• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-trans bathroom ordinance repealed in Oxford, Alabama

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
(CNN)The Oxford, Alabama, City Council has overturned an ordinance that could have sent transgender people to jail for using the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.

Looks like some places in the Old South are coming to their senses. The same town that passed a law which would have thrown transgendered people into jail for using the bathroom just repealed that law before the mayor could sign it.

Kudos to them. They never could have enforced it anyway. What could they have done? Hire the penis police to check everybody's genitals at the bathroom door? LOL.

Article is here.

Not really understanding the obsession with this on both sides. I guess this has taken over the the pro/anti SSM argument.

Not really understanding the obsession with this on both sides. I guess this has taken over the the pro/anti SSM argument.

I agree. It's crazy. Trans people have been using the bathroom of their choice for centuries, and dumb laws passed on emotion and ideology are never going to change that fact. As a musician, I have been around gays and transgendered people for decades. It never hurt me, and I never became gay from accepting them.

I agree. It's crazy. Trans people have been using the bathroom of their choice for centuries, and dumb laws passed on emotion and ideology are never going to change that fact.

Reactionary laws are seldom well thought out and that goes for everyone, including the pro side that wants to make it illegal to even question adult men hanging out in the ladies room.

As a musician, I have been around gays and transgendered people for decades. It never hurt me, and I never became gay from accepting them.

Good speech but lacks originality.

Reactionary laws are seldom well thought out and that goes for everyone, including the pro side that wants to make it illegal to even question adult men hanging out in the ladies room.

Good speech but lacks originality.

Since you don't know me, I can accept your opinion. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one....... Oops, now THAT was not original for sure. LOL.

Looks like some places in the Old South are coming to their senses. The same town that passed a law which would have thrown transgendered people into jail for using the bathroom just repealed that law before the mayor could sign it.

Kudos to them. They never could have enforced it anyway. What could they have done? Hire the penis police to check everybody's genitals at the bathroom door? LOL.

Article is here.

Hire Beulah Ballbricker from PORKYs!

Has anybody seen this prick? LMAO.

it was last seen hanging out in the girls locker room at angel beach high school

do not try to apprehend it, since it is armed and dangerous

yet only one side is getting thrown in jail, and it's the minority as always. And since your basic rights, such as using a bathroom without being terrified of choosing between jail or assault, have never been threatened in this way, i can almost see why you'd think it an 'obsession' to defend those rights

Last edited:

if they've had SRS and they by all appearances are female then it's entirely ludicrous to force them into the male room. The only reason i can think of for this is irrational dislike

and you clearly side with the anti trans when you phrase trans rights in such preposterous terms - "illegal to even question." Absolutely nowhere has that been attempted the way this alabama town attempted to imprison transgender for using restrooms

if they've had SRS and they by all appearances are female then it's entirely ludicrous to force them into the male room.

A person should use the bathroom of whichever gender they appear to be, regardless of full SRS. Think that's been working just fine.

The only reason i can think of for this is irrational dislike

I think there's still a good amount of butthurt over SSM, so this is the new line in the sand, I guess and the primary argument against it seems to really have little to do with trans people themselves, which is incredibly unfair when you think about it. Even if there did become some giant problem with men cross dressing in order to hang out in bathrooms (which I doubt), that would still not be justification for hindering true trans people.

and you clearly side with the anti trans when you phrase trans rights in such preposterous terms - "illegal to even question." Absolutely nowhere has that been attempted the way this alabama town attempted to imprison transgender for using restrooms

Believe as you wish.

I think there's still a good amount of butthurt over SSM, so this is the new line in the sand, I guess and the primary argument against it seems to really have little to do with trans people themselves, which is incredibly unfair when you think about it. Even if there did become some giant problem with men cross dressing in order to hang out in bathrooms (which I doubt), that would still not be justification for hindering true trans people.

that could be why, although the transgender were already largely hated, so i think it's just similar in that a largely hated group is starting to make progress so there's a reactionary pushback. Remember that SSM was never really a topic until the 1990s despite homosexuality being highly taboo for centuries. That's because finally progress was being made, so politicians were able to say "See, they are a threat, we have to do something!" And what better lightning rod issue than the fantasy of men barging into bathroom stalls of little girls, just as the transgender are starting to seem a threat

some would say they're riding the coattails of the gay rights movement, so i don't know about unfair

Back
Top Bottom