• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Any advice on a generator and the cost?

Be careful with the natural gas while it sounds like and generally is a good idea, that is a service and depending on the nature of the outage you may be well served with a multi fuel unit that can take diesel or propane in addition to natural gas.
Yeah, yours are good points. I like the less hassle of natural gas, but you are right: I'd be dependent upon my gas company.

You find you like your neighbors better when there is space between you.
I'm sure. Works that way with family sometimes, too! :2razz:

I run a solar system that I moved from my old place in California. I run grid tied with a battery wall equivalent lots of used lead agm group 31 batteries and 17,500 kilowatts of solar panels (summer) and a heat powered generator system run from a combo of vacuum thermal and waste heat from a cogen micro turbine plant if it runs (winter). I am for all practical purposes grid independent. Solar works best if you can generate excess capacity to store for later use. Most everything except the vacuum tube panels and the solar panels with micro inverters, are used. I got plenty of power for the shop and home.
Sounds like quite a project, but I suspect the feeling of independence is pretty damn satisfying.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

I figured I would pick the brain of my fellow DP posters. Got slammed by the latest storm. Power out for over 2 days, $500 to replace the rear gutter (blew on to the roof). Looking to get a generator and I know nothing about them. 2200 square ft house but I need the well and well mate to be hooked up or we have no water. A coworker said a 5000 watt with an outlet from the box would do. Approx $800 for the outlet plus the cost of the generator. Don't know how accurate that is. Any help, advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I am a Licensed Master Electrician - but I am not in your region so what I am about to tell you will have some variance. I sell and install 3 or 4 permanent generator systems every year.

Permanent System
You will spend $15k or more for a proper permanent install (permits, electrician, generator, plumbing, excavation, delivery, taxes).
You will have maintenance expenses similar to your vehicle (filters, oil, etc.) on an annual basis. They will be less because you don't have tires or brakes to deal with and you use it less.
I would not have anyone other than a licensed professional install such a system, and I would check references and local ordinances first. This is not a handyman project - there are advanced engineering level calculations to be made.
Get at least 3 bids from contractors - take the middle bid, not the lowest one. Make sure the bids are apple to apple (i.e. one company didn't exclude permits).
I would advise that you stay away from Generac - they are the low end generator product. Stick with a Kohler or Cummins. The brand name units produce better quality electricity. In the modern world of electronics, this matters quite a bit.

Portable System
You can get a portable unit hookup in the $5k range. Look for a portable generator with "Inverter Generator" in the description. These units provide cleaner power for electronics, and are more than worth the increased cost.
You must properly wire such a system with a receptacle and a transfer panel. If you do this part wrong you can kill some poor electrician working on the failed line upstream by backfeeding the entire neighborhood. AC electricity does not flow in only 1 direction. Remember that you are going to use this system in an emergency - having a unit that forces you to connect it properly is safer in a time of need.
You will have to store fuel, you need to perform periodic maintenance like you would for a lawnmower, and you will need to have a cord.
And you get the joy of hooking up the unit in the middle of the hurricane/blizzard. Fun.

The big questions are - what do you want to power? And for how long? And what is your budget? And what kind of hassles do you want to put up with?

do you want to power fridge, micro, gas fired furnace, TV, some lights? You can get away with a portable 5KW unit.
Do you have electric heat or want to run a window AC unit plus the above items? You need a 10KW minimum unit.
Do you want to backup power your house without any restrictions? 30KW permanent mounted unit minimum.

I have never used a generator so I have to ask some really stupid questions. If I want to use it for my home, how does the generator hook up to the appliances I want to backup? Do you run extension cords from each one to it or does my electrical box or meter have a plug for a generator to use? Also, how do you keep the power from going upstream instead of in the house. Thanks in advance.

I have never used a generator so I have to ask some really stupid questions. If I want to use it for my home, how does the generator hook up to the appliances I want to backup? Do you run extension cords from each one to it or does my electrical box or meter have a plug for a generator to use? Also, how do you keep the power from going upstream instead of in the house. Thanks in advance.

If you get the “whole house” type of generator, they will hook it up to your service panel. The higher end ones will self start on a timetable to keep the oil and things flowing. There are maintenance requirements. Depending upon the capacity, you can run the entire house while the service is interrupted. The type I hi-lighted is for the shorter outages, you can run the refrigerator and keep the phones charged and maybe a light or two.

I am a Licensed Master Electrician - but I am not in your region so what I am about to tell you will have some variance. I sell and install 3 or 4 permanent generator systems every year.

Permanent System
You will spend $15k or more for a proper permanent install (permits, electrician, generator, plumbing, excavation, delivery, taxes).
You will have maintenance expenses similar to your vehicle (filters, oil, etc.) on an annual basis. They will be less because you don't have tires or brakes to deal with and you use it less.
I would not have anyone other than a licensed professional install such a system, and I would check references and local ordinances first. This is not a handyman project - there are advanced engineering level calculations to be made.
Get at least 3 bids from contractors - take the middle bid, not the lowest one. Make sure the bids are apple to apple (i.e. one company didn't exclude permits).
I would advise that you stay away from Generac - they are the low end generator product. Stick with a Kohler or Cummins. The brand name units produce better quality electricity. In the modern world of electronics, this matters quite a bit.

Portable System
You can get a portable unit hookup in the $5k range. Look for a portable generator with "Inverter Generator" in the description. These units provide cleaner power for electronics, and are more than worth the increased cost.
You must properly wire such a system with a receptacle and a transfer panel. If you do this part wrong you can kill some poor electrician working on the failed line upstream by backfeeding the entire neighborhood. AC electricity does not flow in only 1 direction. Remember that you are going to use this system in an emergency - having a unit that forces you to connect it properly is safer in a time of need.
You will have to store fuel, you need to perform periodic maintenance like you would for a lawnmower, and you will need to have a cord.
And you get the joy of hooking up the unit in the middle of the hurricane/blizzard. Fun.

The big questions are - what do you want to power? And for how long? And what is your budget? And what kind of hassles do you want to put up with?

do you want to power fridge, micro, gas fired furnace, TV, some lights? You can get away with a portable 5KW unit.
Do you have electric heat or want to run a window AC unit plus the above items? You need a 10KW minimum unit.
Do you want to backup power your house without any restrictions? 30KW permanent mounted unit minimum.
Thank you. I am getting a quote from a local company.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Permanent System

Portable System

Is a propane or gas generator better? Probably go for a really good portable. Bought a $100 100 foot cord to hook in to my neighbors generator this time around.

Is a propane or gas generator better? Probably go for a really good portable. Bought a $100 100 foot cord to hook in to my neighbors generator this time around.

I would suggest that it is not a matter of "better" but rather what kind of fuel do you have and is available in a time of need? Which is easier to store and what do you feel comfortable storing? Either will work as long as the unit is rated for that fuel. I have seen units that are dual fuel rated, but they are a few more bucks.

Propane does have restrictions at altitude, but in NY I don't think that is a major concern.

Back
Top Bottom