all things take maintaining.
use pool noodles that you can cut with a utility knife or pre cut pipe insulation to install over the edge.
Prior to installation, thoroughly coat the foam (2-4 coats or more if needed) with exterior grade acrylic latex paint, coating should be about 1/16" dry thick.
the paint will extend the foam life by protecting from the elements.
Find a different adhesive sealant to adhere the foam to the metal then apply sealant to the top exposed edge of the foam where it contacts the roof panels....
While you're painting... paint all sun exposed pvc anywhere you have it. the sun will deteriorate most things.
Sealants / Adhesives ... try Excel or Sonneborn products for that application. These are normally
commercial/industrial products tho the big box stores may carry them now... they're worth the $ when properly used.

Searching for "edge trim" on Amazon is turning up some good stuff...

Get a coping saw map out the conture and follow it with your saw, use a file to finish.

How is a coping saw going to cut a groove in plastic pipe?

Back
Top Bottom