• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anthem Demo

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Played a few hours this morning, it’s good, I could see myself playing this.

maybe not right away at full price, I have a funny feeling, a sneaking suspicion that there may be a lack of content or compelling content on launch.

But as far as it being a co-op shooter, man it’s got some serious potential, I can see an addictive game play loop in here which could potentially be ham strung by a lack of content at launch but for those who played Andromeda, the gameplay is loosely similar, but with cooler functionality.

Disappointing things are visuals are a far cry from what was shown in promotional materials (not that, that’s anything new), the player hub feels lifeless with generic character models doing horrendous animations faking that they are conversing with one another and as you look around, at least in my case the frame rate dipped a lot.

Also that bit when you jump off a ledge and plummet into the world, yeah major graphical downgrade there, huge graphical downgrade.

then of course there are the alterior concerns, how will this be monetized etc.

but there is a possible, extremely great game loop here, I could see myself buying this.

maybe not right away at full price, I have a funny feeling, a sneaking suspicion that there may be a lack of content or compelling content on launch.

But as far as it being a co-op shooter, man it’s got some serious potential, I can see an addictive game play loop in here which could potentially be ham strung by a lack of content at launch but for those who played Andromeda, the gameplay is loosely similar, but with cooler functionality.

Disappointing things are visuals are a far cry from what was shown in promotional materials (not that, that’s anything new), the player hub feels lifeless with generic character models doing horrendous animations faking that they are conversing with one another and as you look around, at least in my case the frame rate dipped a lot.

Also that bit when you jump off a ledge and plummet into the world, yeah major graphical downgrade there, huge graphical downgrade.

but there is a possible, extremely great game loop here, I could see myself buying this.

Hope you like ludicrously priced microtransactions in your full priced game.

The leaked image of the store did point to that, I can, in some instances over look it if they don’t affect gameplay.

But EA is under such a spot light that any indescretion no matter how minor in the price of the micro transactions will cause a **** storm, again.

And that’s a problem entirely of their own making, but we shall see, the game itself has some potential.

The leaked image of the store did point to that, I can, in some instances over look it if they don’t affect gameplay.

But EA is under such a spot light that any indescretion no matter how minor in the price of the micro transactions will cause a **** storm, again.

And that’s a problem entirely of their own making, but we shall see, the game itself has some potential.

As far as I am concerned if you have to pay for a game upfront there should be no microtransactions, you already paid for the game, you should get all the content. Game companies seem to be treating the purchase price of games as a down payment to buy all the actual content later.

It is EA they will screw it up, that is what they do. EA and the games industry is simply unable to learn from mistakes.

As far as I am concerned if you have to pay for a game upfront there should be no microtransactions, you already paid for the game, you should get all the content. Game companies seem to be treating the purchase price of games as a down payment to buy all the actual content later.

It is EA they will screw it up, that is what they do. EA and the games industry is simply unable to learn from mistakes.

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here.

The issue is, all these companies want a long term cash machine beyond the initial purchase and that should be in exchange for continued support for the game long term.

That’s the theory anyway and that has worked for some games, I mean, Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch to name a couple.

But quality has suffered so much lately for many companies that attempt this model, it was a trend that they’re trying to catch up on and in Anthems case, it probably needs another 6 months to a year more in development.

But again, you’re preaching to the choir and unfortunately the whales lead us to this place, the micro transactions aren’t for us, they’re for them and as long as they keep buying it, it’ll keep happening but as my old friend Jim Sterling says, it will collapse, there are only so many humans and only so many hours in the day and those that find the “live service or “games as service” of their choice, it’s like the MMO craze, how many skeletons of dead MMOs are there that attempted to copy WoW in the 2000s, A LOT.

So shall it be with this.

In the meantime the best we can hope for is fairly priced, non random chance loot box cosmetic only, that seems to be the fairest compromise we can hope for.

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here.

The issue is, all these companies want a long term cash machine beyond the initial purchase and that should be in exchange for continued support for the game long term.

That’s the theory anyway and that has worked for some games, I mean, Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch to name a couple.

But quality has suffered so much lately for many companies that attempt this model, it was a trend that they’re trying to catch up on and in Anthems case, it probably needs another 6 months to a year more in development.

But again, you’re preaching to the choir and unfortunately the whales lead us to this place, the micro transactions aren’t for us, they’re for them and as long as they keep buying it, it’ll keep happening but as my old friend Jim Sterling says, it will collapse, there are only so many humans and only so many hours in the day and those that find the “live service or “games as service” of their choice, it’s like the MMO craze, how many skeletons of dead MMOs are there that attempted to copy WoW in the 2000s, A LOT.

So shall it be with this.

In the meantime the best we can hope for is fairly priced, non random chance loot box cosmetic only, that seems to be the fairest compromise we can hope for.

I definitely will not be buying it. I fell like the only few games that interest me anymore are Nintendo games on the Switch, I feel like AAA publishers have just run out of ideas because they wont make anything that might make them less than $1 billion.

I think that gamers are going to have to get over this type of thing. This is the viable economic model to go with now. The days of putting tons of work into a major platform game and just paying a single $60 for the game and getting everything, and continued support and updates is gone.

From what I've leaned, the micro transactions are just going to be for things like skins but you'll be able to earn everything for free still. You'll just have to grind it out. Just like we do with pretty much all games. I'm going to wait for a few months and let everyone else deal with the inevitable glitches and server issues for a bit, and then see what the reviews are like after that.

I think that gamers are going to have to get over this type of thing. This is the viable economic model to go with now. The days of putting tons of work into a major platform game and just paying a single $60 for the game and getting everything, and continued support and updates is gone.

From what I've leaned, the micro transactions are just going to be for things like skins but you'll be able to earn everything for free still. You'll just have to grind it out. Just like we do with pretty much all games. I'm going to wait for a few months and let everyone else deal with the inevitable glitches and server issues for a bit, and then see what the reviews are like after that.

I think CD Project Red and the Witcher series proves that very wrong, if you make it a good product people will buy your game and whatever succeeding content you make. Greed and satisfying shareholders with ludicrous promises of growth and sales has taken over the industry very much for the worse.

Oh Brooooooother! :roll:

Such a hypocrite...

Oh Brooooooother! :roll:

Such a hypocrite...

How is that exactly?

Because here's the problem, I have a feeling I know what you're going to say, but it's likely going to be based on what a lot of what you've said so far:

Incorrect responses to what I'm saying, because you don't read what I actually say, you only see what you want to.

So come, how is that exactly?

How is that exactly?

Because here's the problem, I have a feeling I know what you're going to say, but it's likely going to be based on what a lot of what you've said so far:

Incorrect responses to what I'm saying, because you don't read what I actually say, you only see what you want to.

So come, how is that exactly?

Because you spent so much energy hating Fallout 76 micro transactions that never actually existed, now you seem fine with these micro transactions.

Like I said, you're being hypocritical.

Because you spent so much energy hating Fallout 76 micro transactions that never actually existed, now you seem fine with these micro transactions.

Like I said, you're being hypocritical.

No I didn't.

In that post I was speaking on the broader point of Microtransactions as they apply to the general industry.

In some cases they can be overlooked if they are fairly priced and do not affect game-play, in fact I said this in the Fallout 76 thread, to you:

Yes, right now the Micro-transactions may not be egregious, they certainly do not rise to the level of something like Star Wars Battlefront II, fairly priced cosmetic only is a compromise I think everyone can live with.

The reason why Fallout 76 gets a lot of heat from me, is because it was a cheap, lazy and contrived asset flip to jump on the "Games As Service" (something you deny it even is) bandwagon and it is STILL ****ed, 3 months later, and they actively lied and mislead customers on a variety of issues, not least of all, they were extremely opaque about what the game actually was even a few months from launch and one can also point to their handling of merchandise in the Rum and Canvas Bag fiascos.

Here is a preface of what I'm saying:

Anthem appears to be, a bit more polished than that, it's an original IP with some promising gameplay, I'm a little worried about content, I would not buy this game at full price on launch and we'll have to wait to see how bad the micro-transactions might be, in SOME cases, I am ok with microtransactions, bad as they are, if they are cosmetic only and don't affect gameplay".

That is literally all I said, microtransactions are awful and they shouldn't exist,
in some instances
See that JM, that's from the post you quoted, the one you didn't actually read, in SOME cases, I can overlook them, if they do not affect gameplay, they are fairly priced and the game itself is solid.

I repeated myself a lot, so you might actually get the point I'm making and not the point you think I'm making.

Your defensiveness over Fallout 76 is interesting, I can understand someone sticking with a game for its potential, you COULD have said, "I understand Fallout 76 is a deeply flawed game, I enjoy it, but I understand why some people don't, I hope they'll address the issues".

But nah, you dismissed largely everyone's criticism, including reviewers, the Bethesda Fan base and the general gaming community, you addressed very little of what was actually said and instead just went off on your own tangents, as you've done here.

No I didn't.

In that post I was speaking on the broader point of Microtransactions as they apply to the general industry.

In some cases they can be overlooked if they are fairly priced and do not affect game-play, in fact I said this in the Fallout 76 thread, to you:

The absurdity of the above statement is that your bitchfest about microtransactions you couldn't overlook in Fallout 76 were for microtransactions that didn't even exist.

The reason why Fallout 76 gets a lot of heat from me, is because it was a cheap, lazy and contrived asset flip to jump on the "Games As Service" (something you deny it even is) bandwagon and it is STILL ****ed, 3 months later, and they actively lied and mislead customers on a variety of issues, not least of all, they were extremely opaque about what the game actually was even a few months from launch and one can also point to their handling of merchandise in the Rum and Canvas Bag fiascos.

Here is a preface of what I'm saying:

Anthem appears to be, a bit more polished than that, it's an original IP with some promising gameplay, I'm a little worried about content, I would not buy this game at full price on launch and we'll have to wait to see how bad the micro-transactions might be, in SOME cases, I am ok with microtransactions, bad as they are, if they are cosmetic only and don't affect gameplay".

That is literally all I said, microtransactions are awful and they shouldn't exist,

That is all you said about microtransactions as they relate to Anthem, whereas you railed against microtransactions that didn't even exist when it came to Fallout 76.

You made arguments about the content of Fallout 76 without ever actually playing it, and just relied of the BS Youtube hate train to educate you.

See that JM, that's from the post you quoted, the one you didn't actually read, in SOME cases, I can overlook them, if they do not affect gameplay, they are fairly priced and the game itself is solid.

I repeated myself a lot, so you might actually get the point I'm making and not the point you think I'm making.

Your defensiveness over Fallout 76 is interesting, I can understand someone sticking with a game for its potential, you COULD have said, "I understand Fallout 76 is a deeply flawed game, I enjoy it, but I understand why some people don't, I hope they'll address the issues".

Sigh. Again, such a hypocrite. The problem was that that majority of your uneducated bull**** complaints weren't even factual, and the few that were loosely base din reality were hyperbolic to the point of absurdity.

But nah, you dismissed largely everyone's criticism, including reviewers, the Bethesda Fan base and the general gaming community, you addressed very little of what was actually said and instead just went off on your own tangents, as you've done here.

Because I played the game. It was a lot of fun. I watched all the same video reviews that you depended on and they were as bull**** as your complaints... but you insisted that you had more valuable information to apply to the subject from watching youtube reviews that people who actually played the game had.

I play very few games (and even fewer like this one) but I keep seeing this pop up in Origin.

How's it compare to, say, Titanfall?

Some cosmetics in a persistently updated, multiplayer based system that requires the Game Company to host on servers it has to pay for, maintain... Hey that's FINE. As long as it is just cosmetics and not game play affecting in anyway.

But this is EA, and EA is evil.

The absurdity of the above statement is that your bitchfest about microtransactions you couldn't overlook in Fallout 76 were for microtransactions that didn't even exist.

I merely speculated, that the perk cards were originally monetized because and again this is something you deny, but it is fact, this is Bethesda getting in on the Games as Service model, I wasn't attacking it for something that didn't exist, I merely speculated that, that was their original intention behind that system.

