• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-maskers explain themselves

You have to ask yourself how well they protect you if they allow you to breathe easier. Usually it’s an indication that air moves more freely through them. And if air is moving through them what else is? Typically the more restrictive the air flow the better the protection. N95 (without the air valves) offer the best protection. I haven’t seen many of these though.

My understanding of how these masks are supposed to work is by preventing the fairly large water droplets that ordinarily issue from the mouth during speech, coughing, exhalation, etc. from becoming airborne or even hitting other people.

They obviously don't prevent air or water from passing through the mask entirely; I've seen masked people at bus stops in winter, and I can assure you that visible clouds of water vapour are coming through the mask. These may not be N95 masks, but I can also deduce that N95 masks must allow a considerable amount of water vapour through. If you've ever worn a neck-warmer, although it traps just a fraction of the vapour coming out of your mouth, your face and the neck warmer itself will be soaked with exhaled water vapour in under 30 minutes. Hence unless people wearing N95 masks have the captured water literally dripping down their faces, those too must ultimately allow it to pass through or vent it into the atmosphere somehow.

The "preventing large droplets" explanation is also the explanation I've read for why wearing a mask protects others, not the self. Although I admittedly have no idea why a stranger's mask wouldn't be as or more effective in protecting him from large droplets issued from my mouth than my mask. Perhaps you have some insights.

In any case, as I said earlier in this thread, I wear a mask and urge others to do the same not because I'm confident the masks actually do anything, but because they give people peace of mind, because respecting the law is the Christian thing to do, and because it can't hurt to wear one.

My understanding of how these masks are supposed to work is by preventing the fairly large water droplets that ordinarily issue from the mouth during speech, coughing, exhalation, etc. from becoming airborne or even hitting other people.

They obviously don't prevent air or water from passing through the mask entirely; I've seen masked people at bus stops in winter, and I can assure you that visible clouds of water vapour are coming through the mask. These may not be N95 masks, but I can also deduce that N95 masks must allow a considerable amount of water vapour through. If you've ever worn a neck-warmer, although it traps just a fraction of the vapour coming out of your mouth, your face and the neck warmer itself will be soaked with exhaled water vapour in under 30 minutes. Hence unless people wearing N95 masks have the captured water literally dripping down their faces, those too must ultimately allow it to pass through or vent it into the atmosphere somehow.

The "preventing large droplets" explanation is also the explanation I've read for why wearing a mask protects others, not the self. Although I admittedly have no idea why a stranger's mask wouldn't be as or more effective in protecting him from large droplets issued from my mouth than my mask. Perhaps you have some insights.

In any case, as I said earlier in this thread, I wear a mask and urge others to do the same not because I'm confident the masks actually do anything, but because they give people peace of mind, because respecting the law is the Christian thing to do, and because it can't hurt to wear one.
Good response. I appreciate it.

There is a lot of misinformation “out there”. Many people believe that by wearing a mask they are protected. No they are protecting others in the event that they have contracted the virus. But this protection is limited by a number of factors. One being how the mask is fitted.

I’ve observed a number of people who are wearing the masks improperly. Some not covering their nose, for instance. Others do a criss-cross of the bands to make it easier to breathe. Another is wearing a mask with facial hair (doesn’t allow for a proper seal).

Whenever you go to a store ( at least where I live) there are signs on the floor marking a safe distance between customers. Why is that if the masks are enough protection? The new thing I’ve been seeing with healthcare workers are face shields. Why them if the masks are enough?

Masks improve the odds that the virus won’t spread. But there are other guidelines just as (if not more) important. Social distance. The virus can only travel so far. Washing your hands. Have you observed how many people are constantly adjusting their masks?

When I read your account of your grandparents I was impressed and felt a certain degree of sympathy for them that in the latter years of their lives they have to go through this crap. My wife and I are in the same compromised group. Not as old but other underling health issues.

May you and them stay safe.

Show me one scientific study - replicated by other scientists - that quantifies the effectiveness of masks we wear. Do not insult me with "masks work". Or, "masks are better than nothing."
I hope that that study will show how masks hurt the wearers by forcing the wearer to inhale his own exhausts, plus very humid CO2. In numbers.

No numbers, don't bother.
As he keeps replying^ lol. Stay at home and put cloth curtains up. Your whole house will be a mask that you can live in!
You think living under a constant death threat is funny?

Poor analogy. Speeding laws are enacted by legislatures and governments via the normal process of creating laws. In order to drive legally one must agree to obey those laws. Mask orders are largely mandates put forth via executive order - akin to the kings of old posting a declaration in the town square.

Another poor assumption on your part - that I have COVID. One must have it to spread it. And since you can't prove that I have it, how can I be causing any endangerment? So then why must I conform to a procedure that allegedly minimizes the spread of something that I don't have? You can't prove causation, yet you insist that I comply with an abnormally implemented government mandate.

To make your analogy equivalent - you must be issued the speeding ticket for driving 100 miles per hour before you ever do it. Simply because your car is capable of driving 100 mph.

Executive orders have the force of law just like those enacted by legislators. You don’t get to choose which to obey. State constitutions and legislative actions have granted executive order powers to Governors.

You have it backwards. You don’t know whether or not you have it. Therefore there is a risk that you can infect others.

Why do you people want to continue to keep people sick and dying and trash the economy when if you would get on board with what the scientists want us to do we would be much better off?

You are the reason we are the 206th worst out of 215 countries as measured by deaths per million population.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You think living under a constant death threat is funny?
Lol...if you think covid is living under a constant death threat then you are going to live in fear your entire life as planet earth is not a place for those who are afraid of germs and scawy things.

Executive orders have the force of law just like those enacted by legislators. You don’t get to choose which to obey. State constitutions and legislative actions have granted executive order powers to Governors.

This is the exact problem in our modern society, that we have conceded power to 1 individual. Regardless of if we are talking about state or federal legislation, laws are not supposed to be passed by 1 person. Horrendous loss of freedom, and many people, yourself included, don't even understand how dangerous this is.

Simple example for you - thieves and rapists exist, so your governor justifies an executive order mandating that all citizens must carry loaded guns to protect themselves.

This is a test of your commitment to the power of an executive order.

You have it backwards. You don’t know whether or not you have it. Therefore there is a risk that you can infect others.

I do not have anything backwards. It is well established in law that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Anyone who calls me a killer if I am not wearing a mask is a moron, because they can't prove that I had or have COVID. Let alone prove that I personally spread it to anyone. One must commit a crime, and be proven to have done so in order to have government action taken against me in this country (at least that is the way it is supposed to work). As of right now my freedom to control myself has been taken away from me, without my consent, without justification, without causation, without substantial evidence to support 1 person (my governor) mandating that I lose my freedom.

My state does not qualify as a pandemic under CDC definitions, no hospital in my state has ever been overwhelmed with cases, there is no reason for an emergency to be declared.

Why do you people want to continue to keep people sick and dying and trash the economy when if you would get on board with what the scientists want us to do we would be much better off?

The chance of catching COVID is miniscule, the chance of dying from it is miniscule; the spread of COVID will not destroy our society. This is not airborne EBOLA.

I give a pass to everyone through May. We didn't know what was going on. We do now. The elderly are at risk - protect them. Pre-existing conditions plus COVID is the cocktail that kills most people - protect those with pre-existing conditions. Wash your hands, now go do it again, stay distant, minimize contact. Go back to work. Go back to your life.

You want to wear a mask? Wear one, I don't care.

You are the reason we are the 206th worst out of 215 countries as measured by deaths per million population.

I understand this is an online forum, but you assume far too much. Do you know if I wear a mask or not when I am in public?

I am saying a 1 person government mandate is the incorrect method of mask implementation. I am also saying that a mask mandate is a violation of personal freedom. I never said I don't wear a mask in public.

I've suggested before that those that object to masks should get ones printed with "**** you" on them, because not wearing a mask expresses the same thought.

But they wouldn't wear them to read such and not wearing one makes the message clear enough. Maybe if it should be enforced law, though...

If masks work, you can wear yours and leave the kids alone. Putting a mask on a child is child abuse. Your daughter is right.
I don’t think you understand the concept of masks. let me explain it for you: COVID is transferred from spit/saliva particles that is exhaled, coughed, sneezed, etc. out of one’s mouth. So, the mask you wear protects others from getting your spit particles on them. Basically, masks protect others from you so how can you say that about her and her kids? If all this is too difficult for you to comprehend, i offer you this analogy: say some was driving down the wrong side of the street towards you and then imagine the guy who is driving down the street make this argument: “your airbags work don’t they?”

False. Those of us who have not hidden from germs have built up a much higher immunity than germophobes. It's why you always see it's the germophobes that are the ones who are constantly sick. Humans have evolved alongside germs. Your mask isnt going to help you. Cloth doesn't stop viruses. All you are going to donis give people lung infections from forcing them to breath through dirty masks. If you are afraid you should stay home and seal the windows with foil. It will keep the aliens from finding you as well. Right?
Actually, masks don’t keep you from breathing in oxygen. yes, they take getting used to but there are plenty of people who have worn multiple face masks, an N94 mask, AND a face shield and her O2 content was 100%. O2 is oxygen by the way

This is the exact problem in our modern society, that we have conceded power to 1 individual. Regardless of if we are talking about state or federal legislation, laws are not supposed to be passed by 1 person. Horrendous loss of freedom, and many people, yourself included, don't even understand how dangerous this is.

Simple example for you - thieves and rapists exist, so your governor justifies an executive order mandating that all citizens must carry loaded guns to protect themselves.

This is a test of your commitment to the power of an executive order.

I do not have anything backwards. It is well established in law that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Anyone who calls me a killer if I am not wearing a mask is a moron, because they can't prove that I had or have COVID. Let alone prove that I personally spread it to anyone. One must commit a crime, and be proven to have done so in order to have government action taken against me in this country (at least that is the way it is supposed to work). As of right now my freedom to control myself has been taken away from me, without my consent, without justification, without causation, without substantial evidence to support 1 person (my governor) mandating that I lose my freedom.

My state does not qualify as a pandemic under CDC definitions, no hospital in my state has ever been overwhelmed with cases, there is no reason for an emergency to be declared.

The chance of catching COVID is miniscule, the chance of dying from it is miniscule; the spread of COVID will not destroy our society. This is not airborne EBOLA.

I give a pass to everyone through May. We didn't know what was going on. We do now. The elderly are at risk - protect them. Pre-existing conditions plus COVID is the ****tail that kills most people - protect those with pre-existing conditions. Wash your hands, now go do it again, stay distant, minimize contact. Go back to work. Go back to your life.

You want to wear a mask? Wear one, I don't care.

I understand this is an online forum, but you assume far too much. Do you know if I wear a mask or not when I am in public?

I am saying a 1 person government mandate is the incorrect method of mask implementation. I am also saying that a mask mandate is a violation of personal freedom. I never said I don't wear a mask in public.
you’re not a killer for wearing your mask but you are, however, increasing the chances that other people around you will contract the virus if you are positive. i’ve been reading these responses and many don’t know what masks are for. MASKS ARE TO PROTECT OTHERS FROM YOU. not wearing a mask isn’t a personal choice but rather a choice one must make in order to contribute to a healthier society. by not wearing a mask, you most definitely are jeopardizing the lives of your fellow Americans, especially if you’re not keeping your distance as well.

You are too used to responding with platitudes. I did not make a medical argument. This is essentially no different than leaving your plastic cup, or your McDonald's burger wrap, or your dog's pile behind you. Its tacky. Its crass. Its littering. You are leaving stuff behind that you should be taking with you and you can reasonably take with you. Take your damn saliva particles with you, or stay out of the public. I really don't care if you throw your cigarettes or garbage around your own home and I don't care if your poodle craps in your house. You can create as much spit mist as you want at home too. Its a new civic and social expectation in public spaces that has legal force behind it in some jurisdiction. In most there is also a civic and social expectation that you wear clothing too.
i love this response☺️

I want numbers how they filter and how they affect the wearers negatively - short and long term. The headaches are the first proof that the masks have a negative effect on many.
We demand that everything - including ****roaches and rats - must be studied before we build another dam. Do you know a study that would numerically document what effects masks have on the wearers, in general, and, specifically, on those with compromised blood circulation? Was it published?

BTW, science does not use adjectives. When you see adjectives, it's not science.
My sisters, who have completely awful asthma, wear masks all the time and haven’t complained of any symptoms whatsoever regarding masks. maybe you should hydrate more and see a neurologist before just assuming that it’s the mask’s fault. AGAIN, my sisters wake up in the middle of the night not being able to breathe yet they still wear a mask so i’m sure you won’t die from wearing one too

I don’t think you understand the concept of masks. let me explain it for you: COVID is transferred from spit/saliva particles that is exhaled, coughed, sneezed, etc. out of one’s mouth. So, the mask you wear protects others from getting your spit particles on them.
So, after all that spitting and coughing you now have Petrie dish on your face. Enjoy it. Yeah, that air you are inhaling is pure gold.

When was it last time you coughed and spat at others without covering your face? I know, never. It's always the other guys. I got.

Last edited:
My sisters, who have completely awful asthma, wear masks all the time and haven’t complained of any symptoms whatsoever regarding masks. maybe you should hydrate more and see a neurologist before just assuming that it’s the mask’s fault. AGAIN, my sisters wake up in the middle of the night not being able to breathe yet they still wear a mask so i’m sure you won’t die from wearing one too
If your sisters wear masks where they don't have to, they need a shrink.

Again, this leftard approach to life. We all will die one day. We just don't know when. How much would you give to live another year? How about six more months?

Do you have any data to show that restricting breathing has no effect on our health? Masks do restrict breathing. Just talk to a checkout lady next time you are proudly wearing your stupid mask for 10 minutes to buy more masks at Walgreens.

You are ignorant of what impact masks have on human life span. None.

Actually, masks don’t keep you from breathing in oxygen. yes, they take getting used to but there are plenty of people who have worn multiple face masks, an N94 mask, AND a face shield and her O2 content was 100%. O2 is oxygen by the way
Lets see a 26 mile run with masks and then see if you have trouble breathing in O2. mmmmkay. A mile is a unit of measure for distance by the way.

If your sisters wear masks where they don't have to, they need a shrink.

Again, this leftard approach to life. We all will die one day. We just don't know when. How much would you give to live another year? How about six more months?

Do you have any data to show that restricting breathing has no effect on our health? Masks do restrict breathing. Just talk to a checkout lady next time you are proudly wearing your stupid mask for 10 minutes to buy more masks at Walgreens.

You are ignorant of what impact masks have on human life span. None.

This post is stupidity.

I am not even going to bother.

you’re not a killer for wearing your mask but you are, however, increasing the chances that other people around you will contract the virus if you are positive.

"if" is the largest word in your sentence. My freedom should not be governmentally removed based on if. This is a basic premise of our society. Or at least is used to be.

i’ve been reading these responses and many don’t know what masks are for.

I certainly hope you are not assuming me with your presumptive sentence.

MASKS ARE TO PROTECT OTHERS FROM YOU.

This is a false narrative. Masks of any kind, to a certain degree, mitigate vapor or particulate or other microscopic items from passing the barrier of the mask. Not all masks are made the same, and the absolute vast majority of "things" worn by the public are on the lowest scale of effectiveness.

In addition your statement assumes that masks are a one direction barrier. This is bovine feces of the highest order. If you wear a mask, to whatever extent it blocks whatever it blocks, it will prevent my expulsions from passing through as well (it doesn't just mitigate exhalations, it also mitigates inhalations).

Look up the term "doffing procedure"
Look up the term "donning procedure"
How many times were you in a sanitary condition when you did either of the above?
How do you sterilize your mask? (note that I did not use the word "clean")
Does COVID only enter the human body via the nose and mouth?

Hopefully you see where I am going with this - masks are not what you claim they are, they are mitigating procedure at best, that barely mitigates a disease that the vast majority of us will NEVER get (330 million Americans and only 7 million cases), and is largely deadly to people with ADDITIONAL conditions.

Masks are a placebo to alleviate fear. You could choose to wear a respirator and a face shield and what I wear wouldn't matter. There are other options that preserve freedom. And yes I understand what a mask does, I merely question the level of effectiveness in addition to the legality of mandated use.

not wearing a mask isn’t a personal choice but rather a choice one must make in order to contribute to a healthier society.

You are someone who doesn't understand freedom and personal responsibility. You must be defeated at the ballot box or I will have a red letter emblazoned across my chest soon.

by not wearing a mask, you most definitely are jeopardizing the lives of your fellow Americans, especially if you’re not keeping your distance as well.

The brainwashing worked on you, I see. It didn't take with me. By the way - I wear a mask in public, I social distance. The former is a violation of my personal freedom because I am mandated to do so, the latter is my choice.

What mask are your sisters wearing specifically?

But when Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced the state would extend its lockdown for the month of May, she’d had it. Pandemic over or not, she was done. After that, Amy became vehemently anti-mask and began to doubt whether the coronavirus was really that big of a deal. Her mother unfollowed her on Facebook over her “anger posts” about masks, and she hasn’t heard from her in a month.

*shrug*

That's how cults work.

A mask or rag over your mouth and nose isn’t going to parent you from becoming infected or passing that infection.

Back
Top Bottom