• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Trump Shutdown casualty: US security

Slavister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A good piece on CNN pointing out

The shutdown is a call to action for cyber criminals at home and around the globe to probe for vulnerabilities and strategically position themselves for decisive strikes in the future.

(side comment: how lucky for Russians!)

Some specific vulnerabilities stem from ...

First, routine cybersecurity "hygiene" tasks, like firewall maintenance, are likely being postponed because they often require the buy-in of federal employees that might be furloughed and of federal contract workers who might have been deemed nonessential.

Second, getting to the bottom of whether an "incident" is a false alarm or a major security breach is impossible to do without support staff ...

Third, hiring for key federal cybersecurity and IT positions has slowed -- and perhaps altogether stalled -- diminishing the pipeline of candidates for several months. For those federal workers and contractors who already have those jobs but aren't getting a paycheck, they may well look for more reliable work in the private sector where they're less likely to be victims of our nation's dysfunctional politics.

So too key decisions on contracts and initiatives for cybersecurity are being postponed indefinitely. For example, Congress recently approved the new Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) at DHS. CISA is just getting off the ground. Running at full speed requires a lot of work and resources, but according to shutdown guidance, over 40% of CISA's staff is furloughed.

And just last month, President Donald Trump signed the SECURE Technology Act, which addresses supply chain vulnerabilities. The funding and program implementation behind SECURE has now ground to a halt.

Cybersecurity is hard enough when we're fully staffed and operating effectively. On a good day, we are outmanned, outgunned and out-funded by bold and creative cybercriminals and adversaries. Due to the shutdown, America's cyber defenses are more vulnerable than ever.

BS. There has been no delays or shut down of the DHS, FBI, DOJ or the military. But if you are correct, we are again seeing another way the Democratic Party will harm Americans on behalf of non-American foreigners.

The Democratic Party should fly Mexican, Central and South American flags behind their speakers at rallies, not the American flag.

A good piece on CNN pointing out

(side comment: how lucky for Russians!)

Some specific vulnerabilities stem from ...

So to be clear...you dems are concerned about cyber security...but not MS13 gang members raping American women and beating them to death with hammers? Can you explain why you worry about indirect cyber security but not our citizens direct safety?

BS. There has been no delays or shut down of the DHS, FBI, DOJ or the military. But if you are correct, we are again seeing another way the Democratic Party will harm Americans on behalf of non-American foreigners.

The Democratic Party should fly Mexican, Central and South American flags behind their speakers at rallies, not the American flag.

Typical Trumpian response: it's not true... but if it is, it's your fault, not mine.

So to be clear...you dems are concerned about cyber security...but not MS13 gang members raping American women and beating them to death with hammers? Can you explain why you worry about indirect cyber security but not our citizens direct safety?

First, I never said I was a "dem".

Second, yes, I am concerned about cyber security.

Third, your / Trump's fear mongering with M13 is BS. Do you know what percentage of M13 is illegal aliens? Do you know how many of them could NOT have crossed with that wall? And did you know that illegal aliens commit much few violent crimes (on per capita basis) than native born Americans? Dealing with illegals, as a group, is much safer than dealing with native-born Americans, as stats clearly show... And Trump probably knows it well, since he loves to hire illegals and has his managers help conceal them.

Third, your / Trump's fear mongering with M13 is BS. Do you know what percentage of M13 is illegal aliens? Do you know how many of them could NOT have crossed with that wall? And did you know that illegal aliens commit much few violent crimes (on per capita basis) than native born Americans? Dealing with illegals, as a group, is much safer than dealing with native-born Americans, as stats clearly show... And Trump probably knows it well, since he loves to hire illegals and has his managers help conceal them.

illegals shouldnt be here to commit any crime! At all!!!! I guess your ok with MS13 gang beating our women to death with hammers. Im not. Just shows how the left is full of it on the women issue. Kavanaugh was grilled...actual criminals are defended by people such as yourself and what you just unknowingly did to prove my point. I dont need your affirmation of being a lefty, your words define what you are. Are you going to sit there and actually claim there are no MS13 gang members here illegally. Say yes.

Most acts of terrorism by immigrants have been by 1st generation immigrants.

Crime stats as to who did it can not be counted for unsolved crimes. Often illegal migrants are deported rather than prosecuted. Illegal immigrants are massively a disproportionate percentage of prisoners in federal prisons. https://cis.org/Huennekens/DOJ-26-Federal-Prisoners-Are-Aliens

illegals shouldnt be here to commit any crime! At all!!!! I guess your ok with MS13 gang beating our women to death with hammers. Im not. Just shows how the left is full of it on the women issue. Kavanaugh was grilled...actual criminals are defended by people such as yourself and what you just unknowingly did to prove my point. I dont need your affirmation of being a lefty, your words define what you are. Are you going to sit there and actually claim there are no MS13 gang members here illegally. Say yes.

Are you going to sit there and actually claim there are no legal immigrants in MS13? If there are any legal immigrants, then by your stupid logic, we should disallow any LEGAL immigration.

Most acts of terrorism by immigrants have been by 1st generation immigrants.

Considering that all immigrants are "1st generation immigrants", 100% of all crimes by immigrants are committed by 1st generation immigrants.

And ?

Crime stats as to who did it can not be counted for unsolved crimes. Often illegal migrants are deported rather than prosecuted.

When it comes to violent crimes, who says that illegal migrants are not prosecuted but are just deported? Do you have any stats on that?

Illegal immigrants are massively a disproportionate percentage of prisoners in federal prisons. https://cis.org/Huennekens/DOJ-26-Federal-Prisoners-Are-Aliens

Your link does not state how many of those "aliens" were legal and how many were illegal. Further, how many of these are on charges of illegal entry itself? All those (correctly) imprisoned on charges of illegal entry are irrelevant to the topic.

Real stats

According to the libertarian think tank's analysis, the rate per 100,000 residents in each subpopulation was 899 for undocumented immigrants, 611 for legal immigrants and 1,797 for native-born Americans.

Good of you to point that out. The math says that if Trump's Wall cost too much before we damn sure can't afford it now.

Why? The economy is BOOMING and tax revenues are UP.

Why? Because we are for fiscal responsibility?

“Booming economy,” what, because unemployment is low? Yeah, unemployment goes down when people gotta work three jobs to survive.

I know this is terribly difficult, horribly confusing, and generally confounding, but do try to keep up for a moment:

The federal budget deficit swelled to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018, the Treasury Department said on Monday, driven in large part by a sharp decline in corporate tax revenues after the Trump tax cuts took effect

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/15/us/politics/federal-deficit-2018-trump-tax-cuts.html

The White House’s midyear budget projections see federal deficits surpassing $1 trillion in 2019

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...se-budget-projects-1-trillion-deficit-in-2019

Back
Top Bottom