• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any experienced handymen here?

Didn't realise that's what he wanted to do. In that case the only thing I would think could work is a rotary tool or a router with a very narrow bit.

use the coping saw to make a pattern/jig to use as a cut guide for the pvc. easy peasy
everything depends on the tools available..

I looked online searching for that and they call them horizontal roof closures they make out of plastic now

Haven't seen plastic but it's been years since needing anything similar...
plastic will not live long in the sun... acrylic latex paint will extend the life but it's still plastic.

20200829_144222.jpg

Not a very good drawing but If you want a permanent solution run blocking between your rafter tails at.the eave and either order have a.sheet metal shop break you some metal eve trim. One leg goes under the corrugated metal, a vertical leg is made into the flashing that kills out the corrugated edge and the other leg nails to the blocking between the rafter tails.

For a cheap amateur method. You could screw blocking to the bottom of the corrugated decking at the eve and nail a facia board to that killing out that corrugated edge.

You could try heating up a scrap piece of that corrugated metal and melt a matching groove in that pvc.

Attachments

• 20200829_144222.jpg
    20200829_144222.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
OK that's a good idea, it may be the best way too, it will eventually rain here ! (We had no monsoon this year).

Anyone else?

I'd cut it with a jigsaw or reciprocating saw. Four inch would be no problem, 11/2 inch would probably require putting the blade into the vice and snapping it off. A jigsaw just has a throw of an inch or so so if you broke the blade off a quarter of an inch below the skid plate when it was at the top of It's travel you could cut inch and a half pvc.
A zip cut disc in a 5 inch grinder would work but the dust and shavings would be obnoxious. You'd probably go through a lot of Dremel discs. Abrasive cutting probably Isn't the best bet.

would a length of water hose not be adequate to serve as an end cap for that piece of siding?
should be easier to cut/install than the PVC

That's the ticket. The hose could be long enough at one end to take rainwater to the ground.

Hi, here's the challnege.

I have a new chicken coop with a corrugated metal roof, e.g.

View attachment 67293328

The corrugated edge runs along the back of the roof of the coop and is about throat height - you can appreciate the risk if someone is distracted or careless.

We tried foam pipe insulation and these worked, the glue was fine and the edge was nicely cushioned but the weather (extreme sun/heat in Arizona, particularly this year) has dried the glue and the foam has begun to decay.

I want to now use pvc pipe, say 1.5" diameter but would love to cut a wavy slot along the edge (rather than just a straight line) to get a very neat fit and make it more secure overall.

I have a Dremel (that I have yet to use!) and wonder is there some way I can use a small power tool like this to cut a wavy line along the length of pipe like this?
You can do it by using a sharpie to trace the curves and then cut with a jig saw or a dremel but you will need patience and a steady hand. It might be easier and more practicle to make a straight notch that has a snug fit overall and foam in the gaps.
Or what i would do is build your frame out of the pvc and screw the metal down to the pvc with self tapping screws.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi, here's the challnege.

I have a new chicken coop with a corrugated metal roof, e.g.

View attachment 67293328

The corrugated edge runs along the back of the roof of the coop and is about throat height - you can appreciate the risk if someone is distracted or careless.

We tried foam pipe insulation and these worked, the glue was fine and the edge was nicely cushioned but the weather (extreme sun/heat in Arizona, particularly this year) has dried the glue and the foam has begun to decay.

I want to now use pvc pipe, say 1.5" diameter but would love to cut a wavy slot along the edge (rather than just a straight line) to get a very neat fit and make it more secure overall.

I have a Dremel (that I have yet to use!) and wonder is there some way I can use a small power tool like this to cut a wavy line along the length of pipe like this?

The corrugated metal roofing shown is (typically) 3/4" thick. Simply cut a 3/4" channel (slot?) down the length of the 1.5" pipe, slip it over the exposed end and use a few screws to keep it in place.

Another solution would be to use a couple of firring strips (1x2 boards) attached to each other making an L shape to cap the top (or bottom) and the exposed end of the metal roof - also easiy attached with a few screws.

Unless you are using the grey (riser) type of PVC, PVC is a lousy choice for a corrugated roof edge, it deteriorates from UV exposure and eventually gets dry and brittle, and then cracks. Corrugated isn't that sharp, but if you are worried you can use a grinder and knock down the edge and then sand it smooth. But if you just want a safe edge then get a piece redwood and box the edge of the corrugated with wood.

Back
Top Bottom