• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-Vaccination

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I was eating lunch today and I heard a woman behind me going on about vaccinations and how bad they were for you and how sick they made you.

I personally think that line of thinking is based in complete BS, which makes me wonder where it started.

Where did the idea that vaccinations are bad for you based on their supposed ingredients actually come from and why do people still cling to it even though it's been shown time and time and TIME again to be completely bogus?

Because people are often stupid.

I was eating lunch today and I heard a woman behind me going on about vaccinations and how bad they were for you and how sick they made you.

I personally think that line of thinking is based in complete BS, which makes me wonder where it started.

Where did the idea that vaccinations are bad for you based on their supposed ingredients actually come from and why do people still cling to it even though it's been shown time and time and TIME again to be completely bogus?

Some people think, because at one point many vaccines had a touch of mercury and formaldehyde, that they were doing irreparable harm to infants.
Many think it is the cause of Autism.

Mostly fits megaprogman's description well.

Of course vaccines are a powerful medical tool and have gone a long way to completely erradicate some diseases. But in some instances...take the flu-virus vaccination, there are some that believe that by injecting an inert version of the current mutated strain of the virus the body 1-gets sick when it wasnt previously sick and 2-is less effecitve in devoloping its own natural ability to fight off the virus and 3-because the virus is NEVER fully erradicated it mutates and with each generation becomes just that much more wicked.

Then there are the worthless vaccinations that people object to. In the military any of us who were sent to the middle east were required to be given the Anthrax vaccination series. Now granted...there was a LOT of misinformation about the shots in the first place. But the general consensus is that there is no value to receiving the vaccine. Upside...virutally nil...unless we were veterans being exposed to a bloodborn pathogen. We were certainly no better prepared to face anthrax than we were any of the airborn chemical weapons. Downside...we were injected with a variant of something we would never otherwise have in our system. Cant be a blood or organ donor. Several people had violently ill reactions to the vaccine (I didnt...I did have 2-3 days worth of a burning sensation throughout my body after the second and 3rd shots).

So...SOME people believethat their bodies are better equipped to handle certain viruses and that our treatment rituals are creating more violent strains of the viruses. Id bet that was the objection.

Of course vaccines are a powerful medical tool and have gone a long way to completely erradicate some diseases. But in some instances...take the flu-virus vaccination, there are some that believe that by injecting an inert version of the current mutated strain of the virus the body 1-gets sick when it wasnt previously sick and 2-is less effecitve in devoloping its own natural ability to fight off the virus and 3-because the virus is NEVER fully erradicated it mutates and with each generation becomes just that much more wicked.

Then there are the worthless vaccinations that people object to. In the military any of us who were sent to the middle east were required to be given the Anthrax vaccination series. Now granted...there was a LOT of misinformation about the shots in the first place. But the general consensus is that there is no value to receiving the vaccine. Upside...virutally nil...unless we were veterans being exposed to a bloodborn pathogen. We were certainly no better prepared to face anthrax than we were any of the airborn chemical weapons. Downside...we were injected with a variant of something we would never otherwise have in our system. Cant be a blood or organ donor. Several people had violently ill reactions to the vaccine (I didnt...I did have 2-3 days worth of a burning sensation throughout my body after the second and 3rd shots).

So...SOME people believethat their bodies are better equipped to handle certain viruses and that our treatment rituals are creating more violent strains of the viruses. Id bet that was the objection.

You argument about Anthrax and other military vaccinations may hold water but resistance to other vaccines like small pox, whooping cough, etc, are/were stupid.

You argument about Anthrax and other military vaccinations may hold water but resistance to other vaccines like small pox, whooping cough, etc, are/were stupid.

I dont disagree...thought I made that clear with the first line...

I dont disagree...thought I made that clear with the first line...

Just trying to disambiguate it some.

Most people are resistant to the later vaccines and mostly for children.
My sister has not had her kids vaccinated against MMR and the others citing that no one gets it anymore, why should she risk her children getting hurt from the vaccine.

It's one of those duh moments but I didn't argue with her.
She has all the right in the world to be a dumb ass.

SOmebody posted this on another thread about a superbug found at hosptials in England that has become resistant to vaccines and antibiotics.

"A lot of Doc's still proscribe antibiotics for the flu, just to get the patient off their backs and give the appearance of doing something.
I hate it."

I think thats all part of the anti-vaccination mentality.

SOmebody posted this on another thread about a superbug found at hosptials in England that has become resistant to vaccines and antibiotics.

"A lot of Doc's still proscribe antibiotics for the flu, just to get the patient off their backs and give the appearance of doing something.
I hate it."

I think thats all part of the anti-vaccination mentality.

That's possible but I can't count how many times I've heard a fellow employee tell me the doc gave him antibiotics for the flu.
I usually keep my mouth shut but there are times when I say, "that won't help, antibiotics only kill bacteria and not the flu virus."

Antibiotics don't kill virus, not what they were designed to fight.

Last edited:
Ha, last nights episode of Penn & Teller Bull**** was on vaccinations last night. Lets just say the anti-vaccination people were a little lacking in sanity.

Vaccines are a good thing, end of story.

Ha, last nights episode of Penn & Teller Bull**** was on vaccinations last night. Lets just say the anti-vaccination people were a little lacking in sanity.

