• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another "Shipmate" lost Because Of The Veterans Hospital.

RetiredUSN

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A family buried a fellow shipmate today who died last week.

I had served with on 1 ship, a torpedo retriever, and 2 year stint up in Argentia NFLD with him.

We were buddies for 40 years.

My friend has had a progressive and serious knee pain from a torpedo recovery accident on retriever back in the 1980's. We were doing our recocery in rough seas when a MK-48 over slid the rollers while we were putting it inside and strapping it down. He was pinned between the nose of the torpedo and a bulkhead. He recovered after 6-7 weeks, but he was never the same again although, good enough to stay and finish his career. He has been waiting for new knee joints for over 3 years and takes quite a lot of meds for pain management. His doctor went on vacation without notifying him prior to arriving at the V.A for a scheduled appointment recently.

A Indian trained "witch doctor" who fill in for his doctor could see that he was stressed out and prescribed anti anxiety medication, even while knowing he was on some serious Opiod type pain meds.

He passed away in his sleep that very same night due to the meds slowing down his heart & respiratory.

:( I'm sorry man. That's ****ty.

A family buried a fellow shipmate today who died last week.

I had served with on 1 ship, a torpedo retriever, and 2 year stint up in Argentia NFLD with him.

We were buddies for 40 years.

My friend has had a progressive and serious knee pain from a torpedo recovery accident on retriever back in the 1980's. We were doing our recocery in rough seas when a MK-48 over slid the rollers while we were putting it inside and strapping it down. He was pinned between the nose of the torpedo and a bulkhead. He recovered after 6-7 weeks, but he was never the same again although, good enough to stay and finish his career. He has been waiting for new knee joints for over 3 years and takes quite a lot of meds for pain management. His doctor went on vacation without notifying him prior to arriving at the V.A for a scheduled appointment recently.

A Indian trained "witch doctor" who fill in for his doctor could see that he was stressed out and prescribed anti anxiety medication, even while knowing he was on some serious Opiod type pain meds.

He passed away in his sleep that very same night due to the meds slowing down his heart & respiratory.

That is fubar.

"Indian trained witch-doctor"? Really? How about the all-American pharmacist who filled the prescription?

VA and civilian pharmacies do not share a interconnected data base.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

From my own experience (since I am on a couple of daily meds - heart issues) anytime a doctor wants to put me on a new med, I ask the doctor and the pharmacist if the new drug can be taken with the other drugs without issues. I also do my own research with creditable medical sites on drug interactions. Then I decide if I am going to take the new drug.

It would be good if the VA and the private sector pharmacies had a shared database.

Back
Top Bottom