• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any book/history pros?

Doppelgangirl

Dreaming of the ‘90’s
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hey everyone,

So I recently came across this for work. It’s a 1st printing/first English translation, and I have not found this particular dust jacket anywhere.

I think the “profits to refugee children” is the best part… the West got a 🖕in there, small comfort, but it did make me smile a bit.

Long story short, we can’t find any references for this book in this particular state, but it’s authentic.

Out of all of DP, I’m pretty sure someone collects this sort of thing— rare books, WW 2 memorabilia. I’ve already gotten to know it’s a sensitive topic—I have to be careful with potential clients in how it’s presented. I was admonished by the local bookstore, but he was understanding and pretty nice after I explained.

But why did I have to explain? Why should my brain have gone there at all?

I think this shop thought it was a White Nationalism endorsement. I was just thinking of historical value. We mended fences, but it still felt weird.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I’m attaching a pic of the dust jacket….help me out, DP!

Attachments

• 7EDF7C47-BB6F-45CF-9C18-F0B1F763E346.jpeg
    7EDF7C47-BB6F-45CF-9C18-F0B1F763E346.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 3
Hey everyone,

So I recently came across this for work. It’s a 1st printing/first English translation, and I have not found this particular dust jacket anywhere.

I think the “profits to refugee children” is the best part… the West got a 🖕in there, small comfort, but it did make me smile a bit.

Long story short, we can’t find any references for this book in this particular state, but it’s authentic.

Out of all of DP, I’m pretty sure someone collects this sort of thing— rare books, WW 2 memorabilia. I’ve already gotten to know it’s a sensitive topic—I have to be careful with potential clients in how it’s presented. I was admonished by the local bookstore, but he was understanding and pretty nice after I explained.

But why did I have to explain? Why should my brain have gone there at all?

I think this shop thought it was a White Nationalism endorsement. I was just thinking of historical value. We mended fences, but it still felt weird.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I’m attaching a pic of the dust jacket….help me out, DP!
It doesn't look right. The original dust cover looked like this:
MK.jpg

Looks like a Reynal & Hitchcock first edition 1939 dust jacket. Just judging by your picture it looks like poor condition but, with the rest of the book, would still sell for several hundred dollars.

Doppelgangirl:

Have a look here.

It could be an English US first edition from 1939, but it's not a first edition in German from 1925.

The original 1925 cover was like this:

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
As to why you're experiencing blowback, the book is infamous. That's why people react so strongly. There are about 35 million reasons this book elicits such strong and usually negative reactions and all those reasons died between 1924 and 1945 inclusive.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Not the official first English translation
Doppelgangirl:

Have a look here.

It could be an English US first edition from 1939, but it's not a first edition in German from 1925.

The original 1925 cover was like this:

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Thanks for the heads up, I know it's not a "true" first edition but it is the first English translation. There's a whole disclaimer in the front basically saying "we don't agree with these ideas but felt it was important to print."

I need to find my notes... the more I learn about what makes a book valuable or rare has been a learning experience. It's going okay so far and I am thrilled people do this sort of thing for a living because I just found it fun with the history/research.

I'm happier than a pig in ****, honestly.

As to why you're experiencing blowback, the book is infamous. That's why people react so strongly. There are about 35 million reasons this book elicits such strong and usually negative reactions and all those reasons died between 1924 and 1945 inclusive.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Absolutely agree. I just hadn't considered it at first and was kind of surprised I had to "check myself" that way. I'm a WF so it makes sense now. But I'm also just a history lover and so was the owner of the estate this item came from.

It was humbling, but I live and learn

Back
Top Bottom