There may be the occasional 1 in 100,000 that gets violently ill or even dies but for humanity as a whole, they have been awesome.

I'm envious, I've wanted to watch Bull**** but don't have showtime.:(

Vaccines ARE a good thing.

You might be shocked to know how many ER docs got out of having to take their 'mandatory' H1N1 vaccines...or any flu shots. Personally I havent had a fluu vaccine in 20 years...for 8 years in the military I managed to dodge the flu shots. I havent had the flu since I stopped taking the flu shots and I work in multiple ERs...around lots of sick people INCLUDING people that have been hospitalized due to the H1N1.

There may be the occasional 1 in 100,000 that gets violently ill or even dies but for humanity as a whole, they have been awesome.

I'm envious, I've wanted to watch Bull**** but don't have showtime.:(

It's amazing how many diseases are just not an issue anymore thanks to vaccines.
Oh, and there was a great moment about where some anti-vaccine lady was talking about mouse brains, and formaldehyde, and then Penn went on a rant about why there in there, and not just there to cause autism. I think the formaldehyde stopped the disease from reproducing, and mouse brains did......something I can't remember. But I find it amazing that people without medical degrees think they can look at the ingredients of a vaccine, or any other medicine, and figure out what's good or bad for them.

Most of the people I've heard of that are against vaccinations are people who think it's the government's method of mind control, or a scare tactic for Joe Public to keep the folks at Big Pharm rolling in Lexuses.

Both arguments are ludicrous. But hey, in America you're free to be stupid. People died to give you the right to kill your children through ignorance and neglect.

Most of the people I've heard of that are against vaccinations are people who think it's the government's method of mind control, or a scare tactic for Joe Public to keep the folks at Big Pharm rolling in Lexuses.

Both arguments are ludicrous. But hey, in America you're free to be stupid. People died to give you the right to kill your children through ignorance and neglect.

This was mentioned on the show last night as well. Vaccines account for like 2% of the pharmaceutical companies earnings. It's not even like it's a big cash cow for them.

Some people think, because at one point many vaccines had a touch of mercury and formaldehyde, that they were doing irreparable harm to infants.
Many think it is the cause of Autism.

Mostly fits megaprogman's description well.

i think the autism thing has been pretty well debunked.

Because Polio is a good thing.......

i think the autism thing has been pretty well debunked.

True enough but people are still dumb enough to believe it.
It's a big pharma conspiracy.
tinfoilhatsmile.gif

True enough but people are still dumb enough to believe it.
It's a big pharma conspiracy.
tinfoilhatsmile.gif

Oh, they mentioned the increase number of autism cases in the show too. In like 1997 they expanded the definition of autism to include less severe cases of the disease, and guess what? The number of diagnoses increased! Who would of guess it! :lol:

Oh, they mentioned the increase number of autism cases in the show too. In like 1997 they expanded the definition of autism to include less severe cases of the disease, and guess what? The number of diagnoses increased! Who would of guess it! :lol:

Ignorance + easily manipulated information = OMG it's a conspiracy!!!!

I have a problem with the Gardasil Vaccine. It protects against the human pappiloma virus which is known to cause some cases of cervical cancer. In 2006, the CDC says that about 11,000 women were diagnosed with cervical cancer.

It scares me that it is given to everyone ages 9-26 (which, of course, translates to the whole population) for a condition that effects .0036% of the population. HPV is just one cause of cervical cancer. So the vaccination doesn't wipe out cervical cancer. It lessens its occurrence. Everyone who gets HPV does not get cervical cancer. Everyone who gets cervical cancer does not get it from HPV.

One only has to consider profit motive to be very concerned that a whole population is being given medication that won't be really proven for many years. Why would we trust pharma so much?

Last edited:
I have a problem with the Gardasil Vaccine. It protects against the human pappiloma virus which is known to cause some cases of cervical cancer. In 2006, the CDC says that about 11,000 women were diagnosed with cervical cancer.

It scares me that it is given to everyone ages 9-26 (which, of course, translates to the whole population) for a condition that effects .0036% of the population. HPV is just one cause of cervical cancer. So the vaccination doesn't wipe out cervical cancer. It lessens its occurrence.

One only has to consider profit motive to be very concerned that a whole population is being given medication that won't be really proven for many years. Why would we trust pharma so much?

That's how we improve overall life expectancy.
The big things that are easy, have been done, for the most part. (nutrition, personal safety, etc.)

We are now stuck with making progress in tiny jumps.

It scares me that it is given to everyone ages 9-26 (which, of course, translates to the whole population) for a condition that effects .0036% of the population. HPV is just one cause of cervical cancer. So the vaccination doesn't wipe out cervical cancer. It lessens its occurrence. Everyone who gets HPV does not get cervical cancer. Everyone who gets cervical cancer does not get it from HPV.

it's voluntary. i would get it for daughter if she were under age.

Just trying to disambiguate it some.

Most people are resistant to the later vaccines and mostly for children.
My sister has not had her kids vaccinated against MMR and the others citing that no one gets it anymore, why should she risk her children getting hurt from the vaccine.

It's one of those duh moments but I didn't argue with her.
She has all the right in the world to be a dumb ass.

Did you slap your sister? Twice?

Back
Top Bottom