• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Any Christians for the Death Penalty?

Mixed View

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I'm sorry, but I don't see how a Christian can support the death penalty. Most Christians will say "Eye for an eye, and ear for an ear", but why would you depend on the old testament for punishment when in the old testament they would stone rape victims. Should we do that? No!

I believe in a two wrongs don't make a right. I think a life sentence is just as worse as the death penalty. How would you like to stay the rest of your life in a cell and the only thing you can do is think about what you've done in life.

Jesus said turn the other cheek. So lets not stoop to those murderers, rapist, and child molester's level by saying we believe in a pro-life society, but then become hypocrits and kill kill kill!

How can you support something where I deffinetly think racism has happened and innocent people have died. My dad always says, "If someone murdered me or one of your sisters you will change your mind." But then that would be out of hate and revenge. Then I say right back, "Hey you'll change your mind once someone you love is wrongfully acused of a crime and they get the death penalty" WAhahahahah!

So the death penalty has so many flaws, why would we have it. Why take the chance that maybe it is not our right to decide when someone dies? How is that anyone's right but God's?

Mixed View said:
I'm sorry, but I don't see how a Christian can support the death penalty. Most Christians will say "Eye for an eye, and ear for an ear", but why would you depend on the old testament for punishment when in the old testament they would stone rape victims. Should we do that? No!

I believe in a two wrongs don't make a right. I think a life sentence is just as worse as the death penalty. How would you like to stay the rest of your life in a cell and the only thing you can do is think about what you've done in life.

Jesus said turn the other cheek. So lets not stoop to those murderers, rapist, and child molester's level by saying we believe in a pro-life society, but then become hypocrits and kill kill kill!

How can you support something where I deffinetly think racism has happened and innocent people have died. My dad always says, "If someone murdered me or one of your sisters you will change your mind." But then that would be out of hate and revenge. Then I say right back, "Hey you'll change your mind once someone you love is wrongfully acused of a crime and they get the death penalty" WAhahahahah!

So the death penalty has so many flaws, why would we have it. Why take the chance that maybe it is not our right to decide when someone dies? How is that anyone's right but God's?

How would you like to stay the rest of your life in a cell and the only thing you can do is think about what you've done in life.

I am a Roman Catholic and strongly back the death penalty and in answer to your question just ask any convicted murderer or rapist on death row if he would rather have life in prison or be executed I think you will find they would all opt for life in prison........Where there is life in prison there is hope........

I don't understand how any christian can back the penalty when it says in the bible 'Thou shal not kill'. Yet chrisitans support war and support the death penalty. What is it with that?

I'm all about frying them bastards.

I don't understand how anyone can attempt to use someone's religion against them when they don't know what's going through their minds....

FinnMacCool said:
I don't understand how any christian can back the penalty when it says in the bible 'Thou shal not kill'. Yet chrisitans support war and support the death penalty. What is it with that?

It's the same duplistic quagmire we see from the left when they show pictures of hapless civilian victims in protest to the war, then turn around and abort their unborn kids. :2wave:

I am a Christian and I believe in death penalty. First of all say the verse that says you sould stone rape victims. Second are you a christian if so you should believe in the whole bible. Third the death penalty is to SAVE LIVES not to take them away it decreases the murder rate when there is death penalty even if you add the number of people you kill. Saying you will kill murders will make people think twice before killing the murders. God does not want to punish but prevent it from happening again. So oviously death penalty is the perfect line between to much and to little and is to protect people. Fourth here is some verses to prove you wrong

The first mention of the appropriate punishment for a murder is in Genesis 4:11-15.

"And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;...a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth. And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him."

The first mention of capital punishment as a penalty for murder is in Genesis 9:6:

"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

Leviticus 24:17

"If anyone takes the life of a human being, he must be put to death"

Also to any jews you should believe in death penaltys to because you olny believe in the old testament and thats where it says it.

It's the same duplistic quagmire we see from the left when they show pictures of hapless civilian victims in protest to the war, then turn around and abort their unborn kids.

Well you could certainly argue that but you might find many people would disagree with you there heh heh (though I usually don't like to argue on abortion because it really is rather a question of beliefs).

I am a Christian and I believe in death penalty. First of all say the verse that says you sould stone rape victims. Second are you a christian if so you should believe in the whole bible. Third the death penalty is to SAVE LIVES not to take them away it decreases the murder rate when there is death penalty even if you add the number of people you kill. Saying you will kill murders will make people think twice before killing the murders. God does not want to punish but prevent it from happening again. So oviously death penalty is the perfect line between to much and to little and is to protect people. Fourth here is some verses to prove you wrong

The first mention of the appropriate punishment for a murder is in Genesis 4:11-15.

