• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Antimaskers are worse than antivaxxers

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I've remarked several times on these forums equating antimaskers to antivaxxers. We have forums poster apdst to thank for this, as he's the one who introduced me to the term "antimasker." Made the connection easy. But thinking over it some more, I've realized I was wrong. Antimaskers are much, much worse than antivaxxers.

While they're dumb, ignorant, gullible, and wrong, antivaxxers have a motive that's easy to understand. They're afraid of harming their children via vaccination. This fear is based on the usual nonsense that drives most conspiracy theories. The "worst case scenario" they are afraid of if their ideas are correct is their child having a severe allergic reaction, a dangerous autoimmune response, or autism. They're not willing to try and protect the public out of fear of that harm. They're willing to risk infecting their own child with a serious disease, and potentially spread that disease to others who can't or wont be protected.

Meanwhile, antimaskers. Antimaskers are not willing to try and protect the public out of fear of... mild discomfort. Their worst case scenario if their ideas are correct is wearing an unnecessary mask at Target. They're willing to risk infecting everybody they encounter. And everyone those people encounter. The public, the troops, their elected officials, their favorite sports teams, even their own children. Sure, COVID-19 isn't as serious at an individual level as a Measles infection, but it still can kill you. Or your wife. Or your grandparents. Or your neighbor.

This motive is not easy to understand. If you cared about your country, you'd be willing to risk a mild inconvenience to protect it.

Does this little rant apply to the protesters and rioters from the last 3 to 4 weeks?

There was this one idiot at a town hall meeting who screamed,

"YOU CAN"T MUZZLE ME!!!!"

They're not willing to try and protect the public out of fear of that harm.

Won't they only infect other people who aren't wearing masks? If you're wearing a mask, what difference does it make to you if other people don't?

I've remarked several times on these forums equating antimaskers to antivaxxers. We have forums poster apdst to thank for this, as he's the one who introduced me to the term "antimasker." Made the connection easy. But thinking over it some more, I've realized I was wrong. Antimaskers are much, much worse than antivaxxers.

While they're dumb, ignorant, gullible, and wrong, antivaxxers have a motive that's easy to understand. They're afraid of harming their children via vaccination. This fear is based on the usual nonsense that drives most conspiracy theories. The "worst case scenario" they are afraid of if their ideas are correct is their child having a severe allergic reaction, a dangerous autoimmune response, or autism. They're not willing to try and protect the public out of fear of that harm. They're willing to risk infecting their own child with a serious disease, and potentially spread that disease to others who can't or wont be protected.

Meanwhile, antimaskers. Antimaskers are not willing to try and protect the public out of fear of... mild discomfort. Their worst case scenario if their ideas are correct is wearing an unnecessary mask at Target. They're willing to risk infecting everybody they encounter. And everyone those people encounter. The public, the troops, their elected officials, their favorite sports teams, even their own children. Sure, COVID-19 isn't as serious at an individual level as a Measles infection, but it still can kill you. Or your wife. Or your grandparents. Or your neighbor.

This motive is not easy to understand. If you cared about your country, you'd be willing to risk a mild inconvenience to protect it.

No they are not.

Anti-vaccination fanatics end up killing their children, specifically, those in their care as well as other children. People who do not wear masks end up killing the elderly.

I do not wish to offend this forum's main demographic, but child killers are always worse than those who kill the elderly, whatever their motivations.

Last edited:
Won't they only infect other people who aren't wearing masks? If you're wearing a mask, what difference does it make to you if other people don't?

Masks don't protect the wearers from getting infected by other people. They protect other people from getting infected by the mask wearer. It's no different than covering your mouth when you sneeze. You don't to it to keep from getting sick, you do it to keep others from getting sick in case you are. And because you aren't an ignorant child with no sense of manners or social etiquette.

Does this little rant apply to the protesters and rioters from the last 3 to 4 weeks?

People protesting in close proximity without masks were causing harm, yes. How much exactly is hard to say.

No they are not.

Anti-vaccination fanatics end up killing their children, specifically, those in their care as well as other children. People who do not wear masks end up killing the elderly.

I do not wish to offend this forum's main demographic, but child killers are always worse than those who kill the elderly, whatever their motivations.

Children also die from COVID-19, and not everyone who goes unvaccinated gets infected as a child.

Even more reason to not be an idiot, and wear them.

If right wingers need some better reason than "it's to protect you and your family," just point out that the more Americans get infected, the more troops will get infected. How many military units or vessels currently have degraded combat capacity due to infections?

I think you mean the anti-mask position is worse than the anti-vax position. It's hard for the anti-mask person to be worse when it's so much the same person with both views.

I think you mean the anti-mask position is worse than the anti-vax position. It's hard for the anti-mask person to be worse when it's so much the same person with both views.

There probably is a fair bit of overlap, but antivax isn't really specific to political ideologies the way antimask is.

imageedit-1-6792798653.gif

Have you missed the reason to wear a mask? It's to keep YOUR droplets out of the public air.

This logic would only work if you believe masks are perfect protection for either party.

Do you believe this?

So childish to defend your bad behavior by pointing out others bad behavior.

IDK, I think it's a similar mentality, my anti-vax cousin also is anti-mask. I don't know how she's getting her groceries, as her area probably has the mask rule going on.

The difference I see is that anti-vax hasn't been politicized by one party over the other, as much as masks seem to have.

It is funny hearing someone call themselves an alpha, and then cry about having to wear a mask because it makes them uncomfortable.

You hear about the Starbucks barista that refused to serve a woman who wasn't wearing a mask; she verbally abused him for about five minutes. The other patrons gave him huge tips and a Go Fund Me page was started - as of last night the total is into six figures. :eek:

It applies to the protesters who refused to put on a mask.
Rioters and looters are entirely different problem for which we have statutes and criminal courts.

You hear about the Starbucks barista that refused to serve a woman who wasn't wearing a mask; she verbally abused him for about five minutes. The other patrons gave him huge tips and a Go Fund Me page was started - as of last night the total is into six figures. :eek:

That's awesome.

I do not know of anyone (aside from certain religious sects) who is opposed to vaccines. What seems to be the case in that some people have concerns about the safety or necessity of certain vaccines, and receive only scorn and ridicule but never an explanation for why they're wrong.

As for masks, it's not an issue of mild discomfort. The issue is that some people don't want to participate in paranoid hysteria. It's a matter of principle so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Research Determines Genetics Not Real

Back
Top Bottom