• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Anti-War Protests Target Wounded at Army Hospital

Stinger

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Support the Protestors?

ANTI-WAR PROTESTERS TARGET WOUNDED AT ARMY HOSPITAL
Wed Aug 2005 24 21:20:05 ET

Anti-war protestors besieged wounded and disabled soldiers at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C, a new web report will claim!

CNSNews.com is planning to run an expose on Thursday featuring interviews with both protestors and veterans, as well as shots of protest signs with slogans like “Maimed for a Lie.”

The conservative outlet will post video evidence of the wounded veterans being taunted by protesters, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Developing late...

So this is where the protest are headed?

Re: Support the Protestors?

Oy. There's always one or two idiots who have to screw it up for everyone else.

It reminds me of how Fred Phelps and co. recently held an anti-gay protest at the funeral of a straight soldier. WTF?! Arseholes.

Washington (CNSNews.com) - The Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., the current home of hundreds of wounded veterans from the war in Iraq, has been the target of weekly anti-war demonstrations since March. The protesters hold signs that read "Maimed for Lies" and "Enlist here and die for Halliburton."

Among the props used by the protesters are mock caskets, lined up on the sidewalk to represent the death toll in Iraq.

Some conservative supporters of the war call the protests, which have been ignored by the establishment media, "shameless" and have taken to conducting counter-demonstrations at Walter Reed. "[The anti-war protesters] should not be demonstrating at a hospital. A hospital is not a suitable location for an anti-war demonstration," said Bill Floyd of the D.C. chapter of FreeRepublic.com, who stood across the street from the anti-war demonstrators on Aug. 19.

"You know that 95 percent of the guys in the hospital bed lost guys whenever they got hurt and survivors' guilt is the worst thing you can deal with," Pannell said, adding that other veterans recovering from wounds at Walter Reed share his resentment for the anti-war protesters.

McCarron said he dislikes having to resort to such controversial tactics, "but this stuff can't be hidden," he insisted. "The real cost of this war cannot be kept from the American public."

The conservative counter-demonstrators carry signs reading "Troops out when the job's done," "Thank you U.S. Armed Forces" and "Shameless Pinkos go home." Many wear the orange T-shirts reading "Club G'itmo" that are marketed by conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

"[The anti-war protesters] are really showing an enormous lack of respect for just everything that America has always stood for. They lost the election and now they are really, really angry and so they are picking on the wrong people," Wilde added..

In 2001, Benjamin was asked about anti-war protesters sympathizing with nations considered to be enemies of U.S. foreign policy, including the Viet Cong and the Sandinistas. "There's no one who will talk about how the other side is good," she reportedly told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Benjamin has also reportedly praised the Cuban regime of Fidel Castro. Benjamin told the San Francisco Chronicle that her visit to Cuba in the 1980s revealed to her a great country. "It seem[ed] like I died and went to heaven," she reportedly said.
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200508\SPE20050825a.html

Personally I think what these particular anti-war protestors are doing goes too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to agree with you but I also ask you to consider your news source. It doesn't seem like the most balanced site and I am sure that if it was a real news story you will find it elsewhere...

However, I completely disagree with the comment by Wilde that the protesters lost the war....no. Their candidates never get far in races anymore because they are seen as liberal and god forbid that a liberal be on the ticket for a Democratic race. So I think that is wrong and frankly shouldn't be in the article.

And on the other side of that, even if the so-called pinkos are there, that doesn't make it ok for others to come there to protest them. This is what we do to all of them...take out a newspaper, roll it up and hit them on the nose and say no in a loud and firm voice.

I think I am done. Interesting article and I think the people should not be there at the hospital doorstep so to speak. They should be at the very least a respectable distance away, which in my lingo, means off the grounds. They can protest in front of the entrance on the street (which would be off the grounds) which I believe would be perfectly fine and actually would get more attention from passing motorists and from people coming to visit. I know most people wouldn't want them protesting there at all, but that is a respectable distance away imho.

ShamMol said:
I would tend to agree with you but I also ask you to consider your news source. It doesn't seem like the most balanced site and I am sure that if it was a real news story you will find it elsewhere...

