• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-gun nut with a camera harrass a guy that open carry.[W42;56]

Got nothing against it. I OC on my own land, and when hunting (about the only times it is legal in my state, which is otherwise strong on gun rights... well we're making progress in that direction at least).

I'd welcome full legal Constitutional Carry in my state. OC, CC, with or without permit, fine.

Now the guys that went in Starbucks with the AR and Tac shotgun on one-point slings and held at low-ready... that was kind of douchy and attention-whore-ish in my opinion, and carrying in that low-READY manner has a threatening look about it that doesn't sit well with me for public places.

But holstered sidearms or slung long guns, I have no problem with.

Personally I like CC for many reasons. Maybe I'll do a pro and con post next...

Their are idiots and duchess on both sides but one side is more skewed then the other.

Not to mention using denigrating terms and harassing language and general douchebaggery towards the guy from the first moment.

I have to agree that the guy with the camera was being a total jerk. This kind of stuff is not necessary nor useful nor productive.

if its legit.....

Open Carry WA we teach people that are new to OC what retention holsters you should use and teach those that want learn proper technique to retain a firearm.

You said "most" people are educated about OC. How do you know whether that program is successful? Or OC education outside Washington state?

That is a legitimate concern.

Uniformed police officers "open carry" with an exposed holster... and most use Level III retention systems. That means the holster is designed to be hard for anyone but the guy wearing it to draw from... typically you have to press in two places (at least one not so obvious) to release the holding mechanisms and draw in a particular manner to clear the holster.

As training vids from my LE days revealed, though, many of these holsters are subject to being torn off or apart by brute force, especially leather ones.

Also most Police departments teach gun-retention skills (the flip side to disarming HTH). Generally they don't really drill them as much as they should, but at least they teach them.

Citizens who open carry should also study this matter and take appropriate precautions.

When I was in the service we carried our K38's in regular leather with just a snap across the hammer. There was more than one occasion (maybe more than 10!) where I had to stop running and retrieve my sidearm. There are so many more options for holsters today and, more importantly, more better options.

Concealed Carry vs Open Carry.... the tactical and social advantages and disadvantages...

May intimidate criminals into looking elsewhere for trouble................... Open

Keeps criminals from knowing who is or isn't armed, thus uncertain....... Concealed

Faster draw with less likelihood of "fouling" on clothing................ Open

More feasible for "covert" draw without being spotted...................Concealed

Can more readily carry a larger-caliber, larger-capacity handgun.............................. Open

Avoids the "Please Shoot Me First!" tactical problem of being recognized as armed......Concealed

Socially...

Allows you frequent opportunities to interact with people who disagree with you (Yay! Joy! {irony! :roll: }) ................................ Open

Doesn't alarm the Nervous Nellies and Caspar Milquetoast's and similar timid souls, or get you talked about or provoke people to post against carry in their businesses.............Concealed

Got any more? :D

Concealed Carry vs Open Carry.... the tactical and social advantages and disadvantages...

May intimidate criminals into looking elsewhere for trouble................... Open

Keeps criminals from knowing who is or isn't armed, thus uncertain....... Concealed

More feasible for "covert" draw without being spotted...................Concealed

Can more readily carry a larger-caliber, larger-capacity handgun.............................. Open

Avoids the "Please Shoot Me First!" tactical problem of being recognized as armed......Concealed

Socially...

Allows you frequent opportunities to interact with people who disagree with you (Yay! Joy! {irony! :roll: }) ................................ Open

Doesn't alarm the Nervous Nellies and Caspar Milquetoast's and similar timid souls, or get you talked about or provoke people to post against carry in their businesses.............Concealed

Open carry is proven to reduce crime. Who do criminals target...private citizens or armed cops?

Socially...

With OC you have people that come up to you and ask questions which allows you to educate people.

Love how the moronic lib is sooooo concerned about the children, and yet is dropping F-bomb after F-bomb as the children walk by.

Wanted to get your guys reaction to this video. I open carry regularly and I have had two times where people have harassed my one them stating they wish they could poison me.

But that guy with the camera couldn't make me stop laughing from his stupidity.

I'm sorry the guy who was armed engaged at all with Mr. Asshole. I think he should have called the guy a ****ing asshole and walked away. If the guy followed, he should have called the cops. Then Mr. Asshole could have called the COPS ******s.

Love how the moronic lib is sooooo concerned about the children, and yet is dropping F-bomb after F-bomb as the children walk by.

I was worried about him. With his anger and shaking I kept expecting him to stroke out

There are tac and social reasons for both. I know u r not one of them but I hate those that CC think they are better then those that OC.

The grand-standers and attention-whores have kind of tarnished OC a bit. Like the famous Starbucks guys with their low-ready one-point sling tactical long guns demo, which tends to make even VERY pro-carry people wince and think "please stop trying to help."

I'm not saying there isn't a legitimate way to go about OC demonstrations and things intended to educate the public. It's just that there are so many OC confrontation vids on the web these days where the persons OCing are clearly seeking confrontation... or worse, an 'incident' to post to YouTube.

Holstered sidearms, fine. Slung long guns are fine in rural areas or small towns, as long as they're not carried low-ready (looks too much like you're about to open fire). But there's always some douchebags and attention whores muddying the waters...

Now nobody lose their cool I am NOT against OC!! I want OC in my state! I'm just saying that "I have a right to _____!" isn't always equal to "it is wise to... " especially with regards to heavy-duty weapons in places not used to seeing such things...

With OC you have people that come up to you and ask questions which allows you to educate people.

Yeah, true. Also totally NOT what I'm looking for when I'm out buying groceries. :)

Open carry is proven to reduce crime. Who do criminals target...private citizens or armed cops?

Well cops are sometimes targeted, as are armed security guards, but granted it isn't USUAL. Criminals tend to avoid those who can fight back effectively.

There's a deterrent effect to CC as well... criminals don't know WHO is or isn't armed, so the benefit "splashes" to others as well.

Shaky says his name is "Richard Johnson." That makes him a double dick. ;)

Moderator's Warning:
Enough with the Dick references before someone crosses the line into Baiting, mmkay? We don't need to grease the slope...

Socially...

agreed, I always carry concealed except in say a USPSA or Steel match,. Handguns should be like knives-a bad guy shouldn't see it until AFTER you shoot him or cut him

agreed, I always carry concealed except in say a USPSA or Steel match,. Handguns should be like knives-a bad guy shouldn't see it until AFTER you shoot him or cut him

I always love the gun grabber argument that says a criminal going in to rob a store would see the open carry and attack that person first.

Yeah I couldn't watch the whole thing. I admire the young man that was the primary subject for his self-control and restraint, and I agree that Constitutional Carry (open or concealed, without permit) would be properly in line with the 2A.

However you probably wouldn't catch me, personally, anywhere near an open carry rally or demonstration. If open carry were allowed in my state I'd probably continue to carry concealed most of the time. If I did open-carry, it would be while quietly going about my usual business and not looking for any kind of confrontation. If confronted, I'd probably just smile and keep on walking and not respond... as long as nobody violated my personal space or laid hands on me. If I said anything, it would probably be "It's the law, deal with it," while walking on. If my business obliged me to stay in place for a time, and someone was in my face like this camera guy, I'd ask him to leave me alone; failing that I'd threaten to call 911 and tell them I was being harassed and filmed without my permission.

I'm just not generally interested in unnecessary confrontations... especially not with douchebags like the guy doing the filming here.
Pretty much my stance, the only difference I would say is I would tell the guy a bit more. I would basically say, "Mind your own business and leave, put your hands on me and you're going to find out how good your health insurance is."

Exactly. What the Nervous Nellies don't see can't scare them.
I don't care about those people, paranoid people who get antsy because of a holstered weapon have a meaningless opinion in my eyes. The reason I don't like to open carry is prep for the unforeseen ambush scenario such as a couple of jackasses casing the area for an armed robbery, I don't want to be the first target if I am the only armed person there. I am not scared of death or injury but if I get taken out the rest have little to no chance left.

The grand-standers and attention-whores have kind of tarnished OC a bit. Like the famous Starbucks guys with their low-ready one-point sling tactical long guns demo, which tends to make even VERY pro-carry people wince and think "please stop trying to help."

I'm not saying there isn't a legitimate way to go about OC demonstrations and things intended to educate the public. It's just that there are so many OC confrontation vids on the web these days where the persons OCing are clearly seeking confrontation... or worse, an 'incident' to post to YouTube.

Holstered sidearms, fine. Slung long guns are fine in rural areas or small towns, as long as they're not carried low-ready (looks too much like you're about to open fire). But there's always some douchebags and attention whores muddying the waters...

Now nobody lose their cool I am NOT against OC!! I want OC in my state! I'm just saying that "I have a right to _____!" isn't always equal to "it is wise to... " especially with regards to heavy-duty weapons in places not used to seeing such things...
I have heard speculation that the "Open carry douches" may have been plants by gun control groups because it was pretty convenient that they went to places that (astroturf)Moms Demand Action wanted to bully into gun policy changes. It is possible they were just idiots, but the sad thing is given the tactics of the anti-gun extremists either scenario is plausible.

I always love the gun grabber argument that says a criminal going in to rob a store would see the open carry and attack that person first.
It would make sense from a tactical point. Some crooks aren't smart enough to observe their entire target area and might miss an OC. I am always wary of the ones who are less dumb and checked to insure they maximized their advantage.

Back
Top Bottom