• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any advice on a generator and the cost?

Hari Seldon

Stable Genius
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I figured I would pick the brain of my fellow DP posters. Got slammed by the latest storm. Power out for over 2 days, $500 to replace the rear gutter (blew on to the roof). Looking to get a generator and I know nothing about them. 2200 square ft house but I need the well and well mate to be hooked up or we have no water. A coworker said a 5000 watt with an outlet from the box would do. Approx $800 for the outlet plus the cost of the generator. Don't know how accurate that is. Any help, advice would be appreciated. Thanks

What part of NY are you in? If you're anywhere near Schenectady I know the perfect guy for you.

I figured I would pick the brain of my fellow DP posters. Got slammed by the latest storm. Power out for over 2 days, $500 to replace the rear gutter (blew on to the roof). Looking to get a generator and I know nothing about them. 2200 square ft house but I need the well and well mate to be hooked up or we have no water. A coworker said a 5000 watt with an outlet from the box would do. Approx $800 for the outlet plus the cost of the generator. Don't know how accurate that is. Any help, advice would be appreciated. Thanks

How often are you w/o power and for how long?

A whole house generator comes with another set of problems. Maintenance and such. We experienced a three or four day outage many year ago and we called the guy who does the HVAC and electric in our house. We were all set up to have a whole house system set-up at a cost of about 6K. Well our guy dragged his feet and he called back after about 18 months and said he was ready for the install. We had had no outages of consequence in the time frame and I begged off. The missus needs med refrigerated, so i bought a hHonda unit to keep the icebox and a few lights powered. An earlier version of this guy. I have replaced the carb and battery twice in about ten years. They need to be run periodically. Good luck and get some more advice....

A whole house generator comes with another set of problems. Maintenance and such. We experienced a three or four day outage many year ago and we called the guy who does the HVAC and electric in our house. We were all set up to have a whole house system set-up at a cost of about 6K. Well our guy dragged his feet and he called back after about 18 months and said he was ready for the install. We had had no outages of consequence in the time frame and I begged off. The missus needs med refrigerated, so i bought a hHonda unit to keep the icebox and a few lights powered. An earlier version of this guy. I have replaced the carb and battery twice in about ten years. They need to be run periodically. Good luck and get some more advice....

This was the worst in 19 years. I can deal with it but my wife was going ballistic especially since she is working full time from home. Its worth 5k to please the missus. Thanks.

What part of NY are you in? If you're anywhere near Schenectady I know the perfect guy for you.

That's about 2 hours up the thruway. Near my cousin actually.

Do you have a 220 plug from a dryer or oven or such you can plug a gas generator into that you can live without while the power is out?

Do you have a 220 plug from a dryer or oven or such you can plug a gas generator into that you can live without while the power is out?

Yes, electric washer and dryer and stove. I also have solar but its hooked up to the grid so no help during an outage.

We were just out for two days from Monday's derecho.
We went out-of-county to get the last portable unit a store had, a 1,700 watt Powermate I call 'little boy'.
700 watts freezer, 700 watts fridge, 100 or lower watts for small devices like the computer, CPAP, fan, and iPhone charger.
Switching out devices can also be done with a portable generator.

He could get a larger portable unit like my neighbors at 5,500 watts.
An electrical strip could run one lead to his well and the other to his house.
He needs to compare the wattage of these portables to his total needs.

Attach one device at a time due to starting wattage being more than running wattage.

Going anecdotally by a few people that I've run across that has them, they (generators) aren't always reliable. You've got to be very regular with the maintenance & especially the battery!

But that being said, I too was considering one. Until I started talking to people and hearing their stories.

Wow that is a great price for 9000 watts. Thanks
Yeah, but Harbor Freight. I'd research that puppy, firstly!

----

Wait? Are you looking for an external portable generator? Or one integrated into your home's electrical system, like a Genrac? There's a huge difference in pricing and functionality between the two trypes.

I have a 15,000 and 3500 watt, the 3500 will run my shop heater along with lights, maybe some tools, the 15K watt will run most of my home approximately 1800 sq feet. Just remember what is the peek draw of all the appliances you want to run and add it up, then remember that when they give run times they are thinking half that amount, so while it would be rare to run at full peek draw you have to take it into account. Learned the lesson of having generators by being iced in for over a week without power, the saving grace was our wood burning stove I had installed that year and my brother in law bringing out a 15k generator from his business after four days. I now keep both generators ready to go and fresh fuel to go for at least a week. There are whole home systems out there, think 5 grand or more and they will kick in automatically but will also require a butane tank which you basically rent from the fuel supplier. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Yes, electric washer and dryer and stove. I also have solar but its hooked up to the grid so no help during an outage.

Never mind. I was going to suggest backfeeding in which case getting the amps right is more important, but if you have grid tied solar in the system you probably really need to be talking to an electrician.

----

Wait? Are you looking for an external portable generator? Or one integrated into your home's electrical system, like a Genrac? There's a huge difference in pricing and functionality between the two trypes.

Definitely want it hooked into the box for my well and well mate. 9000 watts would do it.

I have a 15,000 and 3500 watt, the 3500 will run my shop heater along with lights, maybe some tools, the 15K watt will run most of my home approximately 1800 sq feet. Just remember what is the peek draw of all the appliances you want to run and add it up, then remember that when they give run times they are thinking half that amount, so while it would be rare to run at full peek draw you have to take it into account. Learned the lesson of having generators by being iced in for over a week without power, the saving grace was our wood burning stove I had installed that year and my brother in law bringing out a 15k generator from his business after four days. I now keep both generators ready to go and fresh fuel to go for at least a week. There are whole home systems out there, think 5 grand or more and they will kick in automatically but will also require a butane tank which you basically rent from the fuel supplier. Any other questions feel free to ask.

I would want it for my oil heat system as well but the pellet stove at a minimum. Thanks Can you keep stabilizer in the fuel tank? The guy who does my mower and snow blower swears by seafoam and it keeps it perfectly.

----

They have a store 30 minutes from my house. I think I will check them out.

I have used the portable generators and they are a real hassle between fuel, noise, and maintenance. Plus if you are in the country and are down for several days they are not practical. Whole house are the way to go and should be professionally installed. You want it to come on automatically and power your house. You have water, lights, refrigerator, and it would be nice if the heating an AC worked.

If you are already on propane it can run off your propane tank. No messing with gasoline of diesel. If your in the country it is almost a necessity. The cities get hooked up first and then they get around to the rural and country.

I have had lots of problems with the cheap portable generators. You got watch voltage spikes damaging electronics on most new appliances.

I would want it for my oil heat system as well but the pellet stove at a minimum. Thanks Can you keep stabilizer in the fuel tank? The guy who does my mower and snow blower swears by seafoam and it keeps it perfectly.

Be careful with these new furnaces. They have control boards that may not work with generators. Some of those control boards are several hundred dollars.

Should work so long as you know your peek power draw, otherwise something has to be given up. Yes, I use stabilizer during the winter, during the warm months I have other tools that need fuel and hence I run through it and refill as needed, always trying to keep at least 3/4ths full. Have not tried any other methods I would do some research on it before using it, seen several alternatives for many applications, when you read up you find they have issues of their own, just do your homework.

----

Exactly. If I lived in the country or a rural area I would have to invest in the better integrated. I am planning on retiring and building a home in the country and I will have it specked right in to the price of the home. We have become to dependent on electricity.

Be careful with these new furnaces. They have control boards that may not work with generators. Some of those control boards are several hundred dollars.

If you add an inverter it wont be an issue.

Genrac has models that run on natural gas, FWIW. No idea on how well it works, but it came-up in my research when I was considering buying. But that's the option I was looking at.

Definitely want it hooked into the box for my well and well mate. 9000 watts would do it.

we have a natural gas one and the power does go out at least 3or4 times a year, one time severalears ago it was out 12 days
and if we had not had it we would have lost a lot of stuff
they can be well worth the cost
Have a nice night

Back
Top Bottom