You're going to need to have a long talk with Billo Really & ban.the.electoral.college....

Although they do have a point (that the Bush administration tries to minimize the real effects of the war), I don't see what good it does to protest at the hospital, since noone knows bettter than the people inside what is going on with the war, how many soldiers are wounded, etc

cnredd said:
You're going to need to have a long talk with Billo Really & ban.the.electoral.college....
I know, they have been ******* me off lately. I think I even said that about a Bill Oreally post about the cost of the war.

vandree said:
Although they do have a point (that the Bush administration tries to minimize the real effects of the war), I don't see what good it does to protest at the hospital, since noone knows bettter than the people inside what is going on with the war, how many soldiers are wounded, etc
Wouldn't me point about protesting out on the street to atract more attention be better because they would hit both the people coming in (and not be able to taunt them because they would be in cars-thank the heavens) and those on the street? Plus taht would be a more respectable distance than right at the entrance to the doors of the hospital.

It looks like they me protesting in front of an empty building soon:

Panel Votes to Shut Walter Reed, a U.S. Army Landmark

Aug. 25 (Bloomberg) -- A U.S. commission approved the Pentagon's recommendation to close Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, a hospital that has treated wounded soldiers and presidents including Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan.

The action came on the second day of deliberations by the independent Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission on a national overhaul of military sites. The operations of Walter Reed would move from a location occupied for the past 96 years to new facilities in the suburbs of the U.S. capital. The commissioners, meeting in Arlington, Virginia, voted 8 to 0, with one abstention, to close the facility over the objections of local politicians.

[Mod Note]Merged two threads to one
[/Mod Note]

Wouldn't me point about protesting out on the street to atract more attention be better because they would hit both the people coming in (and not be able to taunt them because they would be in cars-thank the heavens) and those on the street?

Definitely. But I am confused now... where are they protesting? They couldn't possibly be inside the hospital....

I JUST saw this topic on Hannity and Colmes... boy was Sean mad. I think its dishonorable and outright rude to protest in from of a hospital with injured veterans. Protest somewheres else.

I saw the protests on a couple of news shows today.........It was disgraceful.If they want to protest let them do it at the White House or at Crawford......
These wounded soldiers have given alot an when they go into Walter Reed their privacy should be respected........

Is there no length that the extreme left will not go to? Sad.........

Navy Pride said:
I saw the protests on a couple of news shows today.........It was disgraceful.If they want to protest let them do it at the White House or at Crawford......
These wounded soldiers have given alot an when they go into Walter Reed their privacy should be respected........

Is there no length that the extreme left will not go to? Sad.........

I think they should all go to Iraq right now and protest this war to the soldiers personally...

vandree said:
Definitely. But I am confused now... where are they protesting? They couldn't possibly be inside the hospital....
I think that it is directly at the entrance, not the "front gates" so to speak which is where I would station my protestors if I were to choose that location. I would choose that location for dual reason-1.) It maintains a respectful distance away from those who fought bravely for our country while still being a symbolic location and 2.) it would attract people on the highway/street to our cause. Plus, I would not allow my protestors to heckle, cat-call, anything, other than say thank you to our troops. There is no reason for that-it is not their fault they fight this war, it is not their fault they are over there, it is not their fault that they got injured, and we should be grateful that they are willing to do that for us, even if we disagree with them. That is the beauty of America-they will fight for us even when we don't agree and they won't give up the fight...true American spirit.

But, honestly, if I were organizing this protest, I would not have chosen that location at all because of how complicated the situation gets when you involve soldiers...you just don't want to get involved in it.

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
I totally agree with you. Are the kids in that hospital responsible for waging war in Iraq, or is the WH and the BA?

Protest where the real culprits are, not at hospitals or funerals.

Y

cnredd said:
I think they should all go to Iraq right now and protest this war to the soldiers personally...

Um... no! Are you kidding?? I sure hope so...

Look, I'm a right-wing nutcase, and I'll be the first to admit it. I have no problem with anti-war protestors, its part of living in America today. That said though, these soldiers and their families have gone through enough already, they really should be at the Whitehouse, or in Crawford Texas. At the hospital they just aren't helping anyone.

Back
Top Bottom