• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Study Finds Same-Sex Parenting Isn’t Best For Kids

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I read a couple interesting articles today on a new study from a Catholic University on the effects of same-sex parenting.

Another Study Finds Same-Sex Parents Aren't Best For Kids

A study on the most comprehensive survey of U.S. adolescents ever finds children of same-sex parents report more sexual and physical abuse from their parents and other maladies

Does a child need a mother and a father? A new study says they do, confirming what we already knew through human experience and common sense yet is being increasingly denied by people who insist on putting adult desires above the rights of children.

The study by sociology professor Paul Sullins found that “[a]t age 28, the adults raised by same-sex parents were at over twice the risk of depression as persons raised by man-woman parents.” In addition, there was an “elevated risk associated with imbalanced closeness and parental child abuse in family of origin; depression, suicidality, and anxiety at age 15; and stigma and obesity.”

And...

Study: Children Of Gay Parents More Depressed | The Daily Caller

[FONT=&quot]A new study reveals that 51 percent of young-adult children of gay couples report ongoing bouts of depression, compared to just 20 percent for young adults raised by typical (male-female) parents.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The study, which was first pointed out in the Public Discourse by University of Texas at Austin sociology professor Mark Regnerus, was carried out by Catholic University sociology professor Paul Sullins, who examined data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to the study, 18.3 percent of adolescents being raised by typical parents reported depression, compared to 21.8 percent of adolescents raised by same-sex parents. By young-adulthood, though, the depression rate among children of typical parents dropped to 19.7 percent, while the depression rate of those raised by same-sex parents skyrocketed up to 51 percent.

Interesting eh? But what I could not figure out is why the articles said nothing of this part of the study...
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Despite the signal strengths of Add Health as a large nationally representative longitudinal dataset and notwithstanding the strong significance for contrast effects reported above, the very small size of the sample of children raised by lesbians imposes important limits and prompts great caution regarding the conclusions of this study. As with all observational studies, causal inference is not possible. Moreover, many subtle distinctions and pathways of influence simply cannot be addressed with only 20 cases, and unobserved differences between the parent comparison groups may well confound some or all of the child differences observed. [/FONT]

Weird. Why would they not mention that minor detail?

So pretty much every other study on the planet has shown homosexuals can raise children just as well and in many cases better than straight parents, but a CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY says gays suck at parenting so let's believe them.

I could have sworn I already addressed the value of studies with this video elsewhere.... :roll:

Oh well... it'll work here too. :coffeepap:

why does it matter. do we regulate "not the best for" out of things. NO. so why does this matter?

I've been expecting these studies for years. I grew up during a period when progressives spread the myth that single-parent households where a mother raised her children alone, is just as healthy of an environment as households where both the mother and father are present.
No one would suggest that single parent households are a good option today.

It only makes sense that a child needs a mother and father in their upbringing. Having 2 dads or 2 moms is unfair to a child.

I've been expecting these studies for years. I grew up during a period when progressives spread the myth that single-parent households where a mother raised her children alone, is just as healthy of an environment as households where both the mother and father are present.

It only makes sense that a child needs a mother and father in their upbringing. Having 2 dads or 2 moms is unfair to a child.

Just out of curiosity but what do you think the study means when they say...

"Moreover, many subtle distinctions and pathways of influence simply cannot be addressed with only 20 cases, and unobserved differences between the parent comparison groups may well confound some or all of the child differences observed."

So pretty much every other study on the planet has shown homosexuals can raise children just as well and in many cases better than straight parents, but a CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY says gays suck at parenting so let's believe them.

But this study had 20 same-sex couples! It is very representative and can be generalized to the whole population! There is no other possible discernable differences between this sample and the general population of parents! It isn't like same-sex couples adopt from the foster care system at higher rates or a child with a biological parent who is a lesbian may have experienced a broken home.

I'm going to try this again and see if I can get one honest answer:

All other things being equal, is a child better off being raised in a household with two parents of the same sex or two parents of different sexes??

Before anyone starts in with the usual garbage, I am not making any statement about whether a same sex couple, single parent, etc, can do a good job of parenting or whether teachers, aunts, uncles, neighbors can fill the role of the missing sex, I'm simply asking the question above. I fully expect that I'll get the usual accusations, goal-post shifting and off-topic comments, but hopefully someone will be honest enough give a direct answer to the question and possibly even a logical and rational explanation for their answer.

All other things being equal, is a child better off being raised in a household with two parents of the same sex or two parents of different sexes??

Before anyone starts in with the usual garbage, I am not making any statement about whether a same sex couple, single parent, etc, can do a good job of parenting or whether teachers, aunts, uncles, neighbors can fill the role of the missing sex, I'm simply asking the question above. I fully expect that I'll get the usual accusations, goal-post shifting and off-topic comments, but hopefully someone will be honest enough give a direct answer to the question and possibly even a logical and rational explanation for their answer.

A better question is how significant is the effect of the gender of the parents? Is it more or less than income, time, experience, extended family involvement, health issues, strength of marital relationship, etc.? You want an answer to a question that nobody could answer outside of conjecture, but your question itself is inherently flawed because why is the gender of parents even important?

A better question is how significant is the effect of the gender of the parents? Is it more or less than income, time, experience, extended family involvement, health issues, strength of marital relationship, etc.? You want an answer to a question that nobody could answer outside of conjecture, but your question itself is inherently flawed because why is the gender of parents even important?

..and that's the kind of goal-post shifting answers that always come up. It's a simple question that people will not answer. You'll avoid, re-define terms, change the question, but you won't answer the simple question....

I would say a child is better off if they have two loving, supportive parents. I don't much care for their gender; whether they're both of the same sex or the opposite sex really doesn't really matter.

I have read many studies & articles on the subject, and a good many of them were conducted/written by progressive liberal psychologists with biased views and agendas, much like the single parent studies & articles. That is just my own opinion, so another persons mileage may vary. I never give full trust to psychologists on the issue because a child's mental development is not a one size fits all.

With that said, I am not the one to say if either way is better or not.

But I do know for certain that any kid raised in the company of loving & caring adults, regardless of sexual orientation, is going to be far better off than not having them.

Gay parents are fine. What's bad for kids is a close encounter with a priest.

Here's an honest answer:

There is no proof that one is superior to the other

..and that's the kind of goal-post shifting answers that always come up. It's a simple question that people will not answer. You'll avoid, re-define terms, change the question, but you won't answer the simple question....

How can I answer it? You are asking for an opinion. My opinion is that if there is a difference, it is so insignificant that it is probably not measurable.

That was not the conclusion of any study...let alone this one. A child raised in a loving single parent home is not going to cause any development problems in the child for lack of second parent.

The study that showed an elevated risk factor in later depression in children placed with SS couples took into account that some of these children were from abused, abandoned and neglected attachments in the first relationships.

SS couples had the balls to take on the challenge of rearing a child from a broken home.
Invisible Victims: Delayed Onset Depression among Adults with Same-Sex Parents

These findings should be interpreted with caution. Elevated risk was associated with imbalanced parental closeness and parental child abuse in family of origin; depression, suicidality, and anxiety at age 15; and stigma and obesity. More research and policy attention to potentially problematic conditions for children with same-sex parents appears warranted.
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/drt/2016/2410392/

What is the ever loving f'n point of studies like this?

What's the end-game here?

Is the hope and desire to prevent gay couples from adopting?
Is the hope and desire to prevent gay couples from reproducing?
Is the hope and desire to prevent gay couples from getting married?
Is the hope and desire to prevent people from "becoming gay"?
Is the hope and desire to forcefully remove children from homes where there are two same-gendered adults as caretakers?

What's the stinking point?

As a society we can't prevent or prohibit any female of child bearing age from getting pregnant.

We can potentially prevent specific people from adopting.

So what's the end-game of these "studies"?

So diversity in a child's upbringing is unimportant??

"Diversity" only comes in the form of two people in a child's life?

Not grandparents, aunts, uncles, extended family, brothers, sisters, teachers, mentors, coaches, and if needed there's the Big-Brother and Big-Sister program in most cities around?

Last edited:
Kids need a father and a mother. That's why they have them. It's self evident. Mary and John will usually do a better job of raising their own flesh and blood than Merv and Jerry will do raising someone else's. They will also do better then Jane does on her own.

There are exceptions to any rule, but the nuclear family works out very well for MOST.

I would say a child is better off if they have two loving, supportive parents. I don't much care for their gender; whether they're both of the same sex or the opposite sex really doesn't really matter.

I think you're absolutely wrong. In order to understand the male/female dynamic, two parents of opposite sexes is important. And that's just a start. Your father teaches you what a man is, and how he treats a woman. Ditto for the mother. Two men or two women, with all the love and money in the world, still can't teach the same lessons.

Good parenting is being ridiculously over-simplified if the criteria for it is boiled down to the requirement of one penis, and one vagina.

There are far too many other variables that need to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom