• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-Facebook Movement?

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Just wondering if I am the only weirdo here who hasn't joined the ever-growing ranks of the Facebook Loyalists? I did have a Myspace account at one point, but being a high school teacher, I soon realized that my students were quite a bit more web saavy than I, as some of the more "creative" of them, took it upon themselves to hack my Myspace and create a "new" space for me. On it, they added a plethura of Bee Gees and Barry Manilow songs, and changed my profile to describe me as a Left Wing Hippie holdover who collected an assortment of leg warmers and parachute pants. They even photoshopped a couple of interesting images of me partaking in "precarious" activities. Needless to say my social networking experience came to an abrupt end.

My wife is an avid Facebooker as is my oldest daughter. I just can't get a grasp on the utter joy that many people get in updating their status every 15 minutes or so? I mean, I feel that I simply could not have made it through the day without knowing your cat had kittens, you woke up with an irritable bowel and a hangover to boot, and that you're planning a trip to see Great Aunt Nell next Sunday to cook out after the Saints game. LOL Please, tell me.................am I really missing out on something here? Or am I simply just becoming an old party pooper?:confused:

I'm no loyalist. Is there some other social network that isnt crap that everyones on? I have several friends who no longer use facebook since the change in its privacy policies in the last year or so. The only worthwhile alternative to facebook I know of would be a foreign clone for folks in other countries.

I have a facebook. I made one, in order to keep a close eye on my kids activity. I very rarely use it.. it was kind of addicting when I first got it, but after about a week, I grew bored with it. I don't see the appeal, personally... *shrug*

You're still a party pooper. :2razz:

I have a facebook. I made one, in order to keep a close eye on my kids activity. I very rarely use it.. it was kind of addicting when I first got it, but after about a week, I grew bored with it. I don't see the appeal, personally... *shrug*

You're still a party pooper. :2razz:

Yes, I knew it, I AM a party pooper! :fart2 See, it's that whole forty-thing catching up to me.

Yes, I knew it, I AM a party pooper! :fart2 See, it's that whole forty-thing catching up to me.

Hey now... let's not go there. :naughty :spank:

I used to have facebook then deleted it. I know it has some use but I mostly just find it to be a needless distraction. If people want to find out what's going on in my life they can actually write me an email (which is becoming increasingly old school) or, what a concept, call me on the phone. Facebook is a lazy way to stay in touch and most of the communications on it are not very in depth.

I do log on under my daughter's account to "keep an eye" on her activity. Maybe it's that whole idea that we believe that we give our own simple lives a higher degree of "importance" by publicizing our hourly escapades?
my better half claims she uses it to just stay in touch with family and old friends who've moved away. She has around 400 "friends" .....WOW, I never realized she was that popular :mrgreen:

I used to have facebook then deleted it. I know it has some use but I mostly just find it to be a needless distraction. If people want to find out what's going on in my life they can actually write me an email (which is becoming increasingly old school) or, what a concept, call me on the phone. Facebook is a lazy way to stay in touch and most of the communications on it are not very in depth.
I'm feelin' ya dude. I look at my teen students and just scratch my head...................it's almost as if they're losing the ability to communicate face-to-face. My own daughter can spend hours on Facebook or send 100 texts per minute, but is deathly afraid to actually TALK to someone on the phone - go figure.

I have a facebook, I've been on it only a few times this year. It's not very interesting.

I'm feelin' ya dude. I look at my teen students and just scratch my head...................it's almost as if they're losing the ability to communicate face-to-face. My own daughter can spend hours on Facebook or send 100 texts per minute, but is deathly afraid to actually TALK to someone on the phone - go figure.

Well, as her parent, you have the power to change that. I think I would control the amount of time that my kids spent in front of a screen, whether it be computer or t.v.

I don't really care about the people that constantly post crap like, "Going to the store. Hamburger is on sale!" Um.. so?

I don't care for twitter, either. What a bunch of self absorbed butts. I don't think anything that is going on in my life is that great that I need to give people a blow by blow.

"Going to work"
"Sitting at a stop light and some guy flipped me off!"
"At work now - overworked and underpaid"
"I seem to be irregular!"
"what's for lunch?"
"God my bosshole is an ass!"
"Working overtime"
"Picking my teeth with a toothpick"
"Picking the underwear out of my crack"
"Crap! Someone saw me picking my underwear from my crack!"

B O R I N G ! ! ! ! !

Who the hell cares!?!?! :doh

I don't really care about the people that constantly post crap like, "Going to the store. Hamburger is on sale!" Um.. so?

I don't care for twitter, either. What a bunch of self absorbed butts. I don't think anything that is going on in my life is that great that I need to give people a blow by blow.

"Going to work"
"Sitting at a stop light and some guy flipped me off!"
"At work now - overworked and underpaid"
"I seem to be irregular!"
"what's for lunch?"
"God my bosshole is an ass!"
"Working overtime"
"Picking my teeth with a toothpick"
"Picking the underwear out of my crack"
"Crap! Someone saw me picking my underwear from my crack!"

B O R I N G ! ! ! ! !

Who the hell cares!?!?! :doh

Now that is hilarious! You just made my day! :2funny:

Perhaps we should start a new thread on the "Most stupid TWEET or Facebook Status Update you've ever read" LOL :beam:

social-networking-disorder-diagram.png

Well, as I've said before... Facebook has gotten me back in touch with people I otherwise had no means of getting in touch with, and keeps me up to date with their (nearly) daily lives in a way that I could not otherwise keep up with. There's no way I can call or email all these people on a regular basis to keep up with them and I feel closer to them since I get to see pictures of what they're doing all the time and hear about their adventures all the time.

Just wondering if I am the only weirdo here who hasn't joined the ever-growing ranks of the Facebook Loyalists? I did have a Myspace account at one point, but being a high school teacher, I soon realized that my students were quite a bit more web saavy than I, as some of the more "creative" of them, took it upon themselves to hack my Myspace and create a "new" space for me --

Strange thing Facebook, it's really popular among the young and they have no qualms about posting their peccadilloes and strange habits for all to see. Anyhow - I found that the college emails I sent to my students just weren't being read on time (even when we posted stuff out really early) but if you post to their facebook pages, they all responded immediately.

I know some people would say "let them fail if they can't be bothered to check college emails" but in today's "blame the teacher if the student fails" culture, you have to go more than 50% to meet students and get them to learn stuff. So, I send stuff out on college email but I also send out facebook notices - loads of teachers do.

So yeah, I have a facebook but I use the group feature. All my students are enrolled and they get college information through that. I don't have to be "friends" with them though... bit dubious having a 46 year old man with lots of young (16 to 18 yr old) "friends...."

I have found though that a lot of ex students have now been in contact so it's great for me to see where they've gotten to after I finished trying to teach them.

Just saw this... it's another of those phrases that means something COMPLETELY different over this side of the pond.

What does it mean there? PM me if it's too naughty to post here.

Facebook to the average college student is useful for a few things. 1. Something else to do other than studying, homework, reading. 2. A way to keep tabs on friends either back home or you don't see often. 3. Facebook stalking. 4. Setting up events like birthday parties in order to see how many people are showing up (next weekend woot woot). 5. I actually use it to set up messages with people from different classes about material before an exam. 6. Facebook stalking. 7. Showing my friends pictures of girls that I like. 8. Plan events.

I'm fifty-freakin'-two years old. Why in hell would I want to reconnect with people I barely knew 37 years ago?

As for the Twitter - good gawd. The incessant "My butt has been itching all day" inanities that people go on about is as narcissistic (and overarchingly DULL) as it could possibly be.

The far sadder thing is, people "follow" this garbage.

:2no4:

Facebook was amazing when it was first introduced and was limited to a relatively small group of college students. For younger people, it's still necessary to have a profile if you don't want to be viewed as something of a weirdo, but most people out of school only use it as a fallback method of communication now. It's still handy for coordinating events and sharing pictures, but that's about it.

RogersAdoptionInnovationCurve.png

We're well into the laggards portion of the curve.

Perhaps we should start a new thread on the "Most stupid TWEET or Facebook Status Update you've ever read" LOL :beam:

STFU, Parents

STFU, Couples

There are plenty of sites out there for this.

I'm fall into the age group of all this mess so...Yeah I'm not into the whole facebook thing at all..it does absolutely nothing for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom