• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-Semitism is on the rise, stoked under progressive values

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note the links in Post #13.

Fledermaus:

Pick up and read Norman Finkelstein's Beyond Chutzpah to see his analysis of the misuse of anti-semitism for the marketing of ideas and fear by cynical groups both from outside and from inside Jewish communities. It is a fascinating and extremely well documented book.

For a shorter preview see below:

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

I'd say there's an equal amount coming from the hard left - especially when you look at the problems the Labour Party is having dealing with antisemitism in its own ranks. Broader still, some migrant communities including muslim will bring historic hatred with them

You may be correct IC. But the impression on this side of the pond is that the current wave of European Antisemitism is being fanned [mainly] by the hard right.

It's sort of a given that migrant Muslim communities won't be enamored of Israel or the Jewish community.

Not likely.

Antisemitism existed long before Israeli attacks on Damascus, Syria. Israeli attacks on Damascus, Syria just gives them another excuse to hate the Jews.

Why are you anti-semitic?
\/

You may be correct IC. But the impression on this side of the pond is that the current wave of European Antisemitism is being fanned [mainly] by the hard right.

It's sort of a given that migrant Muslim communities won't be enamored of Israel or the Jewish community.
and there lies the rub, the two being indiscriminately conflated. Not just by Muslims either, the far left often being just as simplistic.

In this the neo-Nazis are to be lauded for honesty, they don't care whether a Jew has anything to do with Israel or not and hate them all.

In this the neo-Nazis are to be lauded for honesty, they don't care whether a Jew has anything to do with Israel or not and hate them all.

TAAC being a local example :mrgreen:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/11/europe/antisemitism-poll-2018-intl

This data is startling considering the Holocaust is typically part of the curriculum in all World History classes. We are also seeing more and more Professors in college denying letters of recommendation for students who want to study abroad in Isreal.

Also, a lot of the hostility against Jews is being committed by Muslims:

https://www.hlsenteret.no/aktuelt/p...isk-vold-i-europa_engelsk_endelig-versjon.pdf

Islamists/Muslims are typically more liberal and anti-Isreal. Ilhan Omar, tweeted in 2012, “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” Comments by Louis Farrakhan have been well-documented.

Personally, what I find disturbing is that anti-semitism is being brushed under the rug here in the United States. When someone like Steve King makes offensive comments against African Americans, it demands for action/protest by the Democrats. When officials make equally offensive comments against Jews, it sometimes does not even receive a response.

We need to remember what Anti-Semitism is. It is a dangerous conspiracy theory that promotes the idea that Jews are evil.

So your belief is that the major force in American and European politics right now supporting Anti-Semitism is.... progressives? Not Richard Spencer and the Alt-Right? Not the conservatives at Charlettesville who chanted "JewSA"? Not the European fascists --not the National Front in France or England?

Fascinating. You come to very interesting conclusions.

Perhaps it is related to the Israeli attacks on Damascus, Syria. Netanyahu has admitted to unprovoked attacks. Could that be influencing the data?
\/

What attacks do you consider to be unprovoked? Attacks on terrorists? Attacks on Iranians in Syria?

How so? Liberals believe in the fact women can be leaders, not only politically but religiously too. Islam and conservatives do not. Liberals believe in LGBT rights, Islam and conservatives don't. Liberals believe in gay marriage, Islam and conservatives don't. Liberals believe in women in the work place, Islam and conservatives believe women are baby making machines and belong in the household. You are sadly and woefully ignorant on Islam AND liberals dude.

Conservatives protect women's rights. What a confusing world we live in, when liberal (left wingers) openly support Islamists who oppress women. As for LGBT, I still do not care, this is something stupid the left just threw at us recently, and I am still thinking about it.

I call bull**** on this survey.

1 in 20 have never heard of the holocaust in the countries surveyed? Seriously? Learning of the holocaust is mandatory in most if not all those countries during basic schooling and has been since 1945. And the worst "offender" is France? FRANCE? what the ****? Hell no. Who did they ask.. infants or senile old people?

We have heard about this supposed rise in anti-Semtic behaviour for decades and yet there is no empirical evidence in crime statistics that it has happened. Instances of actual anti-Semitic attacks or behaviour reported are relatively low.

Now saying that, issues against Israel is another matter.. here many Europeans have serious problems on how Israel acts as a nation.. including me, but that is not anti-semitic.

Israel acts to survive, and they have so far. What else would you have them do?

So your belief is that the major force in American and European politics right now supporting Anti-Semitism is.... progressives? Not Richard Spencer and the Alt-Right? Not the conservatives at Charlettesville who chanted "JewSA"? Not the European fascists --not the National Front in France or England?

Richard Spencer and the supposed Alt Right are idiots with no support whatsoever. Conservatism has nothing at all to do with hatred of anyone. Conservatism has nothing to do with left wing ideology such as the KKK and the Nazis, and of course the Communists.

Goebbels and Stalin would be proud of the democrats for all the lies they spread today.

Major force? Hell no.
We have freshmen in CONGRESS who openly express their anti-Israel, pro-Palestianian views. Who openly support anti-Semites.
Richard Spencer has no platform. No power. No enormous microphone at his disposal. The last I heard about him he was kicked out of his local gym.
He's a loser and totally rejected by the Right. In no way has he become mainstream.
Can't say the same about American politicians and news organizations.

Fledermaus:

Pick up and read Norman Finkelstein's Beyond Chutzpah to see his analysis of the misuse of anti-semitism for the marketing of ideas and fear by cynical groups both from outside and from inside Jewish communities. It is a fascinating and extremely well documented book.

For a shorter preview see below:

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Is the term "Anti-Semitism" overplayed?

Yes.

Is there a tangible rise in documented antisemitic activities in Europe?

According to the articles I linked to (and numerous others not linked) hell yes.

Richard Spencer and the supposed Alt Right are idiots with no support whatsoever. Conservatism has nothing at all to do with hatred of anyone. Conservatism has nothing to do with left wing ideology such as the KKK and the Nazis, and of course the Communists.

Goebbels and Stalin would be proud of the democrats for all the lies they spread today.

Their dear leaders stand on a stage next to Louis Farrakhan, and they say nothing. Richard Spencer hasn't been seen or heard for God knows how long, but somehow, he's relevant.
Their potential Presidential candidates are standing in line to kiss the ring of race baiter and poverty pimp Al Sharpton.
Our President rejected all things racist, Nazi, white supremacist, you name it.
The Left hasn't done so with their anti-Semites, racists and bigots.

Interesting. Someone better tell these guys:

Major force? Hell no.
We have freshmen in CONGRESS who openly express their anti-Israel, pro-Palestianian views.

Being pro-Palestinian civil liberties doesn't make you anti-Semitic. You seem to confuse anti-colonialism as anti-Semitism.

Who openly support anti-Semites.

Who in Congress supports anti-Semites? I mean, other than Republicans.

Richard Spencer has no platform. No power. No enormous microphone at his disposal. The last I heard about him he was kicked out of his local gym. He's a loser and totally rejected by the Right. In no way has he become mainstream. Can't say the same about American politicians and news organizations.

I didn't say he was influential personally. I don't need to say that, either, he's one individual emblematic of anti-Semitic, white nationalist. You know, like these:

What attacks do you consider to be unprovoked? Attacks on terrorists? Attacks on Iranians in Syria?
Attacks on Damascus. If it's OK for Israel to attack Damascus, it's OK for Syria to attack Tel Aviv.\/

Being pro-Palestinian civil liberties doesn't make you anti-Semitic. You seem to confuse anti-colonialism as anti-Semitism.

Who in Congress supports anti-Semites? I mean, other than Republicans.

I didn't say he was influential personally. I don't need to say that, either, he's one individual emblematic of anti-Semitic, white nationalist. You know, like these:

No, I'm not confused. Omar's dog whistle about Jews "hypnotizing" is steeped in anti-Semitism.

Is the term "Anti-Semitism" overplayed?

Yes.

Is there a tangible rise in documented antisemitic activities in Europe?

According to the articles I linked to (and numerous others not linked) hell yes.

Fledermaus:

The articles you linked to do not necessarily point to a rise in actual anti-Semitism in Europe. They indicate a rise in the perception of anti-Semitism in Europe. The first linked article indicates that the basic floor for defining anti-Semitism has dropped to someone feeling insulted by someone else's comment with no indication if the offence was actually anti-Semetic or not. If I call someone an unkind name and do not know that they are Jewish, does that mean I am an anti-Semite and my actions are contributing to the rise of anti-Semitism in Canada? The anti-Semetic nature of the offence often depends entirely on the perception of the person being insulted. The insulter may just be having a bad day and the recipient may interpret the offence as being rooted in anti-Semitism when it is really rooted in anti-social behaviour with no religious or cultural implication. So polling people who have felt offended by the words of others is poor methodology unless there is an explicit anti-Semetic reference in the offence.

Later in the first article are two charts expressing the percentages of people who have been offended and the types of anti-Semetic attacks which have occurred. The sums of these percentages far exceed 100% so the overflow cannot be attributed to rounding errors. The Maths are wonky.

Finally the perceived increase in anti-Semitism may be the result of new(ish) communications technology since one uttered word can only affect those within earshot of the speaker but one typed insult on a social media platform can offend millions of people all around the world. It is worth noting that about 80% of the offences reported in the first article you cited were from electronic social media.

Perhaps we as societies are becoming hypersensitive to words uttered by foolish people who don't think before they speak or type. Perhaps the perceived rise in anti-Semitism is actually a societal allergy caused by a hyperactive social immune system which is increasing our collective intolerance for crass and bigoted speech. Perhaps it's time to remember the opinions of fools don't really matter but that their actions certainly do. So less emphasis on the words uttered and more focus on acts done might reduce our modern perception of the pervasiveness of anti-Semitism in modern societies.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

No, I'm not confused. Omar's dog whistle about Jews "hypnotizing" is steeped in anti-Semitism.

So saying Israel "hypnotized" the world is clear indisputable, irrefutable evidence that Omar is an anti-semite, but King knowingly re-tweeting Neo-Nazis and talking about how the US shouldn't take in "other people's babies" is... not white nationalism?

Cool story, bro.

Interesting. Someone better tell these guys:

Truly retarded morons. I reject and repudiate them in every way, just as President Trump has rejected and repudiated them in every way, many, many times.

Attacks on Damascus. If it's OK for Israel to attack Damascus, it's OK for Syria to attack Tel Aviv.\/

Israel is under attack by muslim terrorists for many decades now, it needs to stop. You siding with the muslims helps nothing.

Israel is under attack by muslim terrorists for many decades now, it needs to stop. You siding with the muslims helps nothing.

Who said anything about Muslims? Muslims in Saudi Arabia so by your analysis Israel should attack Saudi Arabia. Syria is a secular Nation.
\/

So you are saying that Trump is not a Conservative. I agree and also say that neither are you if you support him. Trumps entire support comes from his scapegoating of immigrants and calling them rapists. To boot he is an even bigger spender than GW Bush who doubled our debt. He certainly cannot be a Conservative if he does those things. His scapegoating is quite Nazi-like and he spends like a big gubberment librul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom