• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Antarctica's 'Doomsday Glacier' close to tipping point

"Thwaites Glacier, a gigantic ice shelf, ... warm water is ... whittling away at several vital "pinning points" that anchor the shelf to the land."

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Ice_shelf
tells us:

An ice shelf is a large floating platform of ice

How many times do the alarmists have to be told that floating ice
whether it's attached to land or not, doesn't contribute to sea level?
A glacier is land based. It is not floating ice. The ice shelf attached to the glacier is not floating unless it extends out to where the ocean is deeper. The the ocean is shallow where the glacier meets the sea and the ice shelf extending from the glacier is so massive and heavy it is resting on the ocean floor not floating.

A cubic mile of ice contains 110,111,713,711 gallons of water. Antarctica has 7,200,000 cubic miles of land based (non floating) ice. Greenland has about 750,000 cubic miles of land based ice.

Adding ice to a glass of water without ice raises the level of water, even before it melts.

I tested it too with a saturated mix. I had a considerable increase in level, which I did expect. Only problem, being saturated at 1.1972 gm/mL, I wondered what thermal expansion is for saltwater that concentrated. I couldn't find the data in a short time, not sure where to look. Consider that as soon as you put that much ice in a small volume of water, the water cools considerable. When you melt it and its at room temperature, how much is due to thermal expansion? I doubt it was significant, but I cannot say that with any certainty.

Maybe you had some water evaporate? I covered my glass.

Sea water is so much less saturated. From the data I could find, that are changing the brine mix from 1.1972 gm/mL to about 19.5 gm/mL. (I'm assuming 3 part brine 1 parts ice.) This alone changes the brine mix to a density of 1.1378, which is an increase of 5.22% in volume.

The same chemistry handbook I referenced has a different percentage when using lower salinity with the same ration. If I use 4 to 3 gm/mL, instead of 26 to 19.5 gm/mL, I get a change from 1.0268 to 1.0196 gm/mL, which is only a 0.7% increase in volume.

I mentioned somewhere about the this, I told one person to do the math. I also gave the ocean dilution example.

Thing is, the percentage of displacement change is so much less at the salinity of the ocean than it is in a saturated mix.

As I said, this experiment is flawed for the conclusion claimed. It only shows that there is an effect. But when you take it to the scale of the ocean, you have an insignificant change in salinity, with an insignificant change in density.

Did you two learn this by watching Nye the Science Guy?

Did you two learn this by watching Nye the Science Guy?
There are 18,000 cubic miles of ice in the circumpolar area above the Arctic Circle excepting out Greenland and 1,500 cubic miles of ice in the combined areas of sub-arctic Alaska, Central Asia (the Tien Shan Mts?) the Tibet plateau and the Himalayas. There is also the Patagonia ice field a huge 5000 square kilometers ice field in the Andes. The cubic mile of ics were not given.

Climate deniers need to stop looking to the ice cubes in their water glasses for salvation and start looking at the ice on the land. There seems to be quite a lot of it. You think that might cause sea levels to rise?

There are 18,000 cubic miles of ice in the circumpolar area above the Arctic Circle excepting out Greenland and 1,500 cubic miles of ice in the combined areas of sub-arctic Alaska, Central Asia (the Tien Shan Mts?) the Tibet plateau and the Himalayas. There is also the Patagonia ice field a huge 5000 square kilometers ice field in the Andes. The cubic mile of ics were not given.

Climate deniers need to stop looking to the ice cubes in their water glasses for salvation and start looking at the ice on the land. There seems to be quite a lot of it. You think that might cause sea levels to rise?
It takes 26,000 cubic miles of water to raise the sea level one foot. https://www.quora.com/How-much-water-is-required-to-raise-the-sea-level-by-1-foot

No biggie - right? " Thwaites Glacier's collapse could potentially take the rest of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet with it, causing a 10-foot (3 meter) rise in global sea levels. "

No global warming - nope - not happening.
lol...reminds me of a poster who blamed it all on vulcanism.

Came across this list some years ago and have been updating it from time to time ever since:

• "Global Warming Tipping Point Close?"--headline, ClimateArk.com, Jan. 27, 2004
  • "Warming Hits 'Tipping Point' "--headline, Guardian, Aug. 11, 2005
  • "Earth at the Tipping Point: Global Warming Heats Up"--headline, Time, March 26, 2006
  • "Global Warming 'Tipping Points' Reached, Scientist Says"--headline, NationalGeographic.com, Dec. 14, 2007
  • "Twenty Years Later: Tipping Points Near on Global Warming"--headline, Puffington Host, June 23, 2008
  • "Global Warming: Those Tipping Points Are Closer Than You Think"--headline, WSJ.com, April 29, 2009
  • "Have We Reached the Tipping Point for Planet Earth?"--video title, StudioTalk.tv, May 11, 2010
  • "Must-Read Hansen and Sato Paper: We Are at a Climate Tipping Point That, Once Crossed, Enables Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century"--headline, ThinkProgress.org, Jan. 20, 2011
  • "Earth: Have We Reached an Environmental Tipping Point?"--headline, BBC website, June 15, 2012
  • "In spite of the continued released [sic] of 90 million tons of global warming pollution every day into the atmosphere, as if it's an open sewer, we are now seeing the approach of a global political tipping point."--Al Gore, interview with Washington Post, Aug. 21, 2013
  • "World close to tipping point on global warming, UN body warns" Irish Times-Mar 31, 2014
  • "Tipping Point Nears for 'Emerging Flooding Crisis'" - Climate Central-Dec 18, 2014
  • "Boreal forest being driven to tipping point by climate change, study ..." - CBC.ca-Aug 21, 2015
  • "Glacier melt shows a climate change tipping point. We must pay ..." - The Guardian-Sep 28, 2015
  • "Goodbye World: We've Passed the Carbon Tipping Point For Good" - Motherboard-Sep 28, 2016
  • "Arctic scientists have warned that the increasingly rapid melting of the ice cap risks triggering 19 “tipping points” in the region that could have catastrophic consequences around the globe." - The Guardian-Nov 25, 2016
  • "Earth warming to climate tipping point, warns study" - BBC News-Nov 30, 2016
  • "Earth will likely warm way beyond the crucial tipping point that the ..." - Markets Insider-Dec 15, 2017
  • "But still, Derocher says there will come a point when the number of ice-free days reaches a tipping point and the [polar bear] populations will start to tank." - Natural Resources Defense Council-Dec 22, 2017
  • "Final countdown to climate chaos underway ... will soon pass a tipping point if people around the world remain indifferent to it." - News24, May 24, 2018
  • "Europe's Largest Asset Manager Sees `Tipping Point' on Climate" - Bloomberg, May 31 2018
  • "'Tipping points' could exacerbate climate crisis, scientists fear" - The Guardian, Oct 9, 2018
  • "2018: A Tipping Point for Climate Change" -- Forbes-Dec 30, 2018
  • "Greenland's Melting Ice Nears a 'Tipping Point,' Scientists Say" -- New York Times-Jan 21, 2019
  • "Climate change tipping point could be coming sooner than we think. -- Science Daily-Jan 23, 2019
  • "Are We Watching the Arctic Pass a Tipping Point This Summer?" - Gizmodo, July 30, 2019
  • "4 climate tipping points the planet is facing" - World Economic Forum, August 2, 2019
  • "The climate change ‘tipping point’ has already arrived for these 70 U.S. counties - grist,com, August 14, 2019
  • "Prince Charles Sets Yet Another Climate-change -Tipping Point'" - New American, July 18, 2019
  • "Earth’s Oceans At A Tipping Point, Landmark UN Climate Change Report Warns" - Forbes, September 25, 2019
  • "Global Climate Tipping Points Could Arrive In a Matter of Years" - Bloomberg, March 10, 2020
  • "Climate tipping point ecosystem collapses may come faster than thought: Studies" - Mongabay, May 11, 2020
  • "Nine climate tipping points now 'active,' warn scientists" - ScienceDaily, November 27, 2019
  • "Tipping point for the climate can already be a reality in East Asia" - EurekAlert!, November 30, 2020
  • "HUMANITY HAS REACHED A NEW, TERRIFYING TIPPING POINT, STUDY FINDS" - Inverse, December 9, 2020

When it comes to climate science, we’re always going to be at a “tipping point.”

lol...reminds me of a poster who blamed it all on vulcanism.
It's a bit disconcerting to know that there are people who think that all the ice in the world is just floating in the ocean and sea levels can't possibly rise. What is it they think is covering the land in Greenland, Antarctica, the Himalayas, the Andes, et al.?

Came across this list some years ago and have been updating it from time to time ever since:

• "Global Warming Tipping Point Close?"--headline, ClimateArk.com, Jan. 27, 2004
  • "Warming Hits 'Tipping Point' "--headline, Guardian, Aug. 11, 2005
  • "Earth at the Tipping Point: Global Warming Heats Up"--headline, Time, March 26, 2006
  • "Global Warming 'Tipping Points' Reached, Scientist Says"--headline, NationalGeographic.com, Dec. 14, 2007
  • "Twenty Years Later: Tipping Points Near on Global Warming"--headline, Puffington Host, June 23, 2008
  • "Global Warming: Those Tipping Points Are Closer Than You Think"--headline, WSJ.com, April 29, 2009
  • "Have We Reached the Tipping Point for Planet Earth?"--video title, StudioTalk.tv, May 11, 2010
  • "Must-Read Hansen and Sato Paper: We Are at a Climate Tipping Point That, Once Crossed, Enables Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century"--headline, ThinkProgress.org, Jan. 20, 2011
  • "Earth: Have We Reached an Environmental Tipping Point?"--headline, BBC website, June 15, 2012
  • "In spite of the continued released [sic] of 90 million tons of global warming pollution every day into the atmosphere, as if it's an open sewer, we are now seeing the approach of a global political tipping point."--Al Gore, interview with Washington Post, Aug. 21, 2013
  • "World close to tipping point on global warming, UN body warns" Irish Times-Mar 31, 2014
  • "Tipping Point Nears for 'Emerging Flooding Crisis'" - Climate Central-Dec 18, 2014
  • "Boreal forest being driven to tipping point by climate change, study ..." - CBC.ca-Aug 21, 2015
  • "Glacier melt shows a climate change tipping point. We must pay ..." - The Guardian-Sep 28, 2015
  • "Goodbye World: We've Passed the Carbon Tipping Point For Good" - Motherboard-Sep 28, 2016
  • "Arctic scientists have warned that the increasingly rapid melting of the ice cap risks triggering 19 “tipping points” in the region that could have catastrophic consequences around the globe." - The Guardian-Nov 25, 2016
  • "Earth warming to climate tipping point, warns study" - BBC News-Nov 30, 2016
  • "Earth will likely warm way beyond the crucial tipping point that the ..." - Markets Insider-Dec 15, 2017
  • "But still, Derocher says there will come a point when the number of ice-free days reaches a tipping point and the [polar bear] populations will start to tank." - Natural Resources Defense Council-Dec 22, 2017
  • "Final countdown to climate chaos underway ... will soon pass a tipping point if people around the world remain indifferent to it." - News24, May 24, 2018
  • "Europe's Largest Asset Manager Sees `Tipping Point' on Climate" - Bloomberg, May 31 2018
  • "'Tipping points' could exacerbate climate crisis, scientists fear" - The Guardian, Oct 9, 2018
  • "2018: A Tipping Point for Climate Change" -- Forbes-Dec 30, 2018
  • "Greenland's Melting Ice Nears a 'Tipping Point,' Scientists Say" -- New York Times-Jan 21, 2019
  • "Climate change tipping point could be coming sooner than we think. -- Science Daily-Jan 23, 2019
  • "Are We Watching the Arctic Pass a Tipping Point This Summer?" - Gizmodo, July 30, 2019
  • "4 climate tipping points the planet is facing" - World Economic Forum, August 2, 2019
  • "The climate change ‘tipping point’ has already arrived for these 70 U.S. counties - grist,com, August 14, 2019
  • "Prince Charles Sets Yet Another Climate-change -Tipping Point'" - New American, July 18, 2019
  • "Earth’s Oceans At A Tipping Point, Landmark UN Climate Change Report Warns" - Forbes, September 25, 2019
  • "Global Climate Tipping Points Could Arrive In a Matter of Years" - Bloomberg, March 10, 2020
  • "Climate tipping point ecosystem collapses may come faster than thought: Studies" - Mongabay, May 11, 2020
  • "Nine climate tipping points now 'active,' warn scientists" - ScienceDaily, November 27, 2019
  • "Tipping point for the climate can already be a reality in East Asia" - EurekAlert!, November 30, 2020
  • "HUMANITY HAS REACHED A NEW, TERRIFYING TIPPING POINT, STUDY FINDS" - Inverse, December 9, 2020

When it comes to climate science, we’re always going to be at a “tipping point.”
Just because journalists like to write hyper stories of coming disasters doesn't mean the climate isn't changing or that the land situated ice isn't melting.

Just because journalists like to write hyper stories of coming disasters doesn't mean the climate isn't changing or that the land situated ice isn't melting.
And just because they do write “hyper stories of coming disasters” doesn’t mean such disasters are coming.

I'm not afraid of no ice sheets. Try again you global warming doomsayers. The human race will adapt like it always has and you'll be left in the corner sucking your thumbs as usual.

I'm not afraid of no ice sheets. Try again you global warming doomsayers. The human race will adapt like it always has and you'll be left in the corner sucking your thumbs as usual.
Who said anything about being afraid of climate change. I expect humans will adapt. There will be some thumb sucking among those who thought planning was stupid. The dislocation of populations, mostly poor, will be the problem not the rise in sea levels. Most of Bangladesh is one meter above sea level. 163,000,000 people live there. How the world handles the dislocation of people and the loss of farm lands will test our ability to live together without fighting over resources.

Who said anything about being afraid of climate change. I expect humans will adapt. There will be some thumb sucking among those who thought planning was stupid. The dislocation of populations, mostly poor, will be the problem not the rise in sea levels. Most of Bangladesh is one meter above sea level. 163,000,000 people live there. How the world handles the dislocation of people and the loss of farm lands will test our ability to live together without fighting over resources.

I see. Mostly poor people will be hurt by rising sea levels then. Isn't that the way it always is poor people will be hurt the worst? Never mind the beachfront hotels and condos that may be at risk.

I see. Mostly poor people will be hurt by rising sea levels then. Isn't that the way it always is poor people will be hurt the worst? Never mind the beachfront hotels and condos that may be at risk.
Because it’s the poor people who most often occupy ocean front property?

Because it’s the poor people who most often occupy ocean front property?

Not where I live. It's mostly rich or middle class occupying the beaches. And I believe there will still be beaches during sea level rise they'll just be a few feet higher up than they were.

It is the poor that are most effected by economic instability and start migrating. I don't think the collapse of beach front hotels and condos will be a world wide economic and social problem.

I'm very concerned about climate change and all the other ways industrialism and other human behaviors are destroying the biosphere. Nobody knows when the complex relationships that allow for a relatively comfortable human existence for some changes to a relatively comfortable existence for a smaller percentage, all the way down to the complete lack of human habitability of Earth.

It seems that we have many major ecological problems and a lot of inertia to overcome. The very potential dire consequences are not worth rolling the dice on. I think we needed to take all of it very seriously on the macro level decades ago.

Last edited:
It is the poor that are most effected by economic instability and start migrating. I don't think the collapse of beach front hotels and condos will be a world wide economic and social problem.

So you think people are migrating because of sea levels rising? I don't think we're to that point yet. What news channel is telling you this?

So you think people are migrating because of sea levels rising? I don't think we're to that point yet. What news channel is telling you this?
I think, since you don't seem to have anything sensible to add to the conversation you shouldn't worry you self about the climate A good move would be to sell your condo on Long Boat Key buy something inland and wait 200 years for it to be beach front property.

I think, since you don't seem to have anything sensible to add to the conversation you shouldn't worry you self about the climate A good move would be to sell your condo on Long Boat Key buy something inland and wait 200 years for it to be beach front property.

It wasn't me who tried to scare people about an ice sheet breaking off and drowning millions of poor people. As a matter of fact I cast doubt on those kind of predictions.

Reactions: PoS
You’ve got me there. What’s happened to the public’s ability to think critically is a disaster.
I'm not sure that when the problem involves migration of large numbers of people we have ever been able to think critically. Certainly our track record has not shown much creative or cooperative problem solving.

It wasn't me who tried to scare people about an ice sheet breaking off and drowning millions of poor people. As a matter of fact I cast doubt on those kind of predictions.
You shouldn't think about it It will just hurt your head.

You shouldn't think about it It will just hurt your head.

I think about a mile high ice sheet breaking off and it doesn't scare me a bit. I live 300 miles inland from the nearest ocean I could care less.

Back
Top Bottom