"And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;...a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth. And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him."

The first mention of capital punishment as a penalty for murder is in Genesis 9:6:

"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

Leviticus 24:17

Also to any jews you should believe in death penaltys to because you olny believe in the old testament and thats where it says it.

Well if that is the case then your right. The death penalty is okay for christians lmao.

The reason Christian's can support the death penalty is because the Bible is in support of the death penalty.

In reference to the 10 commandments, there are two distinctly different Hebrew words translated "kill" in Exodus. One means "murder", the other means "kill". The difference is one is justified and the other is not. The same author of Exodus also justifies self defense.

The famous "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" statement was given as a guide for magistrates make sure that the punishement fit the crime. To do otherwise is not justice.

With that said, I think the death penalty requires a certian and limited criterion. If a Christian feels the criterion is unsatisfactory, then I think it is perfectly reasonable to be opposed to the death penalty.

conan

FinnMacCool said:

You liberals crack me up.........You have all the compassion in the world for murderers and rapists but when it comes to and innocent, defenseless babies who has committed no crime you say murder them........

Talk about hypocrisy.....:roll:

Last edited:
You liberals crack me up.........You have all the compassion in the world for murderers and rapists but when it comes to and innocent, defenseless babies who has committed no crime you say murder them........

Talk about hypocrisy.....

Yeah thats right. I hang out with rapists and murderers on weekends and I eat babies as a sacrifice to the god of Liberalism Michael "Fats" Moore, as you like to call him.

I actually don't really have a stance on the abortion issue. Look, lets just say my girlfriend got pregnant and wanted to abort. I wouldn't be happy about that at all. But it isn't really my choice to decide because it isn't my body and if the baby is unwanted, how are we supposed to offer the baby a happy life?

I just think the death penalty is kinda barbaric and quite unnecessary. Are we supposed to feel happier that the murderer is gonna die? It's kinda a grim victory really. It also is probably better punishment to let them stay in prison without parole if they commit a crime in which they feel no remorse for it. And what happens if hes found innocent? We can't bring him back from the dead so yeah. . .kinda awkward there. Our justice system is ****ed.

FinnMacCool said:
Yeah thats right. I hang out with rapists and murderers on weekends and I eat babies as a sacrifice to the god of Liberalism Michael "Fats" Moore, as you like to call him.

I actually don't really have a stance on the abortion issue. Look, lets just say my girlfriend got pregnant and wanted to abort. I wouldn't be happy about that at all. But it isn't really my choice to decide because it isn't my body and if the baby is unwanted, how are we supposed to offer the baby a happy life?

I just think the death penalty is kinda barbaric and quite unnecessary. Are we supposed to feel happier that the murderer is gonna die? It's kinda a grim victory really. It also is probably better punishment to let them stay in prison without parole if they commit a crime in which they feel no remorse for it. And what happens if hes found innocent? We can't bring him back from the dead so yeah. . .kinda awkward there. Our justice system is ****ed.

I never said anything like that..........

I just think the death penalty is kinda barbaric and quite unnecessary.

I wonder if you would have that same compassion if the murderer or rapist murdered and raped your wife, daughter, or mother.......

Or maybe if the murderer or rapist you care about so much went to prison, got out later and murdered or raped someone close to you.....

Let me sum up death penalty god loves people and doesn't want to kill them. So the death penalty decreases murder and saves lives. Also it said very clearly Levitcus 24:17

Also killing the murder doesn't mean you are murdering so it is ok to kill murders.

Now for abortion, jesus loves the little children so don't kill them. Also what would jesus do.

To clear things up I am not in any party, I don't like any of them.

I totally agree that there is no way an actual christian can support the death penalty, and anyone who claims to be a christian and supports the death penalty is obviously only claiming to be a christian for the moral superiority that calling yourself a christian brings.

The vatican is very firmly against the death penalty, so thus in the eyes of the vatican, those who support the death penalty are just as bad as us abortion rights supporters, because to the pope we're all murderers.

The bible is very clear on this issue. No man has enough moral constitution to be in a place to judge another. "He who is without sin cast the first stone", and "Thou shall not kill", it's really not vague on the issue

And an example of an innocent killed because of the death penalty: Jesus.

Uhhh...actually I'm christian and I support the death penalty 100%. Do you know how many people would rather live their whole life in a prison cell than be executed? They get what they deserve.

Ryuken said:
Uhhh...actually I'm christian and I support the death penalty 100%. Do you know how many people would rather live their whole life in a prison cell than be executed? They get what they deserve.
But what places any of us in the position to condemn someone to death? And then there are logical flaws in the death penalty, for one, we know that our justice system is flawed, so why in the **** would anyone believe it to be a good idea to make our decisions irreversible, and also there's the bias against the poor, since if you're OJ you'll get off, but if you're T-mart living at the marathon station you won't, and then when it comes to christianity, if you claim to be a christian and support the death penalty, in best case scenario you could say that this is just an aspect of your belief that is contrary to God's law, like if I honestly believed that God gave a **** whether or not I have premarital sex, I'd probably still continue to do it, and just acknowledge that it's a sin, which is the same as support of the death penalty, a sin.

I wonder if you would have that same compassion if the murderer or rapist murdered and raped your wife, daughter, or mother.......

Or maybe if the murderer or rapist you care about so much went to prison, got out later and murdered or raped someone close to you.....

If that ever happens to me, I'll get back to you. k?

galenrox said:
But what places any of us in the position to condemn someone to death? And then there are logical flaws in the death penalty, for one, we know that our justice system is flawed, so why in the **** would anyone believe it to be a good idea to make our decisions irreversible, and also there's the bias against the poor, since if you're OJ you'll get off, but if you're T-mart living at the marathon station you won't, and then when it comes to christianity, if you claim to be a christian and support the death penalty, in best case scenario you could say that this is just an aspect of your belief that is contrary to God's law, like if I honestly believed that God gave a **** whether or not I have premarital sex, I'd probably still continue to do it, and just acknowledge that it's a sin, which is the same as support of the death penalty, a sin.

Listen, how can you be Christian and support abortion. So maybe you are supporting sin. The bible says "I have knit you in your mother's womb" and "I've loved you before you were born" So therefore it is a life. So make sure you the whole bible and not just some of it.

I believe the death penalty is very flawed. Maybe not a sin, but something that has caused innocent people death and maybe it is a sin. So why take that chance?

galenrox said:
I totally agree that there is no way an actual christian can support the death penalty, and anyone who claims to be a christian and supports the death penalty is obviously only claiming to be a christian for the moral superiority that calling yourself a christian brings.

The vatican is very firmly against the death penalty, so thus in the eyes of the vatican, those who support the death penalty are just as bad as us abortion rights supporters, because to the pope we're all murderers.

The bible is very clear on this issue. No man has enough moral constitution to be in a place to judge another. "He who is without sin cast the first stone", and "Thou shall not kill", it's really not vague on the issue

And an example of an innocent killed because of the death penalty: Jesus.

There is a huge difference between your analogy of the Death Penalty and murder in the womb...........

When it comes to the death penalty you are punishing someone who has committed a horrendous crime against another person......

When it come to abortion or murder in the womb you are punishing and innocent, defenseless baby who has committed no crime........

The RCC is against the taking of lefe in all cases, but they are firmly against murder in the womb (even to with holding sacraments for those that advocate it) There is no restriction for those who carry out the principles of Justice in the prosecuting of the death penalty.......

The RCC is also against all wars but they believe some are just.........

Mixed View said:
Listen, how can you be Christian and support abortion. So maybe you are supporting sin. The bible says "I have knit you in your mother's womb" and "I've loved you before you were born" So therefore it is a life. So make sure you the whole bible and not just some of it.

I believe the death penalty is very flawed. Maybe not a sin, but something that has caused innocent people death and maybe it is a sin. So why take that chance?
To a degree I'd guess it would be interpretation of those quotes. I believe God knows what's gonna happen, and thus he would know who's gonna be born. And I don't like abortion, I just support the rights. I think that a woman finding out that she's pregnant SHOULD be the happiest moment in a couple's life, but then in reality a lot of times it's not, and I think God understands. But yeah, I personally don't interpret those quotes as proof that God believes life begins at conception, I think those are instead meant to be statements of God's uneding love, and trying to show to what degree this love goes, that God loves us before we exist.

Navy Pride said:
There is a huge difference between your analogy of the Death Penalty and murder in the womb...........

When it comes to the death penalty you are punishing someone who has committed a horrendous crime against another person......

When it come to abortion or murder in the womb you are punishing and innocent, defenseless baby who has committed no crime........

The RCC is against the taking of lefe in all cases, but they are firmly against murder in the womb (even to with holding sacraments for those that advocate it) There is no restriction for those who carry out the principles of Justice in the prosecuting of the death penalty.......

The RCC is also against all wars but they believe some are just.........
Yes, there is a difference. The death penalty is killing someone that we can all agree is a person.
And I feel free in supporting abortion, since I, for one, don't recognize the pope. I think that the pope should be respected as someone who's closer to God than myself, but I'm anglican, so thus whether or not I agree with him isn't that big of a deal for me.
The same doesn't apply for you, and here's the late Pope John Paul II's statement on the death penalty:
"This is the context in which to place the problem of the death penalty. On this matter there is a growing tendency, both in the Church and in civil society, to demand that it be applied in a very limited way or even that it be abolished completely. The problem must be viewed in the context of a system of penal justice ever more in line with human dignity and thus, in the end, with God's plan for man and society. The primary purpose of the punishment which society inflicts is "to redress the disorder caused by the offence."(46) Public authority must redress the violation of personal and social rights by imposing on the offender an adequate punishment for the crime, as a condition for the offender to regain the exercise of his or her freedom. In this way authority also fulfills the purpose of defending public order and ensuring people's safety, while at the same time offering the offender an incentive and help to change his or her behaviour and be rehabilitated.(47)"
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/angel/procon/popestate.html

I find it interesting how you only invoke your faith on issues that you already agree with, but view it as irrelevent on issues where you differ from the church, i.e. the war and the death penalty.

galenrox said:
To a degree I'd guess it would be interpretation of those quotes. I believe God knows what's gonna happen, and thus he would know who's gonna be born. And I don't like abortion, I just support the rights. I think that a woman finding out that she's pregnant SHOULD be the happiest moment in a couple's life, but then in reality a lot of times it's not, and I think God understands. But yeah, I personally don't interpret those quotes as proof that God believes life begins at conception, I think those are instead meant to be statements of God's uneding love, and trying to show to what degree this love goes, that God loves us before we exist.

It is amazing that you can dismiss 40,000,000 murders in the womb so easily and you think God does not care for all those deaths........I guess it makes you sleep better at night...........Have you ever for 1 minute in your lefe ever considered you might be wrong about what God thinks? If I am wrong, well it its no harm no foul, if your wrong......well I think you get my gist........

galenrox said:
Yes, there is a difference. The death penalty is killing someone that we can all agree is a person.
And I feel free in supporting abortion, since I, for one, don't recognize the pope. I think that the pope should be respected as someone who's closer to God than myself, but I'm anglican, so thus whether or not I agree with him isn't that big of a deal for me.
The same doesn't apply for you, and here's the late Pope John Paul II's statement on the death penalty:
"This is the context in which to place the problem of the death penalty. On this matter there is a growing tendency, both in the Church and in civil society, to demand that it be applied in a very limited way or even that it be abolished completely. The problem must be viewed in the context of a system of penal justice ever more in line with human dignity and thus, in the end, with God's plan for man and society. The primary purpose of the punishment which society inflicts is "to redress the disorder caused by the offence."(46) Public authority must redress the violation of personal and social rights by imposing on the offender an adequate punishment for the crime, as a condition for the offender to regain the exercise of his or her freedom. In this way authority also fulfills the purpose of defending public order and ensuring people's safety, while at the same time offering the offender an incentive and help to change his or her behaviour and be rehabilitated.(47)"

I find it interesting how you only invoke your faith on issues that you already agree with, but view it as irrelevent on issues where you differ from the church, i.e. the war and the death penalty.

I was not aware that the Anglican church approved of murder in the womb.My bad.......

If you can't see the difference in applying justice to a murderer or rapist who has not only snuffed out the life of and innocent victum in a horrible way and ruined the life of all people near to him or her and the murder of and innocent baby in the womb who has committed no crime and only wants the same right to life that you have then I feel sorry for you......

Although I am a Roman Catholic both situtations have very little to do with my religeous beliefs...........Its a matter of justice for me......

galenrox said:

Please explain to me why you oppose the death penalty?
The Bible doesn't say anything strictly against the death penalty. It actually says some stuff for it.
The Bible aslo doesn't say stuff on abortion. But nothing in the Bible, NOTHING, says anything about supporting abortion or of the killing of the baby in the womb. And if God loved us before we were even born why wouldn't he care if we got murdered. He does love us unconditionally and knows us by name, so why take the chance of having an abortion if it might be murder?

I was not aware that the Anglican church approved of murder in the womb.My bad.......

If you can't see the difference in applying justice to a murderer or rapist who has not only snuffed out the life of and innocent victum in a horrible way and ruined the life of all people near to him or her and the murder of and innocent baby in the womb who has committed no crime and only wants the same right to life that you have then I feel sorry for you......

Although I am a Roman Catholic both situtations have very little to do with my religeous beliefs...........Its a matter of justice for me......

Then why be Roman Catholic? Perhaps I am mistaken but Roman Catholics follow the pope as their leader and the pope is supposedly always right on everything he says so if that is true then how can you truly call yourself a roman catholic if you disagree with him?

But then again, my father was a catholic (was) and he was pretty liberal so go figure.

Back
Top Bottom