• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Antibody finding could lead to AIDS vaccine

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Antibody finding could lead to AIDS vaccine - The Globe and Mail

Researchers have discovered antibodies that can protect against a wide range of AIDS viruses and said they may be able to use them to design a vaccine against the fatal and incurable virus.

The bodies of some people make these immune system proteins after they are infected with the AIDS virus, when it is too late for them to do much good. But a properly designed vaccine might help the body make them much sooner, the researchers reported in Friday’s issue of the journal Science.

“I am more optimistic about an AIDS vaccine at this point in time than I have been probably in the last 10 years,” Gary Nabel of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who led the study, said in a telephone interview.

Two of the antibodies can attach to and neutralize 90 percent of the various mutations of the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS, Dr. Nabel said.

An issue close to my heart given my land of birth has the highest rate in the world.

A positive development, not gonna get excited yet, but this is the best news I've heard in awhile.

Antibody finding could lead to AIDS vaccine - The Globe and Mail

An issue close to my heart given my land of birth has the highest rate in the world.

A positive development, not gonna get excited yet, but this is the best news I've heard in awhile.
I agree. From what I have heard earlier on the ABC news break they think about 90% of the viral strains can be controlled or eliminated, I, like you am hoping for the best of this news but keeping fingers crossed. It would be one hell of a medical advancement if this pans out.

i thought they already had a cure for it, ain't all you have to do is have sex with a virgin?

but in all seriousness, this is great news.

This is about the 30th "possible cure" for AIDS I've seen over the years but I'm still crossing my fingers so hard they're about to break. GO SCIENCE GO!

This is about the 30th "possible cure" for AIDS I've seen over the years but I'm still crossing my fingers so hard they're about to break. GO SCIENCE GO!

That's why I'm not jumping out my seat, we hear of this once every few years. I just really hope this one is legit... my people desperately need it. However regardless of whether it's legit or not, I hope it doesn't fall into the hands of Drug Companies who will **** Africa around for money for it.

Back
Top Bottom