According to Data Miners, my suspicion appears more probable, but I admitted that I could be wrong.

https://screenrant.com/fallout-76-adding-pay-to-win/

This did not come to pass because to their credit, Bethesda are smarter than that and they knew what pay to win lootbox mechanics would have done to their game, that by itself would have been more detrimental to the game than all their ****ups thus far.

So here's what I said, not what you think I said, but what I actually said and the reason I say it, is because Fallout 76 is a cheap asset flip, a desperate attempt to jump on the "Games as Service" model, something you don't even recognize, which is why your opinion isn't worth much, you seem to love lazy asset flips which is why I almost spat out my coffee when you said you were "impressed" with Atlas, a game so lazy in its asset flipping from ARK that you could open the ARK menu from a hidden button in the Atlas menu.

Let me qualify my statement about Micro-transactions at least.

Yes, right now the Micro-transactions may not be egregious, they certainly do not rise to the level of something like Star Wars Battlefront II, fairly priced cosmetic only is a compromise I think everyone can live with.

So let me get that straight.

But if you think those Card Perks weren't originally monetized for this game, dude, I could be wrong, but I really, really don't think so, in my humble opinion there is no way they weren't and only because Bethesda to their credit, realized the kind of backlash having card packs in the micro-transaction store would have caused, they back pedaled, but those things were specifically built to be sold, their presence, to me, makes no sense whatsoever, rather than simply leveling and building a character.

It was a pay to win mechanic that they backpedaled on, but for some inexplicable reason, kept in the game.

I know you're enjoying the game, power to you man, I started typing out other stuff about the game, but I'm not gonna get into it.

But in terms of micro-transactions, companies have become wise to having them being too egregious at launch as well, Activision shoved them into Black Ops 4 after launch so they wouldn't be talked about in any of the initial reviews, Red Dead for the online portion is going to probably have something like Shark Cards, if you think Bethesda isn't going to get in on the action and have some really ****ty stuff in the micro-transaction store down the road, I mean they might choose to be better, but time will tell.

That is all you said about microtransactions as they relate to Anthem, whereas you railed against microtransactions that didn't even exist when it came to Fallout 76.

I have been perfectly consistent about microtransactions all along, I have tons and tons of posts across lots of threads that explain perfectly fine, my position on Microtransactions, its overwhelmingly negative and it probably will be with Anthem, we have to wait to see what the model is because the screenshots show they're going with the Battlepass model in a full priced game, something Black Ops 4 did as well and its nauseating.

You made arguments about the content of Fallout 76 without ever actually playing it, and just relied of the BS Youtube hate train to educate you.

Some people think McDonalds is good food... That's you, but for Video Games.

I understand what I was seeing, because well, I've played every open world Bethesda game ever that uses that engine that's ever been made.

Sigh. Again, such a hypocrite. The problem was that that majority of your uneducated bull**** complaints weren't even factual, and the few that were loosely base din reality were hyperbolic to the point of absurdity.

Which things to be exact, be specific.

Because I played the game. It was a lot of fun.

And that's perfectly fine, some people like crap, they like people to **** in their mouths, that's what Bethesda did with this game because Zenimax presumably pushed them to **** out a Games as Service Game, in order to get a revenue stream, that's what these games are now.

I said Anthem has potential, I am weary of how they may monetize is and content at launch I suspect may be paper thin.

Sue me.

I play very few games (and even fewer like this one) but I keep seeing this pop up in Origin.

How's it compare to, say, Titanfall?

It's not that.

It's their attempt to do Destiny, but its 3rd person.

So if you've played Destiny or Destiny 2, or mass Effect Andromeda, you have some idea of what they're going for, the game-play loop has potential and as some people have pointed out, it very well could be somewhat of an Iron Man game that we've never got and I did get a bit of that feeling, the Robot suits are called "Javelins" and they have a few different models, more stealthy, more tank like, balanced, I only tried the balanced one called the "Ranger" and it was pretty cool.

I'm definitely concerned about monetization, content and there was definitely a graphical downgrade from what they showed before, not that, that's anything new but I wish it wouldn't happen.

All in all my attitude towards this IP went from no interest at all, to a little interested.

Back
Top Bottom